Author Topic: Coming to a McDonalds near you very soon, Horse McNuggets  (Read 2401 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Coming to a McDonalds near you very soon, Horse McNuggets
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
I am being funny but it is not beyond reason to believe that this is possible. I have noticed a story in the news that the Obama Administration has just modified laws which forbid Horse meat processing in America. This opens the way to use horse meat for human consumption. As horse meat is not kosher I know that I will never try it, but it sounds gross since we have grown to think of horses as beasts of burden and not as a food source....

But in this bad economy people are going hungry.. I guess they can feed them horse meat...

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/12/02/US-horse-slaughter-for-meat-may-resume/UPI-62611322855884/

U.S. horse slaughter for meat may resume

WASHINGTON, Dec. 2 (UPI) -- Slaughtering horses for meat, stopped in the United States in 2007, could resume after a recent change in the law, authorities said.

U.S. slaughterhouses met a demand for horse meat from other countries, including France, Canada and Mexico, by exporting horse meat until Congress refused to fund the necessary federal inspections, effectively ending the practice, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

Some groups, including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said the ban had unintended side effects as horses that were abandoned, rounded up or seized were shipped under inhumane conditions to other countries for slaughter there.

PETA said while it continues to oppose the slaughter of horses for meat, allowing the reopening of U.S. slaughterhouses could reduce the animals' suffering.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Coming to a McDonalds near you very soon, Horse McNuggets
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
I have been told that horse meat is actually quite tasty... Burger King was accused of selling kangaroo meat back in the 70's so I guess horse McNuggets might not be that far fetched... Horse meat is said to be quite lean so it may fit into McDonalds  healthier  menu... :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
If proper procedures are followed, there are ways to slaughter cattle in relatively humane ways, but horse slaughter is completely different. I've seen videos of what happens and let's just say it's much worse than anything I've seen related to cattle and not only that but these animals were not raised or bred as food, many were former pets or working animals. I have no desire to eat horses any more than I would want to eat a dog or a cat. To me horses = companion animals, not food.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »
If proper procedures are followed, there are ways to slaughter cattle in relatively humane ways, but horse slaughter is completely different. I've seen videos of what happens and let's just say it's much worse than anything I've seen related to cattle and not only that but these animals were not raised or bred as food, many were former pets or working animals. I have no desire to eat horses any more than I would want to eat a dog or a cat. To me horses = companion animals, not food.
Yes I personally agree horses are far different that cows or pigs... Honestly I didn't think there was enough horses around to make them a target for slaughter... This sort of thing won't gain traction here in America however in other countries the demand might open a market potential... The entire U.S. economy is in a shambles and the government is concerned about deregulating the sale of horse meat.  :'(
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
Yes I personally agree horses are far different that cows or pigs... Honestly I didn't think there was enough horses around to make them a target for slaughter... This sort of thing won't gain traction here in America however in other countries the demand might open a market potential... The entire U.S. economy is in a shambles and the government is concerned about deregulating the sale of horse meat.  :'(

I don't like the idea of an animal that was loved as a companion animal but that the owner couldn't keep due to financial circumstances and had to sell making its way through different hands to a slaughter plant. These slimy people show up at horse auctions and buy animals there then kill them in cruel ways for the foreign markets. Older animals that can no longer work also end up there rather than being given a peaceful retirement.

Sometimes there is a surplus of horses but this could be controlled in more humane ways than that.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »
The Frogs & Belgiums have been eating it for years !  There has been uproar in the UK when it was found out that horses & ponies were being exported abroad for slaughter sometime back! :'(

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:19:47 AM »
The Frogs & Belgiums have been eating it for years !  There has been uproar in the UK when it was found out that horses & ponies were being exported abroad for slaughter sometime back! :'(

If those countries (like Japan and many countries in Europe) believe in eating horses I don't know why they can't raise and slaughter their own horses. Why eat animals that were not intended for human consumption?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:38:49 PM »
Mark levin was carrying on about this on his radio show, but let me ask the following question - how is eating a cow different from eating a horse?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
Mark levin was carrying on about this on his radio show, but let me ask the following question - how is eating a cow different from eating a horse?

