Author Topic: "Kosher" Style Mexican Food For Passover  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
"Kosher" Style Mexican Food For Passover
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »
I believe it was our global moderator Takebackourtemple who posted about so-called kosher "style" restaurants, and how misleading they are. 

Well now, the upscale Manhattan Mexican restaurant Rosa Mexicano is getting in on the act the act as well.  This is despite the fact that Rosa Mexicano is NOT a kosher restaurant, and that it serves shrimp dishes, along side dairy and meat dishes. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_dnainfo/adios-gefilte-fish-hola-mexican-passover#mwpphu-container
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANHATTAN — An average Passover meal might include matzoh ball soup, gelfite fish with horseradish and brisket chased down with some sweet Manischewitz wine.

But during a holiday where eating out can be tricky, New York Jews looking to spice up their bread-free week can find a twist on the Passover meal at several of the city's top Mexican restaurants.

Barbecued brisket is wrapped in a banana leaf and haroset, a traditional dish typically made with apples and nuts, includes tropical fruits at Rosa Mexicano, whose Manhattan outposts — in Union Square, Lincoln Center and the Upper East Side — are offering "Mexican Passover" throughout the holiday, from Apr. 18 — 25.

Manischewitz is added to poached pears that are layered in a toasted hazelnut and matzoh cake with piloncillo-crème fraiche frosting.

Visit DNAinfo.com for more food photos>

Mexican Passover has become one of Rosa Mexicano's most popular offerings in its lineup of festivals throughout the year. A growing number of families have been booking tables to have their own seders there, with the restaurant making the seder plate, said chef Joe Quinatana, the restaurant's executive regional chef of New York, who is based in the Union Square outpost.

"The second night is becoming more popular," Quintana said. "It's becoming the international night."

Dos Caminos, which has restaurants in SoHo, the Meatpacking District, Gramercy and the Upper East Side, will be offering "Passover-inspired" specials during the week. Toloache in Midtown will be offering Passover dishes during the week, as it has been doing since opening in 2007.

Tolache chef Julian Medina's matzoh ball soup is made with zucchini, carrots and an epazote and jalepeno-scented chicken consommé. His brisket is braised with chipotle and served in a taco made of matzoh tortilla. There's also a dulce de leche matzoh pudding.

The Mexican-born Medina (who is currently traveling in Mexico) converted to Judaism when he married a Jewish woman, Annie Sigal, who was born and raised on the Upper East Side, the restaurant's publicist said.

Visit DNAinfo.com for a sampling of Mexican Passover recipes>

"When their daughter Olivia was born, they found a way to reinterpret Passover dinner to reflect their new family," she explained. "Once they tasted the new dishes, they knew they had to offer this menu at the restaurants."

The food at these restaurants is Kosher-style rather than strictly Kosher, meaning the dishes respect the general tenets, avoiding mixing milk and meat (which is always forbidden) and nixing leavened bread. But they do not use special Kosher dishes, cook on counters specifically cleaned and prepped for the holiday or have rabbinical supervision.

Rosa Mexicano follows the rules for Sephardic Jews, who unlike Askenazi Jews eat corn and rice during the holiday.

The popular upscale Mexican restaurant began adding Passover dishes to its menu nine years ago, after CEO Howard Greenstone was talking to investors from Mexico about the tradition of Jewish culture in Mexico.

"I think there are more Mexican Jews out there that you hear about," Quintana said, recalling a group of Mexican Jews who ate in the Union Square branch this week.

Although Quintana is not Jewish, he has learned a lot about the traditions of Passover, he said, and he enjoys how the menu fuses cultures together. He especially likes the tacos de lengua in which paper-thin slices of seared beef tongue in handmade corn tortillas are topped with salsa and a hard-boiled egg.

"I'm not religious, but I enjoy doing this every year," he said. "You get a different crowd that wants to try something new."

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Re: "Kosher" Style Mexican Food For Passover
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:53:41 AM »
This food can't be Kosher. Jews don't eat shrimp.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »
Of course it's not kosher, Hot Spot.  That's why it's offensive that they would even have a "Passover Menu" made with unkosher meat. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
Of course it's not kosher, Hot Spot.  That's why it's offensive that they would even have a "Passover Menu" made with unkosher meat.  
I agree this place is treif, treif, treif. It is very sad that some Jews may actually fall because of this deception.

But I do know that there is real kosher Mexican food. Once when I visited my Rabbis house a few years ago he served real kosher burritos... of course it was not kosher for passover...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:11:58 AM »
I've been told by a lot of people that travel north that you don't find real Mexican food up there anyway. A lot of the popular Mexican food involves Lard so I don't see how much of it could be kosher unless it was substantially changed anyway.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:53 AM »
Blech...any jew who would eat this has bad taste buds.

Fyi  I know the jews who do pesach in these places are reform and eat pepperoni pizza the next day.  Might as well be mormon and pick and choose Gd's laws.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:02:53 AM »

Kosher Lard and shrimp?

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »
I've been told by a lot of people that travel north that you don't find real Mexican food up there anyway. A lot of the popular Mexican food involves Lard so I don't see how much of it could be kosher unless it was substantially changed anyway.
Lots of luck finding anything with lard these days; most uses hydrogenated oil (petrolatum jelly) these days or if you are really lucky liquid soybean oil (not terrible, but cheap and ghetto).

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:53 PM »
I love Kosher Mexican food. Well, I love all Mexican food, but the Kosher restaurants really got it nailed.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
Lots of luck finding anything with lard these days; most uses hydrogenated oil (petrolatum jelly) these days or if you are really lucky liquid soybean oil (not terrible, but cheap and ghetto).

You have to find the right places to go to, yes.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
You have to find the right places to go to, yes.
It darn near has to be homemade for that. Hydrogenated oil or cheap soybean/canola oil is also much cheaper than lard. Generally you have to go to a fairly nice, expensive restaurant to avoid those but they would likely use sunflower or olive oil (not bad but not authentic) for health reasons.