Author Topic: Great Substitute for pie filling  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Great Substitute for pie filling
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »
I recently found out there are no sugar added versions of pie fillings in the baking sections of stores. I've been eating them right out of the can (very tasty) and have been losing weight while I'm doing it. One whole can of the Great Value No Sugar Added  Cherry pie filling is 245 calories, and you could always split it into servings. There are 7 servings in a can at 35 calories each. I imagine if you wanted to, you could even top that off with a crumbled up graham cracker and a small amount of light whipped topping and you'd have a healthier pie option. It's Orthodox Union approved (It has the OU symbol on it) so I know it's kosher too for those who keep kosher. I know this time of year lots of people due to the cold weather want to have tasty rich foods. This is one way to have them without hurting your waistline.

I've seen no sugar added cherry and apple pie filling so far in different brands. Usually the apple is a little bit fewer calories than the cherry and both are good. I wish they'd come up with some other sugar free or no sugar added pie filling flavors.

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Great Substitute for pie filling
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
Does it have artificial sweetener ?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »
How about just eating plain fruit?

Or better yet, baking a cake or pie yourself that only uses whole wheat, walnuts (if not allergic), Bananas (which are really sweet on their own), and olive or vegetable oil instead of butter or margarine?  I can try and ask my mom for the ingredients of how she makes pie and banana bread...so healthy and filling.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
How about just eating plain fruit?

I do that too.

Or better yet, baking a cake or pie yourself that only uses whole wheat, walnuts (if not allergic), Bananas (which are really sweet on their own), and olive or vegetable oil instead of butter or margarine?  I can try and ask my mom for the ingredients of how she makes pie and banana bread...so healthy and filling.

Why not just eat kale and call it a day then? This is about an alternative to high sugar, fattening pie filling. People have to eat more than spinach you know.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
Does it have artificial sweetener ?

Of course it does, it's a wonder of modern technology that there can be desserts that don't cause weight gain. Losing weight is the best way to improve health if someone is overweight and I'm sure the benefit of losing excess weight or maintaining a healthy weight is more than whatever small toxic effect an artificial sweetener (FDA approved and on the market for many years) would cause.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
I don't agree. This stuff is poison.

I also don't agree with government-set weight recommendations so far as women are concerned.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
I don't agree. This stuff is poison.

I also don't agree with government-set weight recommendations so far as women are concerned.

It's an individual choice what people choose to do but for me I feel much better after having lost 80 lbs since last summer and I don't think I could have done it as easily without artificial sweeteners.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
I'll say something about those nut allergies, why was it when I went to school I never knew of anybody who had one or heard of this problem but now so many of the yuppie kids supposedly have nut allergies? I don't doubt they're real for some people but it seems like a lot of people are faking it. PB&J was always standard kid food when I was growing up, nothing dangerous about it.

There are a lot of toxins in 'healthy foods' anyway. Carcinogens in celery, Goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables, oxalates in greens, cyanide in small doses in lima beans, etc. and I'm not going to cut out all those foods from my diet either because the benefits in general outweigh the risks. This is what I find ironic about people considering sweeteners to be bad.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
I'll say something about those nut allergies, why was it when I went to school I never knew of anybody who had one or heard of this problem but now so many of the yuppie kids supposedly have nut allergies? I don't doubt they're real for some people but it seems like a lot of people are faking it. PB&J was always standard kid food when I was growing up, nothing dangerous about it.

There are a lot of toxins in 'healthy foods' anyway. Carcinogens in celery, Goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables, oxalates in greens, cyanide in small doses in lima beans, etc. and I'm not going to cut out all those foods from my diet either because the benefits in general outweigh the risks. This is what I find ironic about people considering sweeteners to be bad.

There is a higher risk of having problems with food created by "man" than food that Gd created...same goes with religion.

Everything should be in moderation.

As far as eating spinach instead of pie made with artificial sweetners, of course spinach should be preferred, but I understand that sometimes its ok to indulge in cake in pie (once in awhile) and shouldn't be a substitution for foods that are in actuality healthy for us.. So don't get me wrong, Rubystars.

I can understand somebody making a choice to turn their health around and they are morbidly obese or have major diabetes issues and they need to substitute sugar for an artificial sweetner...like someone who has high blood pressure and needs to take medicine (which can also be considered poison..but it saves lives better than not taking medicine).

