Author Topic: Does anyone have someone famous in their family history?  (Read 6984 times)

Allen-T

Does anyone have someone famous in their family history?
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
Since I was a boy my grandmother has told me that we are decendants of Joan of Arc, through Joan's brother I believe. My great grandmother, Mae Botty was a stage performer who travelled the world and had the money back then to have such lineages traced. I remember seeing the documents many years ago, but by the time they were of interest enough to really read, they were lost. Hence the new, probably permanent avatar!!  :) 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:13:37 PM by Allen-T »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Does anyone have someone famous in their family history?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
Nah not really :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
I come from a line of famous Cantors. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:22:52 AM »
Since I was a boy my grandmother has told me that we are decendants of Joan of Arc, through Joan's brother I believe. My great grandmother, Mae Botty was a stage performer who travelled the world and had the money back then to have such lineages traced. I remember seeing the documents many years ago, but by the time they were of interest enough to really read, they were lost. Hence the new, probably permanent icon!!  :) 
But your Baptist she was Catholic
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Allen-T

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
Since I was a boy my grandmother has told me that we are decendants of Joan of Arc, through Joan's brother I believe. My great grandmother, Mae Botty was a stage performer who travelled the world and had the money back then to have such lineages traced. I remember seeing the documents many years ago, but by the time they were of interest enough to really read, they were lost. Hence the new, probably permanent icon!!  :) 

My family background is Catholic/Church Of England. Regardless, my grandmother was very proud of this and St. Joan's story has been repeated to me from when I was very young. It's no surprise I am a religious fanatic!!!! Between my grandfather on my father's side becoming obsessed with Armageddon and Christ and anti-christ by way of the famous Hal Lindsey Book "Late Great Planet Earth" and filling my little brain with that when I was 7 years old, and my mother's mom telling me these stories about this great Christian warrior woman that got burned alive for her faith, is it any surprise I'm here!!!!! ;D ;D ;D There is a beautiful film about Joan Of Arc made in the 20's, it's silent of course. I saw it once with live music accompaniment. It was very moving.     

Allen-T

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
I come from a line of famous Cantors. 

Did they record? I had some Cantor LPs awhile back, if I recall the names were Roitman, Kwartin, I forget but the music was fantastic.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »

My family background is Catholic/Church Of England. Regardless, my grandmother was very proud of this and St. Joan's story has been repeated to me from when I was very young. It's no surprise I am a religious fanatic!!!! Between my grandfather on my father's side becoming obsessed with Armageddon and Christ and anti-christ by way of the famous Hal Lindsey Book "Late Great Planet Earth" and filling my little brain with that when I was 7 years old, and my mother's mom telling me these stories about this great Christian warrior woman that got burned alive for her faith, is it any surprise I'm here!!!!! ;D ;D ;D There is a beautiful film about Joan Of Arc made in the 20's, it's silent of course. I saw it once with live music accompaniment. It was very moving.     
I saw Hal Lindseys movie 'the late great planet earth' Joan of ARC WAS VERY BRAVE

Shot at 2010-01-03

Allen-T

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:19:33 PM »

I saw Hal Lindseys movie 'the late great planet earth' Joan of ARC WAS VERY BRAVE

Yes, that movie, funny you mention it, I picked up a bunch of obscure films on DVD at a Record Convention last month and that was one of them. Somewhere buried in my closet I have several hours of Hal Lindsey teaching at a seminary back in the 70's. Yes, Joan was a very special lady. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »

Yes, that movie, funny you mention it, I picked up a bunch of obscure films on DVD at a Record Convention last month and that was one of them. Somewhere buried in my closet I have several hours of Hal Lindsey teaching at a seminary back in the 70's. Yes, Joan was a very special lady. 
MY BROTHER GOT IT ON CASSETTE

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »
My grandmother's sister's son won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1973.  http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1973/

His name is Brian David Josephson and his discoveries dealt with a phenomena in semiconductors and superconductors that was named the "Josephson effect"
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Imerica

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
I have no proof of this but its said that Sam Cooke was my grandfather's 1st cousin. It would explain a lot because my grandfather came from an extremely musical family. It would be nice to know if its true.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »
John Quincy Adams was my great great great great great great great grandfather.

I think that's the right amount of 'greats'.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »
If anyone here is familiar witht he country Haiti, my family lived there way back. I am part of the Dana family that lived there. I think my great grandfather played cards wth the president once a week. Or maybe it was an uncle. I am also the great great great nephew of Rabbi Shlomo Laniado, who was Rosh yeshivah of Porat Yosef. His ancestor Rabbi Samuel Laniado was head of teh Beit Din in Aram SOba in the 1500s. Rabbi David Sion Laniado is my fathers great uncle. He wrote the famous book on Syrian rabbis "lakedoshim asher baaretz". This was published about 80 years ago. All of the famous laniado family rabbinic dynasty are related to me. Here are some links about them.
http://www.torah.org/learning/tabletalk/5766/behaaloscha.html
http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/parsha/aram/archives/pinchas61.htm
http://www.jewishgen.org/Rabbinic/journal/labaton.htm
This is "Lakedoshim asher baaretz" updates and published by artscroll.http://www.artscroll.com/Books/ALPH.html

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
my great great grandpa was a rabbi for a congregation of retired confederate soldiers and generals. i have some more distant ones but nothing of the top of my head

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
Hmmmm.....my Grandfather was knighted by the Queen for some kind of physics award, working as partners with a dude who won the physics nobel prize. He also had a university campus, named after him and was head of the Imperial college for 10 years and mapped out world geographical ....things. ;D
He was in charge of teaching radar to pilots in WW11 and was involved in nuclear research....also running SURN for quite a while.

My other great grandfather and grandfathers weren't famous but both fought in WW1.

It would be great to trace down my family, how can you do this?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »
In Netanya there is a Hospital named   Laniado

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »
Hmmmm.....my Grandfather was knighted by the Queen for some kind of physics award, working as partners with a dude who won the physics nobel prize. He also had a university campus, named after him and was head of the Imperial college for 10 years and mapped out world geographical ....things. ;D
He was in charge of teaching radar to pilots in WW11 and was involved in nuclear research....also running SURN for quite a while.

My other great grandfather and grandfathers weren't famous but both fought in WW1.

this is free if you have the patients   http://www.familysearch.org/

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 05:49:04 PM »

Thank you Mord, just what i was looking for.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »

Thank you Mord, just what i was looking for.
you will need patients but i think they everyone on there

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 05:51:21 PM »
Avraham, Yitzhhak, Yaakov ........... my great great grandfather was a very big Rabbi in the Uzbekistan region.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 06:22:04 PM »
In Netanya there is a Hospital named   Laniado
Not sure who its named after, Ill ask  my father tonight if is a relative.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
On the secular side, my great uncle was an actor named Kevin Dobson who was on a show called "Knot's Landing".

Has anyone here seen that show?  I have not.

On the religious side, my great great grandfather was the Av Bet din of Lodz. My wife is descended from both Maimonides and Rav Yosef Karo.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »
Yes i like him what happened to him,why is'nt he on T.V.

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
On the secular side, my great uncle was an actor named Kevin Dobson who was on a show called "Knot's Landing".

On the religious side, my great great grandfather was the Av Bet din of Lodz. My wife is descended from both Maimonides and Rav Yosef Karo.

He seems to have done a lot more then that show: :)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004878/

Allen-T

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »

Knot's Landing was a spin-off of Dallas I think, both favorite shows of my mom's. I've seen it, but not recently. I just Googled his name, sure I recognise him from that show.