Author Topic: What Happens When You Die!  (Read 8306 times)

raiseyourfist

Re: What Happens When You Die!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 11:04:39 AM »
Now i know what i am going to say is unpopular (especially for members on this forum) but i don't believe there is anything when you die just darkness.... there are people who make such claims that good people in life will be treated well in the afterlife... i believe that we should do the right thing for this world anyway NOT FOR OUR OWN ENDS BUT TO MAKE THIS WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE IN.....

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
Just was saddened to learn a friend of the family died.  Not that I needed another reminder because I think about questions like this quite frequently, but I was wondering what forum members think happens to your soul when you die?  I asked Chaim a related question on the last Ask JTF and he pointed out that the Ram Bam stated while there is definitely an afterlife, nobody knows for sure what it entails.  Any realistic theories?  At least it is a comfort to know that their is another world to come, surely much more just than the mess we currently find ourselves in at times.  Later.

Ari

Firstly, it is Rambam, or Rabbi Moshe Ben Maimon, aka Maimonides.

Secondly, I don't believe in afterlife of a dead person. Isn't it oxymoronic enough?

Afterlife is not a life, but what comes after it, that is death, which is an end.

Now, if a person by himself ceases to exist in any world upon his death, a memory of him may live in other living people’s souls. That is the true afterlife.

Good and right deeds will ensure your afterlife in people's hearts. You thus will live in them, but you won’t witness that.

Watch this:

That's a horrible thing to say.

That is horrible. If that is the case, Hitler has a lovely afterlife being worshipped by neo nazi boeheads the world over. It also means arafat  and a fallen IDF hero share the same fate. We might as well forget Torah and just suck up to young people. >:(

I don't know why you say that!

Hitler died like a dog. He had to be killed earlier. I dont care how many times he burns in hell now. His actual life had to be turned into hell.

Arafat died of AIDS. How can you compare this rat's fate with one of a fallen IDF soldier? Apples and oranges!

I said it to illustrate to silliness of your previous post. If the afterlife consisted only of being remembered by the living, then both evil people fondly remembered by their followers would have the same fate as good people fondly remembered by theirs. Didn't you see the point?

1) I see the point. And it is indeed silly! This is called a wishful thinking.
2) Fate applies to the life in this world, and not in any other world.
3) Evil people must be punished here on Earth. That’s why you have courts. Or maybe you think we should not punish them hoping that G-d will “take care of them”?
4) Now, memory is a memory, and not afterlife. You can’t force people to remember certain people in one way or another.
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
where are you going to find a LAWYER in heaven?????????? :laugh:

There are lawyers in heaven. The angels are the lawyers.

Every time you do a mitzvah, you get another defense attorney-angel. Every time you sin you get another prosecuting attorney-angel.

So start building up that winning defense team now ;).

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 02:11:38 PM »
Just was saddened to learn a friend of the family died.  Not that I needed another reminder because I think about questions like this quite frequently, but I was wondering what forum members think happens to your soul when you die?  I asked Chaim a related question on the last Ask JTF and he pointed out that the Ram Bam stated while there is definitely an afterlife, nobody knows for sure what it entails.  Any realistic theories?  At least it is a comfort to know that their is another world to come, surely much more just than the mess we currently find ourselves in at times.  Later.

Ari

I figure what makes sense is that everyone goes to hell first and serve their time.  In live we all knowingly and unknowingly sin against each other and against Gd.   It depends on the type of sin and how sorry we are and show it in life that lessens the severity of hell. Of course the more sinful and evil someone is in life..and depending on the sin, that is given Gd's justice and judgement the time one shoudl stay in hell and do their time

AFter every soul does its time, whethr it is one year or billions of years, it gets elevated into Heaven.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

newman

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »
where are you going to find a LAWYER in heaven?????????? :laugh:

There are lawyers in heaven. The angels are the lawyers.

Every time you do a mitzvah, you get another defense attorney-angel. Every time you sin you get another prosecuting attorney-angel.

So start building up that winning defense team now ;).

my defense team if hopelessly outnumbered already. I'm screwed :'(

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
Does the Torah state the status of someone in a grave? Are you questioned in your grave and even receive punishments, at all?

Offline cosmokramer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 04:38:31 PM »
The though of dying scares me, but everyone does. I know there is a olam haba. This world is to complex to be created by evolution. So I know there is a G-d in heaven.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »
The though of dying scares me, but everyone does. I know there is a olam haba. This world is to complex to be created by evolution. So I know there is a G-d in heaven.

But couldn't the theory evolution simply be how the universe was created...Evolution does not go against Torah and we all know righteousness wins over all things...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »

But couldn't the theory evolution simply be how the universe was created...Evolution does not go against Torah and we all know righteousness wins over all things...

Yes but the confusion is that some speak of evolution to be a self causation not a method by which God could have created this world.

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
  • The burden that hath befallen Man ...
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 01:34:05 PM »
Atheism is Blasphemy and I wouldn't want to know where those people are going on their Next Stop !
SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2007, 08:29:58 PM »
Some posts inspiring, others depressing, but I believe.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2007, 11:30:08 PM »
Does the Torah state the status of someone in a grave? Are you questioned in your grave and even receive punishments, at all?

It does say that the body decomposes from the incects because the person got pleasure from the wrong things, whereas truly rightesous ppl.s' bodies don't decompose for the same reason. It is well known that when they had to dig up the Vilna Gaon's grave he was perfectly intact! But the main parts of the soul leave the body and the experiences there are on the spiritual plane, not the physical one.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 11:37:22 PM »
http://divineinformation.com/downloads/default.asp
click on

Seminar - December 08, 2005 - Life After Death
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/