Author Topic: "The Book of Mormon" Broadway Play  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
"The Book of Mormon" Broadway Play
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
This play was created by the makers of South Park.  I just saw it last night and it was pretty funny and making fun Mormons in particular, but really any fake religion out there that has a "prophet" that makes up stories.  It also makes fun of the degeneracy of African Blacks who rape babies etc etc.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: "The Book of Mormon" Broadway Play
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »
I know it offends mormons quite a bit. Generally speaking I am always on the side of free speech but still I don't think this play has a place in broadway. And also there could be slander involved. Do mormons send their missionaries to poor villages africa ? Sounds more like the Catholics and Evangelicals. I think Mormons usually hunt wealthy people whom they they can tax.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »
I know it offends mormons quite a bit. Generally speaking I am always on the side of free speech but still I don't think this play has a place in broadway. And also there could be slander involved. Do mormons send their missionaries to poor villages africa ? Sounds more like the Catholics and Evangelicals. I think Mormons usually hunt wealthy people whom they they can tax.

No, indeed mormons do send missions to all areas of the world. They do help the poor. I recently befriended a Mexican born man who is bringing his family up in the mormon faith. I have nothing negative to say about the man. He is a hard worker, has a good head on his shoulders, and when we are together we read Tanakh and discuss events. The other day I showed him videos about how evil the muslim brotherhood is and how important it is to keep Israel under Jewish sovereignty. Also he has never attempted to get me to accept anything other than Jewish scripture (although Christian translations of Tanakh are often a bit different).

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
I don't like anything that makes fun of people's religions, as long as your religion don't say to kill people it's ok by me.
Most religions try to make the world a better place. (except the mussies)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
I have nothing against Mormons.  They strike me as hard working.  Also their churches/temples are very involved with charity for their communities.  I read a while back about how they store massive amounts of grain in case of emergencies. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »
The point of the musical was not the made up stories created by the mormon religion.  It was about how religion, no matter how ridiculous the plot was, was meant to make people more civilized.

Mormonism is a good example of that. The story of smith is so bizarre.  However despite the plot, most mormons live moral lives. Isn't that what it's all about?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:32 PM »
I like Mormons.  In general, they're honest, extremely decent, have good family values.  They do NOT pproselytize if you tell them that you are Jewish, or not interested.  They support Israel

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:08 AM »
Mormons are good people. They have beautiful families and good values. There are some of their beliefs which I find terribly wrong and wonder how grown men and women go along with it but that's not at issue here so no need to get into it. I respectfully disagree but respect if they do their thing. I had the opportunity to learn a lot about them and was close to some very nice mormon people so I know they're well meaning people. (Yes I do know a lot about their doctrines which is why I don't associate much with them anymore nor hold any interest in befriending them)

The only thing that turns me to the point of loathing the LDS church is how they take the names of Jews who died in the holocaust and "baptize" them in their temples. Jewish groups have told them to stop and for the most part they say they stopped but somehow the names of Jews added to their databases continue to grow....because they still do it!  Consequently, the mormon church posthumously baptized hitler and Anne Frank together as well as thousands of dead Jewish holocaust victims! They even posthumously baptized the Rambam!

These are regular members who submit names of dead people to be baptized and a church member stands in as proxy for the dead person. It infuriates me but I am sure some LDS members would also disagree with this insult. But overall doesn't sound like church cares to leave dead Jews alone. It is utterly disrespectful. Once again I am sure regular mormons would disagree but this is a growing problem that the LDS church refuses to fix and maybe it's something their members can stand up against, if they are indeed descent people. Should they dare go up against church leadership, who knows. Maybe they would idly stand by letting their leadership continue this, who knows. Honestly, I no longer associate with them. I leave them alone and don't mess with them. Sure mormons will leave you alone if you tell them you're Jewish, they'll just wait until you're dead to make you a member though.

Here is an example:
Holocaust Survivors Want Mormons to Stop Baptizing Dead Jews http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449727,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead#Criticism_of_vicarious_baptism_of_Jewish_Nazi_Victims

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:48:39 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:48:27 AM »
Mormons are good people. They have beautiful families and good values. There are some of their beliefs which I find terribly wrong and wonder how grown men and women go along with it but that's not at issue here so no need to get into it. I respectfully disagree but respect if they do their thing.

The only thing that turns me to the point of loathing the LDS church is how they take the names of Jews who died in the holocaust and "baptize" them in their temple. Jewish groups have told them to stop and for the most part they say they stopped but somehow the names of Jews added to their databases continue to grow.  Consequently, the mormon church posthumously baptized hitler and Anne Frank together as well as thousands of dead Jewish holocaust victims! They even posthumously baptized the Rambam!

These are regular members who submit names of dead people to be baptized and a church member stands in as proxy for the dead person. It infuriates me but I am sure some LDS members would also disagree with this insult. But overall doesn't sound like church cares to leave dead Jews alone. It is utterly disrespectful. Once again I am sure regular mormons would disagree but this is a growing problem that the LDS church refuses to fix and maybe it's something their members can stand up against, if they are indeed descent people. Should they dare go up against church leadership, who knows. Maybe they would idly stand by letting their leadership continue this, who knows. Honestly, I no longer associate with them. I leave them alone and don't mess with them. Sure mormons will leave you alone if you tell them you're Jewish, they'll just wait until you're dead to make you a member though.

