Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:20:28 PM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Rambam's Mishneh Torah: Book of Knowledge: Idolatry
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
It's good to have them on the forum so people can actually read, quote, and discuss them here if they want, and that would be better than just a bunch of links.  I usually never just post links without the text, not even for single articles.  Eventually these will all be compiled into one thread with links to each section.
I agree with DBN its nice to have them right here available.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
Does anyone know if this means that Jews cannot own or display statues or action figures?  Or does it just apply to making them?

I remember talking about this issue on the forum several years ago.

I have a strict interpretation of this and I try to avoid any images of any thing at all. I have one painting on the wall of trees and a river and other than that just photos of my family.

In general images can lead to attribution of spiritual powers to physical objects. I believe this is the main reason Hashem clearly prohibited making images of things in creation.

As the Halacha from Rambam indicates images and models of non-human forms are not prohibited. Thus only sculpted human or angel forms are prohibited {at least according to my understanding}.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
Dan you mentioned discussing the Halachot on this here. But most (if not all) people won't read these long posts you are posting from the Mishna Torah.
 Why not have like a small number of halachot discussed daily (or whatever scedule) soo everyone can be on the same tract?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.