Author Topic: A Link to some of the latest archaeological finds regarding Tekhelet  (Read 6548 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
A Link to some of the latest archaeological find regarding Tekhelet
http://www.baruchsterman.com/
Let us recall that parshat Shlach does not just deal with the sin of the spies.
It also records the commandment to wear Tzitzit with Tekhelet

Below is a picture of Tzitzit with Tekhelet, from http://www.vilnagaon.org/solutions.htm according to the viewpoint of the majority of rishonim and achronim [including the view of Mishna Brura] that half of the Tzitzit strings be Tekhelet

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: A Link to some of the latest archaeological finds regarding Tekhelet
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:21:19 AM »
Yes, at this time my signature line contains the part where the command to wear tzit-tzits are given...

On the complex issue of techelit... I have discussed this with several of my Rabbis and there is not consensus on the topic. Some still say that the custom is to wear all-white tzit-tzits since there has been confusion concerning the source of the blue dye.

Im sure you know more than I concerning the facts. I will let you relate them if you wish...

PS: I do have a friend who wears tzit-tzits with this blue dye you are referring to.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
Here is what Chabad says concerning the reasons for not wearing the blue string...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/529771/jewish/Why-do-some-have-a-blue-string-in-their-tzitzit.htm

Why do some people have a blue string among their tzitzit fringes?

By Menachem Posner

We read in the Torah:1 "Speak to the children of Israel and you shall say to them that they shall make for themselves fringes (tzitzit) on the corners of their garments, throughout their generations, and they shall affix a thread of techelet on the fringe of each corner."

The verse contains two commandments; one it to affix (white) fringes on the corners of a four-cornered garment, and the other is to add a thread of techelet to each corner. These two commandments are independent of each other. When techelet is available we are enjoined to add a techelet fringe to the tzitzit, and when unavailable we fulfill the mitzvah with plain white fringes.

Techelet is wool dyed with the blood extracted from a sea animal called the chilazon.

So why is it not so common today to have a techelet fringe on the tallit or tzitzit? At a certain point in history, approximately 1000 years ago, the chilazon, which was always hard to come by -- to the extent that the Talmud2 tells us that it only surfaced once every seventy years -- became unavailable altogether. After a while, its exact identity became unknown.

There have been many who have tried to rediscover the identity of the chilazon. Most notably among them were the Radziner Rebbe, Rabbi Gershon Henoch Leiner (1839-1891) and Israeli Chief Rabbi Y.I. Herzog (1889-1959).

Rabbi Leiner maintained that the cuttlefish was the lost chilazon and proceeded to produce and distribute dye produced from this fish.

Recently, the marine snail Murex Trunculus has been identified as possibly being the elusive chilazon, and many use its dye.

Most communities, however, view the findings of these groups as uncertain, and therefore continue to wear only white fringes, awaiting the coming of Moshiach when Elijah himself will guide us in uncovering the identity of the chilazon.

Yours truly,

Rabbi Menachem Posner
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:27:51 AM »
And here is the conclusion of Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld's Daf Yomi page:

http://www.dafyomi.co.il/menachos/techeles/shelach2.htm

IN CONCLUSION

So now what?
What does all this mean for us? Can it be said, halachically, that the true Techelet -- or at least a very likely candidate for it -- has been "rediscovered?" Is it now binding upon us once again, as it was in antiquity, to add this dye to our Tzitzit?

Halachically there does not yet seem to be an obligation to wear the present Techelet. True, there is a rule that "When there is a doubt as to the correct Halachic ruling, one must follow the more stringent view when it comes to a question of a Torah (as opposed to Rabbinical) precept." This would seem to imply that even if our identification of Chilazon with Murex Trunculus is not absolutely certain, we should be obligated to wear the newly discovered Techelet "just in case." Nevertheless, due to various considerations which are not within the scope of this article, that ruling would not seem to apply in this case.