Here is an example:
Holocaust Survivors Want Mormons to Stop Baptizing Dead Jews http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449727,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead#Criticism_of_vicarious_baptism_of_Jewish_Nazi_Victims

I agree with you.  They aren't 'evil' and I think they are picked on quite a bit because of their strange beliefes and because many gentiles find their views offensive and going against Christianity.

However, Left-wingers hate them more than christians do.  They even made a leftist play about the 'evil' Mormons and their 'intolerance' towards homosexuality.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »
Well to be quite honest I think like 90% of Mormons are great people. The other 10% ARE evil and that includes every man who calls himself a "prophet" along with "the quorum of the twelve apostles"  who claim to communicate with G-d. And the other half are the ones who keep baptizing dead Jews. And I do pick on the ones who continue this practice.

But the rest are good people, I just don't associate with them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 02:17:50 AM »
Yeah, that baptizing dead Jews thing bothered me for a while. But when I thought about it it really doesn't make a difference. Jewish belief in the afterlife is the important thing. What others believe is their own business. Bottom line is that a dead Jews soul has Gan Eden. Even the wicked Jews have a part of Gan Eden although they most certainly spend time in Gehinnom. The gentiles can believe that their hocus-pocus has an effect on the Jews soul but it really has none. The only thing which has effect on a Jewish soul is when someone says Kaddish in honor of their loved ones. Kaddish is a way for mourners to express their devotion and elevate the soul of the departed.

http://www.ou.org/news/article/kaddish

The Meaning of Kaddish

Having read the translation of the Kaddish Prayer, one should realize that, although Jewish Law requires that the Kaddish be recited during the first eleven months following the death of a loved one by prescribed mourners, and on each anniversary of the death (the "Yahrtzeit"), and by custom in the State of Israel by all Jews on the Tenth of Tevet ("Yom HaKaddish HaKlali'), there is no reference, no word even, about death in the prayer!

The theme of Kaddish is, rather, the Greatness of G-d, Who conducts the entire universe, and especially his most favored creature, each individual human being, with careful supervision. In this prayer, we also pray for peace - from apparently the only One Who can guarantee it - peace between nations, peace between individuals, and peace of mind.

Paradoxically, this is, in fact, the only true comfort in the case of the loss of a loved one. That is, to be able to view the passing of the beloved individual from the perspective that that person's soul was gathered in, so to speak, by the One Who had provided it in the first place.

As Beruriah, the great wife of Rabbi Meir, consoled her husband, upon the death of their two sons, with words to this effect, "A soul is comparable to an object which was given to us - to each individual, to his or her parents and loved ones, to guard and watch over for a limited time. When the time comes for the object to be returned to its rightful owner, should we not be willing to return it? With regard to our sons, let us therefore consider the matter as 'The L-rd gave, and the L-rd took back, may the Name of the L-rd be Blessed!' "
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
You're right, what they do does not have any effect anyways. The dead are dead period.
What bothers me, however, is the disrespect. The disregard for others. The fact that nazis killed Jews and yet they baptise both nazis and Jews together.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 02:25:40 AM »
You're right, what they do does not have any effect anyways. The dead are dead period.
What bothers me, however, is the disrespect. The disregard for others. The fact that nazis killed Jews and yet they baptise both nazis and Jews together.

Indeed... There is something sneaky about it. A man cannot convert or accept anything new after he has died. Our Gan Eden is formed in this world.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 04:52:54 AM »
No, indeed mormons do send missions to all areas of the world. They do help the poor. I recently befriended a Mexican born man who is bringing his family up in the mormon faith. I have nothing negative to say about the man. He is a hard worker, has a good head on his shoulders, and when we are together we read Tanakh and discuss events. The other day I showed him videos about how evil the muslim brotherhood is and how important it is to keep Israel under Jewish sovereignty. Also he has never attempted to get me to accept anything other than Jewish scripture (although Christian translations of Tanakh are often a bit different).
I know Mormons have their followers among Latin America, Russia and all over the world. But like I said, these people tend to be financially independent and able to pay their dues to the Mormon church. When you send missionaries to poor villages in Africa, you know you are never going to get anything back from them, financial-wise, for generations to come. So that doesn't sounds like the modus operandi for Mormon missionaries, but I am not expert...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
I think anything that diminishes the power of that evil cult is a good thing.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
Most Mormons as individuals are good people but the history of the religion (i.e. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) is downright scary. Suffice it to say that JS was an American Mohammed (feces be upon him) in every sense.

Also, Christians today have a bone to pick with Mormonism because it professes to be part of Christianity, but in actuality believes in something completely different. They are a separate religion, not a Christian denomination.

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
The Mormons are a very religious group of people with good morals, more people should be like them.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 03:37:52 AM »
Most Mormons as individuals are good people but the history of the religion (i.e. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) is downright scary. Suffice it to say that JS was an American Mohammed (feces be upon him) in every sense.

Also, Christians today have a bone to pick with Mormonism because it professes to be part of Christianity, but in actuality believes in something completely different. They are a separate religion, not a Christian denomination.

Yes I agree. JS was a very shady character with a bad record. And the second part is dead on! I can't say that I'm nice to them because I just leave them alone. Like I said I wont get into the doctrines here because I don't think people are interesting to read about the wrong teachings they profess and it is not at issue. But you're very right in what you said. I went to their church meetings before and was very close to a mormon family. Good people but it turned me off and now I distance myself from them.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »

Exactly. They've got about as much in common with Christianity as Islam does. Just because a religion claims to believe in "Jesus" doesn't make it Christian.