Author Topic: Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.  (Read 347 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
That video is awesome! I saw it earlier when someone else showed it to me.

I think he did the right thing.

I kind of feel sorry for her in a way only because it was typical teen angst and probably not true malicious behavior like it would be for someone older doing the same thing, but she was really stupid to think he wouldn't be able to see her post, plus she had already gotten in trouble for something like this in the past and should have known better than to do it again.

I don't really think someone young and immature like a teenager should even have a facebook account, because they could post things publicly that could hurt them later in their job search. I have a facebook account with my name but I rarely log in to it. I usually use an alternate one that has a fake name on it for posting things and interacting with people because I can't post anything political on my real name page. I consider the real name page to be  a professional profile and not a personal one.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
  Good idea Ruby! I was once attacked for pro Israel statements about the Haiti earthquake!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:38:36 AM »
I empathize with both the father and the daughter. Its just a fact you gotta accept that even good parents can [censored] you off at times. The dad spent 130$ and half of his day on her, so what she said was definitively uncalled for. The dad looses me when he turned it into an international issue by publicly grounding her forever and shooting her laptop. Couldn't he just have made her issue a public apology on Facebook? My problem isn't him being wrong, but him responding irrationally.

... because they could post things publicly that could hurt them later in their job search. ....

That's why my Facebook has all of it's privacy features maxed out.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:01:06 AM »
Meerkat, It could be reasoned that since she attacked her parents in a public way, that the response should also be public. It's a tough call though since they are adults and she's not and perhaps the response should have been to have her retract her statement instead and apologize, but maybe there was no other way to get this across to her. Maybe she had to publicly apologize the first time she did something like this and it didn't do any good so a stronger response was necessary this time.

Good idea Ruby! I was once attacked for pro Israel statements about the Haiti earthquake!

I think people have to be very careful what they post under their real name. You don't want to seem like a left wing nut case but you do want to make sure if you post anything that it's completely PC, which means don't post anything of any kind that involves race, gender, sexual orientation, disabled status, any political issues whatsoever, etc. If you have personal hobbies or interests make sure you don't post anything more exciting than stamp collecting and definitely don't discuss things like whether you like the Malcolm X stamp or not.

Avoid telling jokes of any kind, they don't translate well between cultures and can unintentionally cause great offense without your even meaning to. Look what happened to Roland Martin at CNN when he tweeted a joke. He was attempting to make fun of soccer and ended up getting GLAAD all over his case for supposedly advocating violence against homosexuals.

We live in a closed society in many ways, where the 'wrong' statements or political opinions can keep you from advancing. Real Name facebook accounts and other social media that can be easily traced to your real identity should only be used for work or professional purposes, like stating your work experience, posting professional photos only, etc.

It's so easy to get a second facebook account to play on (just don't put your real picture on there or it's all for naught) that you should definitely get one just to play with if you want to do that.