Author Topic: What Happens When You Die!  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
What Happens When You Die!
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:55:14 AM »
Just was saddened to learn a friend of the family died.  Not that I needed another reminder because I think about questions like this quite frequently, but I was wondering what forum members think happens to your soul when you die?  I asked Chaim a related question on the last Ask JTF and he pointed out that the Ram Bam stated while there is definitely an afterlife, nobody knows for sure what it entails.  Any realistic theories?  At least it is a comfort to know that their is another world to come, surely much more just than the mess we currently find ourselves in at times.  Later.

Ari

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: What Happens When You Die!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:02:06 AM »
This world is like a dream compared to the next world.  The physical life  is like a corridor that prepares you for the banquet hall which is the next world as the Rabbis say in Avot.  No one knows exactly what it is like since it is a different plane of existence than this world.  Basically you attain a very intense closeness to G-d and take pleasure in his glory and this is more pleasurable than anything in this world.  If you really want to get a taste of the next world than do a big Mitzvah/good deed with happiness and you might merit to have G-d's spirit rest on you for a short time and this is what the next world feels like amplified a few thousand times. 

This is heaven.  Hell is the opposite. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:06:28 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

newman

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:05:58 AM »
There's a brief answer on this link: http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/web/handbook/s_faq.htmlk:

There is also a DVD by a Jewish schollar claiming proof of afterlife. I think it was advertised on aish.com and the israel national radio homepage.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:09:41 AM by newman »

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:15:32 AM »
Just was saddened to learn a friend of the family died.  Not that I needed another reminder because I think about questions like this quite frequently, but I was wondering what forum members think happens to your soul when you die?  I asked Chaim a related question on the last Ask JTF and he pointed out that the Ram Bam stated while there is definitely an afterlife, nobody knows for sure what it entails.  Any realistic theories?  At least it is a comfort to know that their is another world to come, surely much more just than the mess we currently find ourselves in at times.  Later.

Ari

Firstly, it is Rambam, or Rabbi Moshe Ben Maimon, aka Maimonides.

Secondly, I don't believe in afterlife of a dead person. Isn't it oxymoronic enough?

Afterlife is not a life, but what comes after it, that is death, which is an end.

Now, if a person by himself ceases to exist in any world upon his death, a memory of him may live in other living people’s souls. That is the true afterlife.

Good and right deeds will ensure your afterlife in people's hearts. You thus will live in them, but you won’t witness that.

Watch this:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:23:55 AM by Zvulun ben Moshe »
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

newman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:24:09 AM »
The story about judgement scares me. The Satan who is G_d's prosecutor reads out all the various charges or sins while you watch a replay of them....all of them...every sin! Imagine the killer embarressment of that! In my case, the sin scroll will weigh 5 tonnes and when opened will hit the floor and roll along the ground for about 200 miles! >:( :( :o :'(

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 01:27:41 AM »
The story about judgement scares me. The Satan who is G_d's prosecutor reads out all the various charges or sins while you watch a replay of them....all of them...every sin! Imagine the killer embarressment of that! In my case, the sin scroll will weigh 5 tonnes and when opened will hit the floor and roll along the ground for about 200 miles! >:( :( :o :'(

Make sure you hire a good lawyer.

newman

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:44:21 AM »
where are you going to find a LAWYER in heaven?????????? :laugh:

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 01:45:48 AM »
The Jewish lawyers continue to make money even after they die.   ;D ;D ;D
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 01:48:20 AM »
I dont remember the words but here are some I think. "Melachim yoshvim ve lomdim, veaterotehem barosheihem" kings sitting and learning with crowns on their heads. Some take this literally and say it is physical. I think Rashi says this, and also Ramban might.They say that it is possible to lose them one by one. Rambam says it is metaphorical. Jdl4ever please correct whatever I said wrong, there is probably alot wrong here. I dont remember the original words but it is similar to above.

newman

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 01:48:49 AM »
I hope there are no procedural problems, because sure as [censored] there won't be any ACLU people up there. :laugh: :laugh:

newman

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 02:01:39 AM »

Ari

Secondly, I don't believe in afterlife of a dead person. Isn't it oxymoronic enough?

Afterlife is not a life, but what comes after it, that is death, which is an end.

Now, if a person by himself ceases to exist in any world upon his death, a memory of him may live in other living people’s souls. That is the true afterlife.

Good and right deeds will ensure your afterlife in people's hearts. You thus will live in them, but you won’t witness that.

Watch this:

That's a horrible thing to say.

That is horrible. If that is the case, Hitler has a lovely afterlife being worshipped by neo nazi boeheads the world over. It also means arafat  and a fallen IDF hero share the same fate. We might as well forget Torah and just suck up to young people. >:(

Joe Schmo

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
For a few hours after you die, you can still HEAR and SEE!

You just cannot FEEL anything.

newman

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 02:26:53 AM »

What a bummer! I'll hear them all talking about what a b_stard I was and won't be able to answer back. Probably fitting for people who always want to get the last word. :laugh:

Joe Schmo

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 02:30:32 AM »

What a bummer! I'll hear them all talking about what a b_stard I was and won't be able to answer back. Probably fitting for people who always want to get the last word. :laugh:

You can do the same to your enemies.

newman

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 02:41:50 AM »

I'd prefurr to pig out on peperoni pizza and chilli with a good fibre supplement and leave a deposit on their grave.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 02:46:38 AM »

I'd prefurr to pig out on peperoni pizza and chilli with a good fibre supplement and leave a deposit on their grave.

Then you look stupid!  Why not leave them with a message?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:48 AM »
What is your own faith, Scriabin?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:42 AM »
You are agnostic?

Joe Schmo

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 02:55:12 AM »

Born into Catholicism.

Agnostic for much of my life.

Attempting to be a Noahide since finding JTF.

newman

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 03:12:20 AM »

Born into Catholicism.

Agnostic for much of my life.

Attempting to be a Noahide since finding JTF.

Same as me. Truly superior minds certainly think alike. ;)

Joe Schmo

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 04:21:57 AM »
It is great that JTF inspires Gentiles to become Noahides.

They are all following in the ways of Jimmy who was inspired by Chaim and The Rav.

Yes, indeed.  :)

newman

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 04:31:21 AM »
I was a noachide just before I found JTF....but what the hey. Torah is for everyone! ;D

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 04:40:12 AM »
Zvulun's comment was something that is heretical in Torah Judaism.

Really? How so?

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 04:52:01 AM »

Ari

Watch this:

That is horrible. If that is the case, Hitler has a lovely afterlife being worshipped by neo nazi boeheads the world over. It also means arafat  and a fallen IDF hero share the same fate. We might as well forget Torah and just suck up to young people. >:(

I don't know why you say that!

Hitler died like a dog. He had to be killed earlier. I dont care how many times he burns in hell now. His actual life had to be turned into hell.

Arafat died of AIDS. How can you compare this rat's fate with one of a fallen IDF soldier? Apples and oranges!

newman

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 05:09:49 AM »

Ari

Watch this:

I don't know why you say that!

Hitler died like a dog. He had to be killed earlier. I dont care how many times he burns in hell now. His actual life had to be turned into hell.

Arafat died of AIDS. How can you compare this rat's fate with one of a fallen IDF soldier? Apples and oranges!

I said it to illustrate to silliness of your previous post. If the afterlife consisted only of being remembered by the living, then both evil people fondly remembered by their followers would have the same fate as good people fondly remembered by theirs. Didn't you see the point?