Author Topic: Scotty has FINALLY been Beamed Up!  (Read 987 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Scotty has FINALLY been Beamed Up!
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »
I used to be {and in some ways still am} a fan of The Original Series (TOS) of Star Trek. While growing up Star Trek inspired my imagination and in some ways lead to my becoming a Computer Scientists and working on advanced software for embedded video/audio systems.

Scotty was the lead engineer on the original Star Ship Enterprise and was responsible for the 'transporter' which was used to 'beam' crew members to the surface of planets from the ship.... Scotty died a few years ago... But he wanted his remains to be in space so he enlisted a private company to do this...

Yesterday his wishes were granted..

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/22/ashes-star-trek-cotty-ride-private-rocket-into-space/

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. –  Scotty has finally been beamed up. The ashes of the actor James Doohan, who played Scotty on the 1960s television series "Star Trek," were launched to space this morning (May 22) on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

The unmanned Falcon 9 blasted off at 3:44 a.m. EDT (0744 GMT) from here at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, carrying the Dragon capsule filled with cargo bound for the International Space Station. Also packed aboard the rocket was a secondary payload carrying remains from 308 people, including Doohan and Mercury program astronaut Gordon Cooper, according to ABC News and Reuters.

The ashes were flown under an agreement between the spacecraft's builder, private rocket company SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies Corp. of Hawthorne, Calif.) and Celestis, a company that books memorial spaceflights to "launch a symbolic portion of your loved one's ashes into space," according to its website.

PS: I don't recommend this sort of 'burial' for Jews. We must not be cremated, and we must be buried in the earth, in order for the Techiat HaMatim...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Scotty has FINALLY been Beamed Up!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
That's a cool story. I am pretty sure that the ashes would probably eventually fall back to earth though, but they'd be in orbit for a long time probably.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
I used to love the original Star Trek series as well.  Captain Kirk was my favorite of all the captains (from the spin-off series). 

With Star Trek: The Next Generation, my impression was that it was just about a group of business people who happened to be in space.  It was all about who was vying for a promotion, who was dating who, etc. 

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
I visited Cape Canaveral 3 times.  :dance:
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »
I visited Cape Canaveral 3 times.  :dance:

I visited it twice, to watch my Uncle launch on the shuttle.  Scared my Grandmother to pieces.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
A video tribute to Scotty (James Doohan)..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »
I used to love the original Star Trek series as well.  Captain Kirk was my favorite of all the captains (from the spin-off series). 

With Star Trek: The Next Generation, my impression was that it was just about a group of business people who happened to be in space.  It was all about who was vying for a promotion, who was dating who, etc.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2081
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.