Author Topic: July 4 - 17 Tammuz  (Read 3877 times)

Offline yaaqov

• Full JTFer
    • Esser Agaroth
July 4 - 17 Tammuz
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:08:15 AM »
Erev Shabbath Parshath Pinhas 5767

July 4 - 17 Tammuz

Mishnah Ta'anith

"4:6 Five things happened to our 'forefathers' on 17 b'Tammuz, and five on 9 b'Av. On 17 b'Tammuz--the tablets were broken, and the Tamid [offering] ceased, and the city [of Jerusalem] was breached, and Apastimos burned the Torah [scroll], and he set up an image (statue) in the Temple....."

All in all, the 17 of the Fourth Month (Tammuz) has been an unhappy day for Am Yisrael (the Jewish People), to say the least. So, perhaps you will be surprised then to learn that July 4, 1776, the day the United States of America declared its independence from England, fell on 17 Tammuz 5536.

In the short-term, the founding of the USA could be seen as something positive for Am Yisrael. After all, many Jews have benefited from the extensive educational and financial opportunities, made available by living in the USA. Many Jews have even found refuge there, a reprieve from suffering, persecution, and even death. My parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and I have all certainly benefited. And for that, I am grateful.

When I lived in the US, of course, I celebrated the Fourth of July. It was a lot of fun, and after all, it's not a "religious" holiday, but a national one, far from offensive to the diverse, American population, right? For most Jews, the Fourth of July was considered "kosher."

But this world can be deceiving. With the exception of a few Torah-enriched neighborhoods, what has living in America done for Am Yisrael spiritually? Assimilation, intermarriage, materialism, confusion of "western" values with Torah values.... Many Jews have turned to the false, spiritual band-aids, of so-called "liberal Judaism." Just like morphine, it's never enough. Give me more.... Water Judaism down some more.... Make my spouse Jewish.... Tell me my spouse doesn't even have to be Jewish....

Sure, Israel's certainly not immune. Tel-Aviv looks more like a European city than a Mid-Eastern one. And I defy you to locate a Hebrew, neon sign in Hertzliyah from the freeway. (They're all in English.) But, for those of you who continue to sing the praises of the Almighty America (lehavdil) and its accompanying angels, the dollar and the military, wake up already before it's too late. If being Jewish has any importance to you whatsoever, and you don't want to lose what you still have, then get on the plane....

You can still have your barbeque. It'll just be on the Fifth Of Iyyar instead. Then you can have your watermelon in the summer as usual. It's supposedly good to eat before a fast.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:35:25 AM by yaaqov »
Ya'aqov Ben-Yehudah

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
Re: July 4 - 17 Tammuz
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:26:15 AM »
Umm....today is the six of july.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline yaaqov

• Full JTFer
    • Esser Agaroth
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:35:55 AM »

Yeah,...and your point is....?
Ya'aqov Ben-Yehudah

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:05:37 AM »
Excellent post yaaqov.  You are 100% correct.   It's not a coincidence that July 4th fell on the 17th of Tammuz.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »

Yeah,...and your point is....?
umm....you are late   :o
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline yaaqov

• Full JTFer
    • Esser Agaroth
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »

umm....you are late   :o

Fair enough....

Just a little.  It's still relevant.  :-)
Ya'aqov Ben-Yehudah

Offline yaaqov

• Full JTFer
    • Esser Agaroth
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »
Excellent post yaaqov.  You are 100% correct.   It's not a coincidence that July 4th fell on the 17th of Tammuz.

Thanks.  :-)
Ya'aqov Ben-Yehudah

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:11:21 AM »
This is really good.  Excellent post!