Author Topic: Yartzeit for 9/11 Victims is Elul 23, or this coming Monday  (Read 2557 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Yartzeit for 9/11 Victims is Elul 23, or this coming Monday
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
I said Kaddish for my brother last Shabbat because I was not sure whether I would be able to again daven in a minyan before the date of my brothers death, September 11th. He was a victim of the 9/11 attacks on America while he worked in the World Trade Center on the 105th floor for Cantor Fitzgerald.

The date of the Yartzeit is Elul 23, or Monday September 10th...

Here is a link to my brothers page at the Cantor Memorial site for their 9/11 victims : http://www.cantorfamilies.com/cantor/jsp/tribute.jsp?ID=4493

The 9/11 museum has this page : http://names.911memorial.org/#lang=en_US&page=person&id=2882

My brothers name in the memorial in Jerusalem

View of the memorial and the wall of names

Here is the information as provided by the HebCal (Hebrew Calendar) service:

Sat 14-Apr-2012 Yizkor (Pesach VIII)
Mon 28-May-2012 Yizkor (Shavuot II)
Mon 10-Sep-2012 Jonathan Uman's Yahrzeit (23rd of Elul)
Wed 26-Sep-2012 Yizkor (Yom Kippur)
Mon 08-Oct-2012 Yizkor (Shmini Atzeret)

Tue 02-Apr-2013 Yizkor (Pesach VIII)
Thu 16-May-2013 Yizkor (Shavuot II)
Thu 29-Aug-2013 Jonathan Uman's Yahrzeit (23rd of Elul)
Sat 14-Sep-2013 Yizkor (Yom Kippur)
Thu 26-Sep-2013 Yizkor (Shmini Atzeret)

Tue 22-Apr-2014 Yizkor (Pesach VIII)
Thu 05-Jun-2014 Yizkor (Shavuot II)
Thu 18-Sep-2014 Jonathan Uman's Yahrzeit (23rd of Elul)
Sat 04-Oct-2014 Yizkor (Yom Kippur)
Thu 16-Oct-2014 Yizkor (Shmini Atzeret)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:54:09 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Yartzeit for 9/11 Victims is Elul 23, or this coming Monday
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/281636/jewish/Yahrzeit-Memorial-Anniversary.htm

Yahrzeit: Memorial Anniversary

Despite the Germanic origin of the word yahrzeit, the designation of a special day and special observances to commemorate the anniversary of the death of parents was already discussed in the Talmud. This religious commemoration is recorded not as a fiat, but as a description of an instinctive sentiment of sadness, an annual rehearsing of tragedy, which impels one to avoid eating meat and drinking wine--symbols of festivity and joy, the very stuff of life.

Tradition regards this day as commemorative of both the enormous tragedy of death and the abiding glory of the parental heritage. It was a day set aside to contemplate the quality and life-style of the deceased, and to dwell earnestly upon its lessons. It is a day when one relives the moment of doom, perhaps even fasts to symbolize the unforgetable despair. It is a day conditioned by the need to honor one's parent in death as in life, through study and charity and other deeds of kindness. It is also conditioned by the non-rational, but all-too-human feelings that it is the day itself which is tragic, one which might bring misfortune with every annual cycle, and for which reason one slows one's activities and spends a good part of the day safely in the synagogue.

Yahrzeit may be observed for any relative or friend, but it is meant primarily for parents. Its observance takes place in three locations: the home, the synagogue and the cemetery.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
 Muman, I will be praying for you and your family! G-d bless you all!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:05:56 AM »
Can I ask you a few questions? They might be a bit touchy...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
Can I ask you a few questions? They might be a bit touchy...

I suppose so...

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »
Muman, I'm very close to my one and only brother and I can't tell you how sorry I am for what you're going through with the loss of your brother.  A person has to be very strong to bear the pain of what you've been going through.  May G-d ease your pain and keep you strong. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
Muman, I'm very close to my one and only brother and I can't tell you how sorry I am for what you're going through with the loss of your brother.  A person has to be very strong to bear the pain of what you've been going through.  May G-d ease your pain and keep you strong.

Thank you very much... It is indeed a hard time... Out here in CA 9/11 seems like just another day... But I have this dreadful feeling and an anger which is burning beneath the surface. I feel as if we have no way to get true justice. I have my doubts as to whether OBL was killed by obuma and the fact that the event has turned into a political football. Also all those who throw around crazy conspiracy theories really gets me fired up...

