Author Topic: Nuclear Cloud Coming to California  (Read 7110 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Nuclear Cloud Coming to California
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I can't believe this. I am very angry now. My mother is supposed to be flying out to California from NY tomorrow. She just called and said she and my step-dad are afraid to fly to California because the news is reporting that a cloud of radio-active gas is on its way over the Pacific ocean headed for California. I have not seen my mother in over five years and I was hoping to have a good Purim Holiday with my parents. I had not heard anything about this radioactive cloud but I just googled it and it appears that there is some worry that there might be an increase in radioactivity in California over the next few weeks as the radioactive gas blows over the face of the world.

Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked when my mother told me because nobody where I work knows anything about this...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
Re: Nuclear Cloud Coming to California
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
I am no expert but most of what I have heard is that it would be close to impossible for the raidation to cross the Pacific and arrive in Calirornia.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
I can't believe this. I am very angry now. My mother is supposed to be flying out to California from NY tomorrow. She just called and said she and my step-dad are afraid to fly to California because the news is reporting that a cloud of radio-active gas is on its way over the Pacific ocean headed for California. I have not seen my mother in over five years and I was hoping to have a good Purim Holiday with my parents. I had not heard anything about this radioactive cloud but I just googled it and it appears that there is some worry that there might be an increase in radioactivity in California over the next few weeks as the radioactive gas blows over the face of the world.

Has anyone else heard about this? I was shocked when my mother told me because nobody where I work knows anything about this...

I have heard something of the nature, but have not seen anything concrete. Muman, you're coming to stay with me if it gets bad, no questions asked. I live close enough to NY that your parents can come here.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »

I am sure some trace amounts may make it to the west cost of America however I don't believe it would be enough to cause major problems... If the level does get higher then normal for a few day they might tell people to limit the time they spend outdoors... Your mom and step-dad should stick to their plans to visit I don't think there is any real danger.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
Thanks...

It looks like they are coming out anyway. They had made reservations weeks ago... I also assured them that any radiation effects will be minimal {as far as I have heard}...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »

Would you happen to have a source for this?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
Would you happen to have a source for this?

Here is a link to a LATIMES article on it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0316-california-radiation-20110316,0,6401831.story?track=rss

Japan radiation risk to California is downplayed

Health officials say there is no threat at this time because of the distance nuclear radiation would have to travel. But that is not stopping some from taking their own precautions.

Within days, nuclear radiation released from Japan's  damaged Fukushima reactors could reach California, but experts say the amount that makes its way across the ocean should pose no danger.

"What we're being told is that there is no threat to California at this time," said Mike Sicilia, a spokesman for the California Department of Public Health. "It's a matter of distance. Dangerous radioactivity could not cross the 5,000 miles of the Pacific without petering out."

The reassurances came as California and federal health officials opened hotlines to field questions about possible radiation risks. Environmental Protection Agency officials, who monitor radiation levels in air, milk and precipitation, said Tuesday that they plan to send additional staff to the Western U.S.

Potassium  iodide pills — used to prevent the body from absorbing radioactive iodine — have sold out at numerous stores despite warnings from health officials that the pills were unnecessary and could even have harmful side effects.

David McIntyre, a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in Washington, said his office was working Tuesday with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration "to project the jet stream and the path that any radiation might take."

The Department of Energy activated its atmospheric radioactivity monitoring center at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the Bay Area to create sophisticated computer models of how radioactive releases at Fukushima will spread into the atmosphere, according to a high-ranking energy department official. But he cautioned that "we've got to get good data to put into it for it to be a reliable predictor and basis for people entrusted with public safety to make decisions."

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »
Your own source confirms that there is "no threat to California" at this time. Therefore, your thread's title is misleading and needlessly provocative, wouldn't you say?

Oh well, I'm used to reading your unique, imaginative, and fanciful tales about your life and experience. They certainly add another element to the forum.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
Your own source confirms that there is "no threat to California" at this time. Therefore, your thread's title is misleading and needlessly provocative, wouldn't you say?

Oh well, I'm used to reading your unique, imaginative, and fanciful tales about your life and experience. They certainly add another element to the forum.

No, there are stories about people who are buying up the iodine pills because they believe that the government is lying to them.

And no, I did not post this to be provocative, I posted it because my mother and step-father are genuinely concerned for their safety because of media reports which suggest that the radiation may be deleterious to a persons health...