However, there is another interesting ramification of the emergence of the Techelet. Rav Chaim Vital in Shaar HaKavvanot (Tzitzit, Drush 4) writes that Techelet represents Hashem's presence being clearly felt by all. This is why, he tells us, Techelet was only widely accessible during -- or close to -- the times when the Temple was standing. These were the times when Hashem's Presence among Israel was manifest for all to see. After the exile and its attendant hardships intensified, however, when Hashem's Presence among His people is less evident, Techelet became "hidden" as well. If so, the "return" of Techelet may be taken as an indication that the manifestation of Hashem's Presence in this world, too, will be returning to its former state. (There is also a tradition from Rav Nachman of Breslov that some time before the advent of the Messianic era the Mitzvah of Techelet will be reinstated -- HaTechelet p. 186 note 21, see Likutei Tfilot 1:49). Some Rabbinic authorities even showed reluctance to acknowledge the Halachic validity of the various Techelets because of these far-reaching implications.

Whatever hidden meaning there may be in the almost mystical reappearance of the Chilazon and the Techelet during the past decades, may we merit to actually see Hashem's hand in the final redemption, speedily in our days!

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:33:56 AM »
quote from muman613
This is why, he tells us, Techelet was only widely accessible during -- or close to -- the times when the Temple was standing. These were the times when Hashem's Presence among Israel was manifest for all to see. After the exile and its attendant hardships intensified, however, when Hashem's Presence among His people is less evident, Techelet became "hidden" as well. If so, the "return" of Techelet may be taken as an indication that the manifestation of Hashem's Presence in this world, too, will be returning to its former state.
The Talmud testifies that many centuries after the destruction of the Temple, the mitzva of Tekhelet was still being performed, so the whole argument doesn't get off the ground.
Secondly, you can't use Kabbala to undo halacha.
Thirdly, even the terms used by the Kabbalists can be interpreted in several ways. Some of them which don't contradict the attempt to renew Tekhelet at all.
As far as the other issue you raised of waiting for Eliyahu, the question is, are those people being consistent about waiting for Eliyahu in other areas.
For example, do they abstain from eating Turkey, because we don't really have a tradition that the bird is Kosher, but rather it is more or less accepted as Kosher based on the signs of the species. Do they abstain from using Shabbat Elevators or other technology that we never had in the past until Eliyahu comes?
Here's a link for an audio shiur by the Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshiva University Rabbi Schachter who supports Tekhelet
http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/760943/Rabbi_Hershel_Schachter/Techeiles_(Tekhelet)_and_Mesorah_-_good_sound and deals with several halachic issues related to the subject

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:38:28 AM »
Techelet is real 100% is has all the signs. Steadfast, from a sea creature that takes on the color of the sea, expensive , has a shell. Chilazon also means snail. Even if its not the exact snail its is worst case in the same species much like there are different types of deer but all deer are kosher.

Plus it looks nice! Popular with religious nationalists .

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
Here's a Tekhelet movie that goes into some depth on the topic

As a reminder, I have not seen, other movies, made by the organization that made the above movie and I make no endorsements.
The second link about Tekhelet is to a story that claims that a 2000 year old sample  dyed with Tekhelet was found at Masada.
http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=210753 Here is a picture from the article.

Note that it is a darker blue than the average Tekhelet string we see on the market. But all shades of blue are kosher Tekhelet, although darker is superior to lighter.
See Ramban's commentary to Bamidbar/Numbers 15:38 for proof that Tekhelet is a range of blue shades.
When I say blue shades I am also including a bluish-purple shade.
If you read Hebrew you can also see additional sources why Tekhelet includes a range of blue shades in the article at http://www.vilnagaon.org/tt1.htm
There seems to be an argument among our Rabbis if it also includes some shades of green.
Now for the sake of honesty, the Jerusalem Post article proves that 2000 years ago, a dye from a sea mollusc (used by many that wear the new Tekhelet today)  was brought to Masada. It does not offer proof that this in fact was Tekhelet and not some other valuable dye.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
I think it should also be considered that after sitting in masada ruins for 2000 years, it may not come out looking the same as it did then!  How do you think your shirt will look after 2000 years, lol

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:30 AM »
I think it should also be considered that after sitting in masada ruins for 2000 years, it may not come out looking the same as it did then!  How do you think your shirt will look after 2000 years, lol

My response:

They don't make em like they used to...

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »
A friend of mine asked me, how can they be so sure what is the source of the dye from the sample found in Masada.
I answered him that in the Youtube video that I posted above between 14 and 1/2 and 15 minutes into the movie, we are told that we now have the ability to do a chemical test on the wool, to show the exact dye origins of the dye on the wool.