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
Quote from: muman613
Thank you very much... It is indeed a hard time... Out here in CA 9/11 seems like just another day... But I have this dreadful feeling and an anger which is burning beneath the surface. I feel as if we have no way to get true justice. I have my doubts as to whether OBL was killed by obuma and the fact that the event has turned into a political football. Also all those who throw around crazy conspiracy theories really gets me fired up...

The conspiracists, like that PIG Rosie O'Donnell, are really sick and evil people.  Stupid beyond belief, too!  They rile me up as well, but it's best to think of them as horrible nut jobs and dismiss them as being insane, which they are. 

And, believe me, OBL was definitely killed.  The Navy Seals definitely got their man.  There is absolutely no reason to doubt them.  And Obama is sure about it, too, because imagine what it would do to Obama if OBL turned up all of a sudden.  OBL is dead and gone.  Clinton could have killed OBL when he was President, but he didn't want to do it. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:40:41 PM by IsraelForever »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
Each morning when I drive into work I get to a spot in Queens where I was able to see the World Trade Center like a picture post card...  Sadly each morning since the attack I would get to the same spot and see a dark skyline where a once spectacular skyline use to be... For the past few months now the new Freedom Tower has got to the point that it is now lit up and visible just like the old trade center... New Yorkers remember just what happened on 9-11 and how many people lost their life in the attack... I saw a moment by moment documentary on the last moments of the Trade Center the other day and all the years later it still made me very mad and sad... muman here in New York  people like your brother are not forgotten... There is nothing we can do to bring him back however the memory of people like him that lost their lives because of the actions of evil animals will go on for some time to come if not forever... G-d willing your brother is resting in peace.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »
Thank you cjd...

From the looks of it the 9/11 memorial is beautiful. I am so sorry that it is so expensive but I hope people understand that the families of the victims need this to heal.

Offline Brett

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 05:46:16 AM »
muman my heart goes out to you. As I do on this sad occasion I light 1 solitary candle and ask with all my heart that G-d give comfort to the ones that still hurt and grieve, this I will do especially for you.

Stay strong, plow on.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
Muman,  You, your brother and your family have been on my mind all morning.  I have included you all in my prayers.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I know it must be very difficult for you, especially, on this day.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
I said Kaddish for my brother last Shabbat because I was not sure whether I would be able to again daven in a minyan before the date of my brothers death, September 11th. He was a victim of the 9/11 attacks on America while he worked in the World Trade Center on the 105th floor for Cantor Fitzgerald.

The date of the Yartzeit is Elul 23, or Monday September 10th...

Here is a link to my brothers page at the Cantor Memorial site for their 9/11 victims : http://www.cantorfamilies.com/cantor/jsp/tribute.jsp?ID=4493

The 9/11 museum has this page : http://names.911memorial.org/#lang=en_US&page=person&id=2882

My brothers name in the memorial in Jerusalem

View of the memorial and the wall of names

Here is the information as provided by the HebCal (Hebrew Calendar) service:

Sat 14-Apr-2012 Yizkor (Pesach VIII)
Mon 28-May-2012 Yizkor (Shavuot II)
Mon 10-Sep-2012 Jonathan Uman's Yahrzeit (23rd of Elul)
Wed 26-Sep-2012 Yizkor (Yom Kippur)
Mon 08-Oct-2012 Yizkor (Shmini Atzeret)

Tue 02-Apr-2013 Yizkor (Pesach VIII)
Thu 16-May-2013 Yizkor (Shavuot II)
Thu 29-Aug-2013 Jonathan Uman's Yahrzeit (23rd of Elul)
Sat 14-Sep-2013 Yizkor (Yom Kippur)
Thu 26-Sep-2013 Yizkor (Shmini Atzeret)

Tue 22-Apr-2014 Yizkor (Pesach VIII)
Thu 05-Jun-2014 Yizkor (Shavuot II)
Thu 18-Sep-2014 Jonathan Uman's Yahrzeit (23rd of Elul)
Sat 04-Oct-2014 Yizkor (Yom Kippur)
Thu 16-Oct-2014 Yizkor (Shmini Atzeret)

Muman,

I read your letter: beautiful.