Author Topic: Opinions on Chabad  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Opinions on Chabad
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
First, we know ritual hand washing is not a "Chabadism". Nevertheless, netilat yadayim is primarily a hygienic cleaning, as opposed to mayim achronim which the sages identified more as a spiritual washing than as a hygienic one. Cleansing oneself of the "evil-spirit" is associated with the mayim achronim. In my mind, rabbinic ordinances are just that and, as such, are not commanded by G-d. That being said, I think a little soap during netilat yadayim would be promote hygiene.

Second, I didn't say shokeling is a "Chabadism". Anyone who has grown up frum knows this. But shokeling is not a competitive sport, which it appears to have become at Chabad. I never saw this as a kid in the old-style shuls and shtiebls.

You have to know what is required and what is not. "Rabbinical ordinances" in this case are required by Halacha especially when its done by Beit Din. No one can come today and "nully" their decrees, and even the Torah itself says to follow the Hachamim, especially when it was the Beit Din Hagadol who made these things. Even with Netillat where Rabbi Akiva was the opposing view, he never the less used much water when he was in prison (opposed to his own view) since the majority ruled that way.

About "shokeling" people can do what they like. But according to Sefardi custom and I think based more on "kabbalah" if I'm not mistaken it is better to stand still. But either way davening is davening, and that is the important part. If shukkeling creates better concentration do that of otherwise do otherwise (like remain still).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 11:24:19 PM »
Okay, not to be gross, but last weekend I was trimming my horse's hooves and she took a dump on my shoulder. This happens every so often. Oh, and of course I kiss her, and I know she is full of equine e.coli. Sorry if this made anyone sick, but this is my life. I must have a hell of an immune system.

LOL

Offline Menachem

• Junior JTFer
  • כהנא צדק
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 03:31:10 AM »
I love Chabad because they welcome all Jews into the fold who are lost or struggling.  You are never alone with Chabad

This is precisely my situation; which is probably why I'm so attracted to Chabad.

Offline Menachem

• Junior JTFer
  • כהנא צדק
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 03:40:25 AM »
Taking a dump, wiping yourself and then eating without proper handwashing is nasty in the extreme.

Okay, not to be gross, but last weekend I was trimming my horse's hooves and she took a dump on my shoulder.

Well I must admit when I started this thread I wasn't exactly expecting responses along these lines, but nevertheless thank you for your input.  ;D

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 04:23:11 AM »
I think someone has accused chabad of not washing their hands with soaps, well I am pretty sure this is completely false.

The ritual washing of the hands is done after everybody has already washed their hands and set themselves ready for the table. Other people would just begin eating at this stage, but Jewish rituals calls for washing of the hands before the first breaking of the bread.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 04:24:17 AM »
I think someone has accused chabad of not washing their hands with soaps, well I am pretty sure this is completely false.

The ritual washing of the hands is done after everybody has already washed their hands and set themselves ready for the table. Other people would just begin eating at this stage, but Jewish rituals calls for washing of the hands before the first breaking of the bread.

This is what I said... I don't know how it devolved into a discussion of whether one washes their hands with soap... The washing before the bread is a ritual washing which has nothing to do with hygiene. I tried to explain that in my initial posting..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 04:35:09 AM »
This is what I said... I don't know how it devolved into a discussion of whether one washes their hands with soap... The washing before the bread is a ritual washing which has nothing to do with hygiene. I tried to explain that in my initial posting..
OK. It may have had allot to do with hygiene in earlier times, but certainly in modern times its only a ritual and in any case it is performed at a stage when everybody is already washed up and set to eat anyway.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 04:36:15 AM »
Well I must admit when I started this thread I wasn't exactly expecting responses along these lines, but nevertheless thank you for your input.  ;D

Sorry!  :::D