One of the points I've been trying to make in this thread is that many of the horses were former pets. Sometimes an owner has to sell a horse due to financial reasons. Horses are very expensive to care for. They might reasonably expect that the next owner would love and care for the horse. If a horse is at auction and gets bought by one of these slimy people then that certainly wont' happen, and horse slaughter uses crueler methods than cattle slaughter.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
One of the points I've been trying to make in this thread is that many of the horses were former pets. Sometimes an owner has to sell a horse due to financial reasons. Horses are very expensive to care for. They might reasonably expect that the next owner would love and care for the horse. If a horse is at auction and gets bought by one of these slimy people then that certainly wont' happen, and horse slaughter uses crueler methods than cattle slaughter.

Well the whole point of the legislation is that the govt will regulate and inspect the slaughtering, I would think to make sure its humane.  Currently they do not inspect, so its always illegal, and probably the people doing it illegally since there are no standards, do it cruelly.  Perhaps with inspection now, people can do it legally and will watch out to make sure they adhere to humane guidelines.  I don't know.

I think that once someone buys an animal they would have the right to use that animals as they see fit.  Same thing as selling a cow.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »
Here in America I don't think that people will be rushing to buy horse meat. It is possible this may be useful for pet food but even that I have some questions. As Rubystars points out the difference between a cow and a horse basically comes down to, IMO, that the horse has traditionally been a beast of burden and has provided transportation and horse-power on the farm. While the agricultural age of using horses on the farm has past I still think we should have some respect for a creature which has been making life better for humanity for many 1000 years {possibly}.

I believe in most cultures {possibly India culture excluded} the cow has always been an animal used for meat.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 11:39:51 PM »
Here in America I don't think that people will be rushing to buy horse meat. It is possible this may be useful for pet food but even that I have some questions. As Rubystars points out the difference between a cow and a horse basically comes down to, IMO, that the horse has traditionally been a beast of burden and has provided transportation and horse-power on the farm. While the agricultural age of using horses on the farm has past I still think we should have some respect for a creature which has been making life better for humanity for many 1000 years {possibly}.

I believe in most cultures {possibly India culture excluded} the cow has always been an animal used for meat.

I really don't understand what you're saying.   If something is a beast of burden that means it cannot be slaughtered?  Why?

Are we "disrespecting" cows when we slaughter them for food?   So why is it not respecting a horse if he's slaughtered humanely for meat?   

And what is this about custom?  You lost me on that.   Perhaps its custom that there's always been a few rare people who have eaten horse.  What difference does that make?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »
I really don't understand what you're saying.   If something is a beast of burden that means it cannot be slaughtered?  Why?

Are we "disrespecting" cows when we slaughter them for food?   So why is it not respecting a horse if he's slaughtered humanely for meat?   

And what is this about custom?  You lost me on that.   Perhaps its custom that there's always been a few rare people who have eaten horse.  What difference does that make?

No, it doesn't mean that it cannot be slaughtered. I am just expressing my opinion that the horse {at least in my experience} has been an animal which is dear to many people. My young female cousin owned a horse once and enjoyed riding a lot.

Also I don't know about 'custom' but I said traditionally the horse has been a beast of burden and not an animal which has been bred for the purpose of slaughter. I may be wrong but I was not aware of it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »
Well the whole point of the legislation is that the govt will regulate and inspect the slaughtering, I would think to make sure its humane.  Currently they do not inspect, so its always illegal, and probably the people doing it illegally since there are no standards, do it cruelly.  Perhaps with inspection now, people can do it legally and will watch out to make sure they adhere to humane guidelines.  I don't know.

I think that once someone buys an animal they would have the right to use that animals as they see fit.  Same thing as selling a cow.

I just think horses should have the same protections given to them as other companion animals do. If I buy a golden retriever from a breeder they would sell it to me with the understanding that I would care for that dog through its lifetime, not use it at the next family barbecue.

It would help things if the killing was done more humanely but I don't like the idea of horses being eaten at all, especially if they were someone's pet beforehand. There is a similar issue with this when it comes to "pound seizure" where sometimes people's pets have ended up as lab animals. There was a story where someone lost their dog and found out what shelter it had been taken to, and went there to get the dog. In the mean time, a lab took the dog from the shelter and they found out too late that their dog had been killed in a medical laboratory. This was someone's beloved pet.

I think with horses there are similar issues at stake here.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
I havent read the entire article but this link discusses the donkey in Jewish thought:

http://vbm-torah.org/archive/intparsha66/15-66bo.htm

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »
I once saw an old photo of a pack horse, it was a strange looking critter, the body of a mule with the neck & head of a horse ! :o

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 02:53:48 AM »
No, it doesn't mean that it cannot be slaughtered. I am just expressing my opinion that the horse {at least in my experience} has been an animal which is dear to many people. My young female cousin owned a horse once and enjoyed riding a lot.

Cows are dear to people who own cows!

Also I don't know about 'custom' but I said traditionally the horse has been a beast of burden and not an animal which has been bred for the purpose of slaughter.

WHICH MEANS WHAT?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 04:02:26 AM »
One of the problems with pet horses ending up in the auctions then being slaughtered for human consumption is that pet horses may have been given medicines or parasite treatments which taint them and will pass on these toxins to the humans who later consume them.

Many medicines have warnings not to give them to an animal intended for human consumption.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
One of the problems with pet horses ending up in the auctions then being slaughtered for human consumption is that pet horses may have been given medicines or parasite treatments which taint them and will pass on these toxins to the humans who later consume them.

Many medicines have warnings not to give them to an animal intended for human consumption.

I would think that in response to laws like this, there are people who would raise horses for slaughter or at least eventual slaughter.    Why would there be more or less people acquiring pet horses to slaughter them, due to this legislation?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I would think that in response to laws like this, there are people who would raise horses for slaughter or at least eventual slaughter.    Why would there be more or less people acquiring pet horses to slaughter them, due to this legislation?

That's how they get horses now. They buy them at auction.

Putting fewer restrictions on them is a very bad thing. I could even see a scenario where a horse could be stolen then put up for auction and end up at a slaughter plant.

I don't agree with eating horses in the first place but if they're going to do it they need to at least raise their own for the purpose. Nobody should have to worry that their horse could one day end up in a facility like that if for one reason or another they can no longer keep them.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
That's how they get horses now. They buy them at auction.

Putting fewer restrictions on them is a very bad thing. I could even see a scenario where a horse could be stolen then put up for auction and end up at a slaughter plant.

I don't agree with eating horses in the first place but if they're going to do it they need to at least raise their own for the purpose. Nobody should have to worry that their horse could one day end up in a facility like that if for one reason or another they can no longer keep them.

The ability to legally slaughter the animal would prevent someone from having to put their pet up for auction in the first place..

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
The ability to legally slaughter the animal would prevent someone from having to put their pet up for auction in the first place..

You seem to be totally missing my point. Horses are really expensive to take care of. With the way the economy is going some people who might have been able to care for them before might not be able to anymore and might have to sell them. That doesn't mean they would want something horrible like that to happen to their animals. They would want them to be owned by a person who would intend to care for them.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »
If the horse is humanely slaughtered I am not particularly bothered by it. What about wild mustangs and burros that cause significant overgrazing in parts of the western United States? I have no problem with legal, regulated hunting of these.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
You seem to be totally missing my point. Horses are really expensive to take care of. With the way the economy is going some people who might have been able to care for them before might not be able to anymore and might have to sell them. That doesn't mean they would want something horrible like that to happen to their animals. They would want them to be owned by a person who would intend to care for them.

When you sell something to someone you are giving that person the right to do as they see fit with the object they are acquiring.  Otherwise you cannot take their money.   

I also don't understand, I'm supposed to believe that someone who has a pet horse is in the poorhouse?   Owning a pet horse (aka a pony) is a luxury.  I doubt many poor people have pet horses and have to sell them to make rent payments.   If they cannot care for the horse they can put it down humanely like is done with suffering dogs.  Or they can sell it.  Or now they can slaughter it and get money for the meat if they want.   why would a person buy a horse from them and then slaughter it the next day?  A horse is worth more than its meat, such a person would be losing money.  But again, if they choose to sell it, the acquirer can do w it as they see fit.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
I don't believe it, horse meat is too expensive for McDrek customers to afford it.
It's considered quiet a delicacy and it's not readily available.