Here are more links if you like:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42113326/ns/local_news-los_angeles_ca/

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/03/16/surgeon-generals-comments-clarified-californians-rush-anti-radiation-drug

A drug used as a preventative measure against radiation is flying off the shelves in California amidst conflicting information from public health officials on whether or not Japan's nuclear crisis poses a threat to the West coast.

"It's a precaution," U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin told a television reporter Tuesday when asked whether citizens stocking up on potassium iodide, an over-the-counter drug that shields the thyroid from radiation, are taking "extreme" measures. "I haven't heard that, but it is a precaution."

But if Benjamin seemed to tacitly approve of residents buying up potassium iodide, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services clarified the remark to Fox News on Thursday. "She commented that it is always important to be prepared, however, she wouldn't recommend that anyone go out and purchase [potassium iodide] for themselves at this time," Dori Salcido said. "It's important for residents who have concerns to listen to state and local health authorities."

California public health officials Tuesday stressed that no one should start popping the pills. "Potassium iodide tablets are not recommended at this time, and can present a danger to people with allergies to iodine, shellfish, or who have thyroid problems," reads a statement on the California Department of Public Health website.

"There's no need for people to take them at this point," Jay Alan, Com

http://www.newsmax.com/US/RasmussenReports-Japan-Radiation-Fukushima/2011/03/16/id/389655

A sizable number of voters now worry that radiation released by the ongoing Japanese nuclear disaster may come to our shores, according to a new Rasmussen Reports poll.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 43 percent of Likely Voters are now at least somewhat concerned that any radiation that escapes from Japanese nuclear plants may reach the United States, including 17 percent who are Very Concerned about this possibility.

Most voters (56 percent) don’t share that concern, with 17 percent who are Not At All Concerned.

Women are more concerned than men about the possibility of radiation reaching the United States. African-Americans are more worried about this potential danger than whites are.

The survey was taken Monday and Tuesday evenings amid contradictory news reports about the ongoing and deteriorating situation at the Fukushima nuclear plant. Despite calming statements from most public health officials, there has been a run in California on potassium iodide tablets which help protect against radiation-induced thyroid cancer.

Americans are definitely monitoring events in Japan. Ninety-one percent of voters say they are following news reports about the recent earthquake in Japan that led to the nuclear catastrophe. This includes 53 percent who say they are following Very Closely.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters nationwide was conducted on March 14-15, 2011, by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points.

Read more on Newsmax.com: Rasmussen: 43% Worry Japan Radiation May Reach US
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

I do not know whether or not there is a risk... Depending on the source you read it is either nothing to worry about or maybe there is something to worry about. Another reason I posted this is because I am wondering if anyone else has heard anything...

PS: There is nothing misleading about my title. There is a nuclear cloud approaching California whether you believe it or not. The government is tracking it at this very moment...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
Here is an interactive map showing the Nuclear Clouds progression across the Pacific...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html?ref=science

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
According to this film http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5384001427276447319#
it took the Soviets 7 months to deal with Chernobyl, the use of 500,000 men close-in, with thousands 'sacrificed', and even then another explosion that could have rendered all of Europe uninhabitable was only narrowly avoided.

In other words, unless the Japanese find/recruit/bribe/threaten Japanese or non-Japanese men who are prepared to actually get in close and work manually in the radioactive debris in what would basically be suicide-work (to the authoritarian Soviets in 1986 this was not a problem: orders were obeyed unquestioningly), the problem is unsolvable, and that just like the Gulf oil leak, if this radioactive leak goes on long enough unchecked (ie years), it could become an "Extinction Event" for the whole world, let alone Japan?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:22:15 PM by wonga66 »

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
According to this film http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5384001427276447319#
it took the Soviets months to deal with Chernobyl, the use of 500,000 men close-in, with thousands 'sacrificed', and even then another explosion that could have rendered all of Europe uninhabitable was only narrowly avoided.

In other words, unless the Japanese find/recruit/bribe/threaten Japanese or non-Japanese men who are prepared to actually get in close and work manually in the radioactive debris in what would basically be suicide-work (to the authoritarian Soviets in 1986 this was not a problem: orders were obeyed unquestioningly), the problem is unsolvable, and that just like the Gulf oil leak, if this radioactive leak goes on long enough unchecked (ie years), it could become an [COLOR="red"]"Extinction Event"[/COLOR] for the whole world, let alone Japan?
Where did you get your nuclear physics degree  :::D ?

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »
The Nips were more than willing to die for the Emperor in 1944!

Woe to Nippon for the loss of that suicidal Kamikaze spirit in 2011, in that they cannot find one worker who's prepapred to give up his life Seppeku-style for the Emperor today to save Nippon itself by going in to the radioactive debris!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »
The Nips were more than willing to die for the Emperor in 1944!

