Author Topic: Anyone else sickened by Thanksgiving Day sales?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Anyone else sickened by Thanksgiving Day sales?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
  I think a Jew can be thankful for America and not assimilate at the same time. Thanksgiving would probably the the only (also with memorial day and things like that as well) least problematic holiday for Jews in America to keep. If one if off anyway why not get together with people and spend time with them? Unlike some of the other holidays it has no religious significance soo it would not be problematic.
 And about assimilation. The problem is much deeper than that. It is more problematic to eat with other nations which can lead to assimilation then to eat a turkey with one's family.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »
  I think a Jew can be thankful for America and not assimilate at the same time. Thanksgiving would probably the the only (also with memorial day and things like that as well) least problematic holiday for Jews in America to keep. If one if off anyway why not get together with people and spend time with them? Unlike some of the other holidays it has no religious significance soo it would not be problematic.
 And about assimilation. The problem is much deeper than that. It is more problematic to eat with other nations which can lead to assimilation then to eat a turkey with one's family.

But does a family with an intermarried son or daughter have Thanksgiving with them? Do they have ham (which seems to be a growing custom)?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:19 PM »
But does a family with an intermarried son or daughter have Thanksgiving with them? Do they have ham (which seems to be a growing custom)?
No they definitely should not eat any non kosher food, maybe some kosher corned beef or a turkey!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
No they definitely should not eat any non kosher food, maybe some kosher corned beef or a turkey!

I agree, but to follow Halacha one would have to ensure that the utensils and dishware are kept separate, etc....

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
I agree, but to follow Halacha one would have to ensure that the utensils and dishware are kept separate, etc....
Maybe the whole group should follow Halacha, being the founders of the holiday were wannabe Jews!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

Its obvious not to eat non-kosher even if their are only Jews at the meal. In general Jews should be separated from other society especially when eating. It leads to assimilation and is part of Halacha prohibiting it. Why? Because a person would go to his neighbors, eat together, drink together then hive him give his daughter to your son or vice-versa. It leads to assimilation and intermarriage.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
Its obvious not to eat non-kosher even if their are only Jews at the meal. In general Jews should be separated from other society especially when eating. It leads to assimilation and is part of Halacha prohibiting it. Why? Because a person would go to his neighbors, eat together, drink together then hive him give his daughter to your son or vice-versa. It leads to assimilation and intermarriage.
So, Jews shouldn't eat with the gentiles?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »
So, Jews shouldn't eat with the gentiles?

There is a Jewish law which prohibits this.... But few today actually know about it...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »

There are plenty of ways to make this work if one truly wanted to get together with family.  For example, when my family has a gathering, I simply bring my own food.   They definitely don't keep kosher and neither are their utensils kasher, so I just bring my own food.  Still there are other ways you can make it work too, double wrap in aluminum foil to heat up your meal or to cook it, just bring your own utensils or use plastic.  Lots of things to make it happen if someone wanted.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
How are you guys so mad at this object of no concern? There is obviously a root problem to this, but if you're really going around whining for it, chilax, even if you beat this, which you can't, it would be replaced with something worse. Choose your gaddamn battles.
No one is mad...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
I thank G-d for this great country! I thank G-d that my ancestors died to allow others to come here to be free and practice their own religion!

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »
Thanksgiving is not a pagan holiday, the people that founded it did not follow any pagan holidays! It was a day to thank G-d for allowing them to make it to a secure land, free of oppression of religion!

That is true, but we still have to fight!

Ephraim:
Please hear me out.
I am a Heinz 57.  You probably dont know this:  My mothers side is Portuguese/Sephardic and my fathers side is Seneca/Iroquois.
I am a Daughter of the American Revolution. 

So, you must understand that Thanksgiving to me used to be a PATRIOTIC day. 

It is NOT patriotic OR American anymore. 
To me, it is PAGAN because heathen, ungodly FILTH 'celebrate' it.

My being a person who believes in G-d to the MAX, albeit not 'religious'--- I CANNOT celebrate something that is just sick and has totally lost its meaning.  Something that FOR SURE, G-d is NOT blessing at all.

Please respect this.

I am in a DEEP depression and SERIOUSLY angered with what these EVIL satanic filthy, debaucherous skanks have done to my country that I could explode.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 10:38:06 PM »
I agree AsheDina! I'm very pissed!

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
Instead of thanking G-d for this great nation, we're more concerned with 6 a.m. sales. What happened to the days when all the stores were closed, and it was about being with family?

I agree Ephraim.  I think the answer is to buy as few presents as possible and to buy them online.  I hear amazon.com is quite good.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »
There are plenty of ways to make this work if one truly wanted to get together with family.  For example, when my family has a gathering, I simply bring my own food.   They definitely don't keep kosher and neither are their utensils kasher, so I just bring my own food.  Still there are other ways you can make it work too, double wrap in aluminum foil to heat up your meal or to cook it, just bring your own utensils or use plastic.  Lots of things to make it happen if someone wanted.

Double wrap? I know its done but I dont think its technically needed.

I know one can get around getting together with non-religious family members. Although personally I guess I am lucky that we and most people in family do keep Kosher. Immediate family are strictly (glatt) Kosher now. Have other family that are the same (and I do go there), but for others they say they keep kosher but I just dont eat there. Not that I dont trust them, just I am not sure about some things like if their dishes need to be in Mikwah and they dont and didn't do it and if I am allowed. Also sometimes they might buy from "Kosher" yett not too sure about the status of such meat (or chicken).
 I need to clarify these things, but for the longest time I haven't eaten at their homes. I eat with them (my house and few others who are glatt, and restaurants) but not at there home.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »
I agree Ephraim.  I think the answer is to buy as few presents as possible and to buy them online.  I hear amazon.com is quite good.
WHAT?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »

Yepp ps3 for $200. Will have to sell it thought dont really need that crap. Wanted to buy a womens (to give away or resell it) watch, had the deal, but didn't get it, b/c who knows who will buy it and how long will have to hold it.

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
WHAT?

Reduce consumerism and try to get as good a buy as possible.  I think 'fighting' with these thugs for who gets the latest electronics device first is a bug mistake.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 11:08:45 PM »
Double wrap? I know its done but I dont think its technically needed.

Well the reality is, you need foil wrap (one layer) around the food, but the halacha requires double wrapped because that protects just in case there is a tiny hole somewhere in your one layer.   That's what I was told.   And I consider that pretty reasonable because foil is really thin and very easily punctures, that can happen by accident.  Or, you could wrap a layer around your food and not even realize there is a small hole somewhere.   double wrap is a precaution to make sure it is actually fully wrapped.

I know one can get around getting together with non-religious family members. Although personally I guess I am lucky that we and most people in family do keep Kosher. Immediate family are strictly (glatt) Kosher now. Have other family that are the same (and I do go there), but for others they say they keep kosher but I just dont eat there. Not that I dont trust them, just I am not sure about some things like if their dishes need to be in Mikwah and they dont and didn't do it and if I am allowed. Also sometimes they might buy from "Kosher" yett not too sure about the status of such meat (or chicken).

If I remember right, whether the other person has toveled their pot/utensil or not, it has no bearing on the kashrut status of the food made in it.   That person is just chayav to do it and not doing it they are doing an averah.   But I'm pretty sure food can be eaten from it because it's not your dish and you were never obligated to tovel it - it's all about the ownership.   But double check with your rabbi on that.    As far as the meat they are getting I don't know but you can probably just check to see what hechsher it has.