Rubystars, if you have it in your will power, better not to eat fruits from a can with artificial sweetners..or even using fruit from a can to make a healthier pie or cake.  There are healthy organic ingredients that can be used to make delicious pie.  Substitute white sugar with brown sugar. Instead of regular wheat, whole wheat flower. Instead of butter, use grapeseed oil.  If you like the taste of bananas, you can use less sugar to make something yummy and sweet.  Nuts are optional.

As far as nut allergies...it has always been quite common and the allergies can be deadly.  I don't think it has anything to do with yuppies making up allergies.  The same is true with shellfish and even certain other foods, like mango allergies.

But as far as a healthy well balanced diet and for weight loss, avoid the diet soda...it does more harm than good.  Drink water, seltzer, or if you have to have soda, go 50/50 on the seltzer and soda...half the calories...and the more you get used to having less salty and less sweet tasting items, you will not only get used to it, but won't like the taste of the original saltiness and sweetness you used to have.

Btw, a great salad dressing:  forget the non fat ranch/italian crap.  Olive oil, lemon or balsamic vinegar, a touch of salt and pepper.

Or better yet, add to your salad greens like arugula and watercress...both flavorable greens that allow you to reduce the amount of salad dressing.

Another great dressing you can use yougurt, water it down and add dill or horseradish/wasabi with small pieces of cucumber.  Very yummy.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
I make sweet things with bananas too. I had some banana and pumpkin smoothies last fall that were good and I also like banana + avocado. If bananas are ripe enough they can provide enough sweetness on their own for a lot of recipes.  

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and healthy stuff. I've eaten more cabbage and broccoli and carrots and cauliflower than I ever thought was possible and for the most part I enjoyed it. Just sometimes artificial sweeteners do provide a healthier option than sugars and allow people to eat things they otherwise couldn't eat.

I know if I eat a normal slice of pie then it will likely contain a crazy amount of calories (which is ok every once in a while, but not nearly as often as I would crave such a thing), even with the healthy subsititutions you mentioned. Canola/grapeseed oil is still pure fat.. Brown sugar is a little better for you than white sugar but is still sugar, still causes a bigger insulin response than many artificial options, and brown sugar tastes totally different than white sugar.

I don't think that artificial sweeteners are necessarily healthy, but I do believe that they are healthier than regular white sugar.

I usually don't use salad dressing at all because I like the taste of vegetables on their own. I don't eat raw spinach because I don't want to get that e-coli infection and raw spinach is frequently recalled for it.

Offline Daniel Michael ben Avraham

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »
I prefer a big bowl of cherries, but that is just me.  ;D
The observant Jew has his own sense of values. Torah Judaism is his blueprint for this life, his target for existence.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
I prefer a big bowl of cherries, but that is just me.  ;D

Last summer my hands got stained red from making a big plate of cherries and other fruits every morning.  ;D They really are good. What I do is get a butter knife and cut the cherry in half around the pit then twist it apart and then dig the pit out of whatever half its still stuck to. I really like the Ranier cherries too but they don't seem to have a very long season.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
I make sweet things with bananas too. I had some banana and pumpkin smoothies last fall that were good and I also like banana + avocado. If bananas are ripe enough they can provide enough sweetness on their own for a lot of recipes.  

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and healthy stuff. I've eaten more cabbage and broccoli and carrots and cauliflower than I ever thought was possible and for the most part I enjoyed it. Just sometimes artificial sweeteners do provide a healthier option than sugars and allow people to eat things they otherwise couldn't eat.

I know if I eat a normal slice of pie then it will likely contain a crazy amount of calories (which is ok every once in a while, but not nearly as often as I would crave such a thing), even with the healthy subsititutions you mentioned. Canola/grapeseed oil is still pure fat.. Brown sugar is a little better for you than white sugar but is still sugar, still causes a bigger insulin response than many artificial options, and brown sugar tastes totally different than white sugar.

I don't think that artificial sweeteners are necessarily healthy, but I do believe that they are healthier than regular white sugar.

I usually don't use salad dressing at all because I like the taste of vegetables on their own. I don't eat raw spinach because I don't want to get that e-coli infection and raw spinach is frequently recalled for it.

I'm glad that you are making changes and an attempt to cut calories.  Just remember that it's not the fat or the calories that are the big deal...it's what you put in you.  The fat that is in grapeseed or canola is better for you than butter and especially margarine which is the worst.  A small amount of these oils in making cakes is all that is needed.  I do understand that it changes the taste of that cookie or cake, but is a better alternative.  I know that white sugar tastes different than brown sugar..and i should clarify that when I said brown sugar, i meant granulated brown sugar.  You need more granulated brown sugar to get an equivalent sweetness with regular sugar..but still less is better than normal and cutting down more and more gradually is much better than an artificial sweetner that is much sweeter than white sugar.  You think you can fool your body with sweeter fake sugar, but your body will work harder in making you crave to eat more pie and other sorts of foods that aren't good to eat regularly.  Better to cut down on the sweetness of your foods when it isn't natural and needs to be added than to use artificial man made sweetners.

As far as raw lettuce/spinach etc...i completely hear you.  My recommendation is to wash your vegetable 3 times and add white vinegar when you wash your greens.  I believe there are certain anti-bacterial sprays that can be used.  If you can eat your vegetables raw such as spinach, you will get more nutrients out of it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
I don't really eat that many sweet things, most of the time my sweet cravings are satisified if I eat fruit or something, but you know Dr. Dan sometimes, especially around holidays, you want something more. I didn't really want to mention Christmas but you know around this time of year people eat a lot of baked goods or make a lot of them and then eat them and this can really cause someone to gain a lot of weight. I mentioned the pie filling as an alternative to all of that, not something someone should eat on an every day, regular basis.  Of course you don't want to push out other, more nutrient dense foods from your diet on a regular basis.

I don't eat a lot of raw vegetables (I do eat some, like celery, but I prefer to cook most of my vegetables) because I've heard of too many people getting sick from them. If Spinach is contaminated with e-coli, then you can wash it as well as humanly possible and you'll still get sick because the contamination is inside the plant and can't be washed away. I like the taste of raw spinach with strawberries but I doubt I'll ever eat it again unless I grow it myself. It's just been recalled too many times.

I really like raw cauliflower too but it's better to cook it to get rid of more of the goitrogens in it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
It's an individual choice what people choose to do but for me I feel much better after having lost 80 lbs since last summer and I don't think I could have done it as easily without artificial sweeteners.
There are other ways to lose weight. That is one of the worst actually. I am not getting on your case for the sake of doing so, I just care about you.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
There are other ways to lose weight. That is one of the worst actually. I am not getting on your case for the sake of doing so, I just care about you.

I know and I appreciate the fact that you and other JTFers care. Believe me I'm doing things much healthier than I was before and I feel so much better. I'm not gorging on artificial things just eating them sometimes, if that helps lessen your concern.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I hate "lecturing" people but it really seems like you are trading one evil for another. I have not seen any pics of you so I can't judge what your weight was like but in general I think it's odd that society, including the medical establishment, judges women much more severely for being overweight than men (even though biologically speaking women were designed to have a higher ratio of fat to muscle than men for procreative purposes, and very often to be heavier than men of the same height). Even a very slender woman is going to have a lot less muscle and a lot more fat than a very slender man of the same weight. As much as I detest Martin Luther I do think he was absolutely spot-on in his description of the "proper" build of female and the purpose for it.

Obviously I don't believe that women are meant for nothing but to crank out kids, or that all women are supposed to have kids (yes I know Judaism differs on the second point, but neither of us are Jewish), but you can't deny that physiologically, G-d would want women to be able to not only have the energy reserves to sustain a pregnancy and survive doing so, but to be able to nurse for quite a while afterwards (prior to modern nutrition children commonly nursed well into the toddler years), and to have the cushioning/padding to be able to withstand long periods of being sedentary in this process.

Back to you specifically--I have no idea as to whether you were truly in a crisis state of obesity. It depends a lot on what your overall fitness level is/was and where your body fat was distributed. If most of your weight was around your midsection then yes, that is extremely unhealthy and it increases your chances of diabetes and a whole lot of other health problems. A woman can be only fifteen pounds overweight but life-threateningly so if all of that is on her abdomen and she can't lose it. If your weight was evenly distributed throughout your body then I have a hard time calling it a medical problem. I know women that have been 50, 75, 100 pounds "overweight" (depending on height) that look/ed great at that weight because it was primarily centered on their hips, thighs, buttocks, chest, and breasts, and that were far less attractive when they assumed a "normal" weight, and felt much more poorly too. You can't really control where your fat tends to accumulate but nonetheless, that is the main thing to consider when judging whether you have an actual medical problem that must be addressed.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
I had three different medical professionals at different times tell me I was at a dangerous weight. One even offered to put me on medication to help me but I told her I'd rather lose it more naturally with calorie restriction.