Woe to Nippon for the loss of that suicidal Kamikaze spirit in 2011, in that they cannot find one worker who's prepapred to give up his life Seppeku-style for the Emperor today to save Nippon itself by going in to the radioactive debris!
The Nips should be use to that radiation by now... The problem is the rest of us aren't  :o :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »
Good Rumor!  :o :::D
I just love that wabbit.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
If you go to Denver or some other high altitude spot, you will have higher radiation levels than the areas around the power plant.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Now we can have our long awaited east coast JTF retreat if you guys from the west coast come here.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Wonga where do you get your info?  There is a group of japanese men doing the suicide mission to try to save the populace there.   They have a nickname I forget now

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:47 AM »
So far nobody is glowing yet. Although if they were we would probably think it was a Purim prank...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
So far nobody is glowing yet. Although if they were we would probably think it was a Purim prank...

I thought I read that passengers on a flight from tokyo to canada or somewhere set off radiation detectors

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »

TBF is right about this. This is conspiracy theory type stuff. We should do our part to stop such rumors.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
TBF is right about this. This is conspiracy theory type stuff. We should do our part to stop such rumors.

No it is not a conspiracy theory. The radiation has already reached CA Friday afternoon. Btw what would be the 'conspiracy' in this story?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/17/science/la-sci-japan-nuclear-usa-20110317

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
"Small amounts of radiation headed for California, but no health risk seen"

"but no health risk seen"

The "but no health risk seen" is conveniently forgotten by all the fear mongering conspiracy types. We are exposed to all sorts of radiation every day. A NON-MELTED DOWN reactor in Japan is not going to create any health consequences in the continental USA. It is completely irresponsible to describe anything currently emanating from Japan as a "Nuclear Cloud" that has the ability to cross a huge body of water. It's fear mongering at best.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
"Small amounts of radiation headed for California, but no health risk seen"

The "but no health risk seen" is conveniently forgotten by all the fear mongering conspiracy types. We are exposed to all sorts of radiation every day. A NON-MELTED DOWN reactor in Japan is not going to create any health consequences in the continental USA. It is completely irresponsible to describe anything currently emanating from Japan as a "Nuclear Cloud" that has the ability to cross a huge body of water. It's fear mongering at best.

I never said, in any post, that the radiation was a danger. I initially asked if anyone had heard about the nuclear cloud which came to California... It is not a conspiracy. It is a valid concern for people who live in the path of the cloud.

See the 1st post @ http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,53957.msg499611.html#msg499611

See also : http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/sacramento-sensor-detects-trace-amounts-radiation-9309

Federal officials said today that a Sacramento radiation detector found a miniscule amount of a radioactive isotope that is consistent with material released from a stricken Japanese nuclear reactor complex.

A joint Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy press release says the detector found 0.1 disintegrations per second per cubic meter of air of xenon-133, a radioactive isotope produced during nuclear fission.

It's hard to comprehend how little radiation that is. For comparison, the press release said that amount is equivalent to one-millionth the dose of radiation a person normally receives from background sources, like rocks, bricks and the sun.

So I don't know how you can call it a conspiracy considering trace amounts of radiation WERE detected in California. I was concerned, for a good reason, considering that my parents are here this weekend. Again, the purpose of this thread is not to say that there is danger, it is to discuss what impact, if any, the cloud will have. But if you want to think it is a conspiracy, fine with me... But I doubt you live on the west coast...

Also, are you suggesting that simply the thread titled 'Nuclear Cloud Coming to California' is misleading? I think it is entirely appropriate. It does not suggest that there is danger, it only leaves the question whether there is.... I will say again, I know at this time that the radiation poses no health risk. Every article I have quoted here also says clearly that there is no health risk.... So I really don't know what your 'problem' with this thread is...

http://ahharsfnews.com/2011/03/19/just-letting-everybody-know-radiation-from-japans-meltdown-is-not-a-san-diego-problem
Federal and state officials say testing indicates radioactivity spewing from Japan's crippled nuclear reactors presents no health threats along the West Coast. A radioactive plume that reached Southern California Friday dissipated so much it posed no health risk to residents., authorities said.

Health and radiation experts say any radioactive materials that may have been carried the 5,500 miles across the ocean from Japan to the United States are highly diluted and harmless.

"Everything that you can get exposed to right now is much less than what you would get with a typical chest X-ray," said Dr. Richard Clark, director of the UCSD Division of Medical Toxicology.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:09:26 PM by muman613 »