Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Senior JTFer
Shalom
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:49:03 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:40:01 AM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Kabbalists, Segulas and Red Bendels: Not a Thread of Truth
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Whoever wrote this does not understand the purpose of a segula. This is not something which is made which attempts to change the future. It is nothing more than comparable to tzittzits which we see, in order to remind us of the commandments, of the mezuzzah which we post on our doors to remind us that we live in a Jewish house.

Every one of these things is something we do in order to remind ourselves, and make spiritual changes in ourselves, so that we merit the reward which we are asking for. If this was not to be done then why do we daven at all? We are attempting to change ourselves, so that the evil decree which may have been on us, may be averted.

PS: I don't know what the author is talking about the media discussing segulas? I have not heard this in the media at all...

PPS: I think that there are some who put too much faith in what some rabbis tell them is a segula for something and then eventually when it doesn't happen the way they expect they are devestated because they put faith in the segula and not in Hashem. If this article is addressing that then I agree that this practice is not good, and not the intention of the Jewish faith. I do not know any people who follow 'every word' of a particular Rabbi and I learn from many Rabbis. I would not accept if a Rabbi told me that if I did a special segulah it would garuntee an outcome. That is not according to Jewish faith as far as I understand it..

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:16:52 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
For further study on this topic you might wish to listen to the Audio lecture of the Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshiva University Rabbi Hershel Schachter
The Lecture is entitled Segulas, Superstition, and the Ayin Hara
and it seems to be very popular

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »
I enjoy a good segulah joke myself.   

As an example, the statement, "It's a segula," can be used in almost any context for easily-induced laughter.   

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »
For some technical reason I noticed the JTF site is not letting me print the link to the lecture of Rabbi Schachter. So if you want to hear it you will have to go to yutorah.org and do a search for
 the topic yourself.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
Is malachi the last book of prophecy? I thought king Solomon wrote it?
Please someone tell last true prophetic text is I want to know how hashem says goodbye

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »
Is malachi the last book of prophecy? I thought king Solomon wrote it?
Please someone tell last true prophetic text is I want to know how hashem says goodbye

We discussed this in the General forum earlier today...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14