It caused health problems for me like a sore back, being short of breath, having sore knees and feet, and just plain being tired and worn out. I had and still have a physical job so I think having that muscle and exercise helped me from getting any diseases from it but my blood pressure has been borderline for years. Losing 80 lbs came off mostly through eating between 1200 and 1800 calories every day and I'm still losing. I'm aiming for 130, and I'm 5'5". I think that will be a good range for me. I found a web site which I can't post here (due to what would be considered immodest pictures, but not porn) which shows what women look like with different body shapes and at different weights and heights and those that are that height with that weight with a similar shape to me look slim but not too skinny as to be unhealthy, just perfect for what I'm looking for.

The more I lose the better I feel so far.

I agree with you that women in childbearing years should probably have some layer of fat, not to be obese but to have some to remain healthy. I'm not interested in doing that at the moment but I get what you're talking about there. High blood pressure during pregnancy or gestational diabetes are also big risks though so I don't think women should be fat when they're pregnant. I think it can cause other complications too, not sure what they all are.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
What about Apple pie? It is my favorite?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
What about Apple pie? It is my favorite?

The no added sugar pie filling also includes apple flavor. I have a can of it here so I'll post the nutrition facts. It has an OU symbol on it so you can eat it if you want to as far as kosher goes.

This is the Wal-Mart brand (Great Value) but Comstock and a couple of other companies also make similar, almost identical products:

Ingredients: Apples, Water, Food starch-modified (corn), spices, sucralose (a non-nutritive sweetener)

Serving size 1/3 cup (85 grams)
Servings per container (about 7)
Calories per serving: 30
Note: This means per can it's about  210 calories, not that bad!

Total Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 10 mg
Potassium 40 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 6g
Protein 0

It says for comparison that regular apple pie filling is 90 calories per serving as compared to this which is only 30 calories per serving.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »
Rubystars I want to commend you on the weight loss.  It sounds like in your situation, the sweetners are the exception to the rule.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:51:28 PM by Lisa »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
Rubystars I want to commend you on the weight loss.  It sounds like in your situation, the sweetners are the exception to the rule.

Thanks Dr. Dan. I don't think people should eat too many artificial sweeteners either, but I think like so many things, in moderation they're fine. Personally I'm more concerned about the pesticides on the produce I'm eating because I can't always afford organic options but I do my best to wash everything really well and just hope that helps.

I'm glad you and Axl and others here have been so caring and supportive.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:51:44 PM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »
Rubystars, I also want to commend you on your weight loss.  I'm very proud of you.

I wish I could lose 20 lbs.  But I seem to stink at dieting.  My weakness is salty fatty foods.  I never really had a sweet tooth.  But I could eat a whole bag of nacho cheese Doritos or cheese doodles (which is why I never buy them).  In fact, I can't stand many fruits unless they're sour.  The sweet taste really bothers me. 

Now regarding a butter substitute, I've read that flax meal can be used instead.  Flaxseed oil is very healthy, as it has omega 3 fats.  Check out these links on cooking with flax meal:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/508286-how-to-use-the-ratios-for-using-flaxseed-meal-instead-of-butter/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/266709-how-to-bake-with-flaxseed-meal/

http://freshflaxseeds.com/catalog/flaxrecipes.php

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:58:53 PM by Lisa »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
Thanks Lisa! That sounds interesting. Another substitute you can use for fats in addition to what Dr. Dan mentioned and what you mentioned is avocado. What's neat about that is that it actually suppresses the insulin response. I lose more weight when I have avocado than when I don't eat it. It's like a miracle food for me. It doesn't really have that many calories either if you only eat one of them a day. You can put salt and pepper on it.

I've also lamented the fact that unlike sweet things, there aren't always a lot of options for savory tasting foods.

If you like spicy food then it's easier. Sriracha or tabasco sauce makes most things taste good. Some people try to say that Sriracha has a lot of sodium, but an entire teaspoon only has 100 mg of sodium and I would never use that much! A very tiny amount is enough to flavor an entire pot of soup.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:00:14 PM by Rubystars »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
This thread reminded me of a video I saw on youtube, forget the address to it right now, but it made me laugh. There was this woman talking about her healthy alternative to ice cream, and she said "and this is completely unprocessed" as she's blending stuff in the blender.  :::D I felt like asking her if she wanted a dictionary but I was good and didn't comment.  ;D