Author Topic: "Jewish" rapping  (Read 11647 times)

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
"Jewish" rapping
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
"Jewish" rappers are more pathetic than any other living and breathing entity on the planet. What morons

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: "Jewish" rapping
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:11:17 AM »
Which of the following types do you consider "Jewish" ?
Shyne ?

Drake ?

Matisyau ?

Subliminal ?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
Shyne and Drake are not even Halachically Jewish

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
Drake's mother is Jewish, his father's black.

Shyne claims to be a convert, but he is not just a simple Jew, he is a Levi:
Born Jamaal Michael Barrow, Shyne also goes by the Hebrew name Moshe Levi Ben-David.
http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/60620/orthodox-rapper-shyne-wooing-kanye-jay-z

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
What a load of Nazi BS

Shyne claims to be a convert, but he is not just a simple Jew, he is a Levi:
Born Jamaal Michael Barrow, Shyne also goes by the Hebrew name Moshe Levi Ben-David.
http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/60620/orthodox-rapper-shyne-wooing-kanye-jay-z
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:33:48 AM by Yosef Andarian »

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
All rappers are pathetic and untalented. Regardless of race and or religion.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
All rappers are pathetic and untalented. Regardless of race and or religion.

When they are supposed to be G-d's representors on earth (the Chosen People), they're much much worse
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:16:55 AM by Yosef Andarian »

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
When they are supposed to be G-d's representors on earth, they're much much worse

No question about that.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
Rap isn't my cup of tea and I don't recommend that style of music especially or religious Jew like Matisyahu...

but it is what it is.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
Matisyahu does a lot more than 'rap'. He is a very talented artist. I think youndont know what you are talking about.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
Another thing... Why do you find it necessary to denigrate other Jews? I know Matisyahu is Jewish, have davened with him in minyan, and I find it strange that ever since I have known you all you do is denigrate others. Do you think you are doing the Jewish people a service by being such a complainer? Do you look for good in your fellow Jew or do you suffer from the dementia of Baseless Hatred {which in my experience you hate way too many people}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »
Rap isn't my cup of tea and I don't recommend that style of music especially or religious Jew like Matisyahu...

but it is what it is.

Art is art and to put a label like 'rap' on it is ridiculous. Matisyahu covers many diverse styles of music and I think he is awesome and talented which is more than can be said about the original poster of this thread... I wonder what talents this poster has aside from trying to disparage others.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »
Is this rap?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
Gangster Rap is an infection on society though and I join in condemning those who push that garbage on the populace.

But you cannot just label all those who perform music which some call 'rap' or others 'hip-hop' and equate it to gangster rap. I don't like rap in general but Matisyahu surely is not rap... He has touched on hip-hop and reggae and other styles but he is an artist and is not a 'rapper' as was stated by the OP...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
I just realized that the OP did not explicitly mention Matisyahu... Therefore maybe my response was not warranted. I don't know the other ones which Zelhar posted so I cannot comment. I do know Subliminal and occasionally listen to it but it is not my favorite...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »
Everybody is entitled to the type of music they like to listen to.. For me it is all about melody and harmony...

Rap and hip hop "Melodies" rarely do it for me.  It is what it is.  In my opinion, I wish Matisyahu used a different style of music for his great lyrics.  But it is what it is.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
Like I always say: rap crap.
In this case, its jewish crap. Or jews crapping.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
I like Matisyahus music, his music is not rap but Reggae.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »
I like Matisyahus music, his music is not rap but Reggae.

So answer this question for me.  Why would a white jew who just happens to be religious imitate music sung by blacks?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
So answer this question for me.  Why would a white jew who just happens to be religious imitate music sung by blacks?

Matisyahu is not imitating black music... He is an artist who does many different styles of music. It is incorrect to label his art as 'rap' or 'reggae'... I think attempting to pigeon-hole his talent is a waste of time.

Then you can argue why would a Jew sing rock music, as it was ultimately invented by the blacks {as many musicoligists will point to the evolution of rock music through jazz & blues music}... And then you would attack all Jewish rock singers... And then you would start to attack Shlomo Carlebach who used a Guitar {which was not invented by Jews} and sang music which is similar to other music...

If he produced music which was morally wrong or supported opinions which run contrary to Judaism then I would condemn it... But Matisyahu is genuinely Jewish and his lyrics and his music are inspiring to many good Jews.

What is your beef with Matisyahu? Most people who comment have no idea what they are commenting on...

PS: Many great Rock bands also play Reggae... Does that make them black culture? No... Music style is not culture, it is a style of music which is inspiring to many.  Also it is true that many melodies which we sing on Shabbat are not originally Jewish melodies but they are rather melodies of European origin. Should we not sing these Shabbat melodies?

http://www.jewishmag.com/129mag/jewish_music/jewish_music.htm

Following the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE, Jews were dispersed throughout the world. As a result, all aspects of Jewish culture—including music—took on diverse and variegated forms. “After the dispersion,” wrote composer Herbert Fromm, “[Jewish] sacred music was exposed to the ever changing influence of other nations.” Consciously or unconsciously, Jews heard certain music in the various countries in which they lived, and absorbed it into whatever musical tradition they had. For this reason, musicologists have been unable to isolate a common melody—sacred or secular—shared by all of the world’s Jewish communities.

This great diversity has led many to ask, “What is Jewish in Jewish music?” The truth is that there really is no definitive answer to this question. In fact, the most widely accepted description of Jewish music is functional rather than definitional: “Jewish music is that music which is made by Jews, for Jews, as Jews” (Curt Sachs). In other words, rather than trying to determine what styles of music are fundamentally Jewish, it is better to look for that music which functions Jewishly: music for the synagogue, Jewish weddings, Jewish theater, etc. In this connection, musicologist Marsha Bryan Edelman observed that, while it may be impossible to define Jewish music, there is certainly “music of the Jews.”

Offline Rational Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »
Did any of you hear the songs by ill bill and necro?
Jew or Gentile, Black or White - Against Islam we must unite!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
Did any of you hear the songs by ill bill and necro?

I never heard of them...

Offline Rational Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I never heard of them...

What about Beastie Boys?

Also, what are your thoughts on House of Pain? They're not jews, but im just wondering
Jew or Gentile, Black or White - Against Islam we must unite!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »
What about Beastie Boys?

Also, what are your thoughts on House of Pain? They're not jews, but im just wondering

I remember the Beastie Boys... Never much of a fan though. I think I had 'License to Ill' back in the days...

After my Teshuva I have not listened to that kind of music though... I only listen to 60s-80s Rock and a little HM...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
Muman

I'm not attacking matisyahu our his message.  I'm just not a fan of that style of music even if the message is good.

In my opinion, the more appropriate method should be what is common in today's jewish melodies. But that's my opinion.

Gd forbid if I should say matisyahu is evil or something.