Author Topic: Question  (Read 760 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Question
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
Numbers 35 33-34:
33    So ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: for blood it defileth the land: and the land cannot be cleansed of the blood that is shed therein, but by the blood of him that shed it.
34    Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit, wherein I dwell: for I the LORD dwell among the children of Israel.
kjv

What's the actual torah verse for this? Is there punishment for killing in Israel, and what would some someone like Golda Meir get for choosing to wait until they come in to protect the land? Does this count since g-d's house is not here anymore, or his he here and just really mad muzzies are cozying up to goats on a rock G-d in there and we get the sin of what they do in, and the fact that there is a dome of the rockheads?

Earlier it says if you allow them to live among you they will be something in your eye and thorns in your side, and g-d will do to you as he thought to do to them.
 Does allowing goyim to live in the land of Israel with their own law negate "as they curse you so shall they be cursed?"? If you don;t want them to, but the people allow it to happen, do all share in it as a people? What extent does the differed punishment go to; is the punishment passed on just for what they do in/to Israel, just a punishment for the fact that they're in Israel or the actions of the people as a whole?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:58:02 PM »
I have found this discussion of these verses from a Torah perspective:

http://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/printShiur.aspx/943

"He will atone for His land and His people"

The description of Jewish history portrayed in the song of the "Ha'azinu" Torah portion is a difficult one. It illustrates the terrible sufferings of exile. The end of this process is most surprising. If "because of our sins we were exiled from our land," one would expect to find a call to repentance at the end of the portion. Yet, this is not the case. "This song," says Ramban, "contains no condition of repentance and service." The providence of a God who can no longer bear the evil of the nations as they disgrace the Jewish people and demands revenge on their behalf - this is what will bring the Redemption. This will serve as atonement for the nation. When bearing hardship has reached its maximum, God will redeem them for the sake of His name even if they do not repent on their own.

The atonement that the nation receives is not theirs alone. The nation has a partner - a partner in both transgression and in atonement. Its partner is the Land. "He will atone for His land and His people" (Ibid. 32:43). This passage calls to memory the Scripture's words in the "Massey" Torah portion that call for avenging the blood of the murdered: "…It is blood that pollutes the land. When blood is shed in the land, it cannot be atoned for except though the blood of the person who shed it" (Numbers 35:33). The land, too, suffers the hardships of Exile. There comes a point in time when she can no longer bear being a "city of refuge for murderers of Jews." The Land demands rectification. She demands that justice be done to those corrupt persons who have settled her. She desires to see her children returning to her and showing favor to her dust.

Indeed, not by merit of its virtues alone is the nation redeemed. It is redeemed through the merit of the Land as well. "I will remember my covenant with Jacob as well as my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham. I will remember the land" (Leviticus 26:42). The Land participates not only in laying claim to redemption; she shares a portion, along with the nation, in the punishment of the Exile. Through that great emptiness which gripped the land during all of the years of the Exile, she participates in the process of atonement for the sins that were carried out upon her (Sforno, Or HaChaim). And with the redemption of the nation, the land too is redeemed (Rashi). "God, You have been favorable to Your land; You have brought back the captivity of Jacob." (Psalms 85:2).

"The Land of Israel is not something external, not an external acquisition of the nation... the Land of Israel is an essential unit bound by the bond-of-life to the People..." (Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Kook, Orot).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
Thanks! No matter how well I can read the kjv, it never makes the sense that torah does. What about the earlier verse, Numbers 33:56? What is the extend of punishment we receive for the sins of Islam? If you give me the Hebrew letters I can try to make more sense out of the numerology, if your description doesn't make the full picture.

Maybe I should have put this topic in Torah and Judaism, though the point of it is about Israel.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge