Author Topic: Haifa Jews Demand 'Equal Holiday Rights' for Hanukkah  (Read 898 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Haifa Jews Demand 'Equal Holiday Rights' for Hanukkah
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
Haifa Jews Demand 'Equal Holiday Rights' for Hanukkah
Jewish residents of Haifa complained that the city broke its usual “holiday status quo” , showing more favor to another winter holiday.

By David Lev
First Publish: 12/10/2012, 3:58 AM

Haifa has long used the “holiday season” to promote itself as a destination for tourists, both from Israel and abroad. For Haifa, that has meant using the symbols of the season's Jewish holiday, Hanukkah, to attract Jews from Israel and abroad, and the symbols of the season's Christian holiday, such as the Christmas tree, to attract tourists of that faith, mostly from abroad, but also including Russian and Arab Christians living in the area.

This year, however, a number of Jewish residents complained that the city broke its usual “status quo.” Hannukah menorahs were nowhere to be found, the residents said, while Christmas trees were ubiquitous. Outraged Jewish residents of Haifa sent petitions and embarked on phone campaigns, demanding that their holiday be given equal billing with the Christian one.

The issue was serious enough for Haifa Deputy Mayor Shai Blumenthal, a member of the Bayit Yehudi party, to lend his name to the cause in an appeal to Haifa Mayor Yona Yahav for action. Blumenthal was joined by city council member Aryeh Blithenthal (United Torah Jewry), who called for equal holiday representation for Jews.

Eventually the appeals and protests had an impact. While the Christmas trees are still plentiful, more Hanukkah decorations were seen on streets over the weekend. And, several large menorahs have been set up around town, the largest being at the city's Chabad House.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Haifa Jews Demand 'Equal Holiday Rights' for Hanukkah
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
What is this, some kind of arm wrestling contest? Obviously Haifa is a Jewish city. However it's hard for me to feel sorry for people who are getting tourist money into their city which will benefit the shop owners, hotel owners, etc. The decorations are meant to make it a more appealing destination for tourists. There should be Jewish symbols too as it's obviously a Jewish place, but since the point of allowing tourism there is to get the tourist's money then it seems practical to cater to such tourists and I don't see why it should need to be strictly equal. If there is resentment against what would be seen as symbols that are against Judaism then don't allow tourism at all.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
What is this, some kind of arm wrestling contest? Obviously Haifa is a Jewish city. However it's hard for me to feel sorry for people who are getting tourist money into their city which will benefit the shop owners, hotel owners, etc. The decorations are meant to make it a more appealing destination for tourists. There should be Jewish symbols too as it's obviously a Jewish place, but since the point of allowing tourism there is to get the tourist's money then it seems practical to cater to such tourists and I don't see why it should need to be strictly equal. If there is resentment against what would be seen as symbols that are against Judaism then don't allow tourism at all.

Your comment is invalid in light of the fact that the law requires it to be equal.  People who share that living space, through their representatives, agreed upon the current law. 

If it was a real Jewish law, probably no nonJewish symbols would be allowed, let the tourism fallout be what it may.  But the current law is the law, and the petition is on behalf of residents who want at least that much to happen.   I don't see any grounds to complain about the wishes of those residents.   Haifa is a mixed place (unfortunately too many arab terrorists stayed there or came back thanks to Moshe Dayan and others).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:17:48 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »
I would only suggest that they also have Kwanzzzza decorations as well....

Like the Kwanzalabra or a statue of Kwanaza Clause flying in his shiny flying saucer.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
Im just disgusted by this... Israel, the entire Holy Land, was intended for Jewish observance of religion. The other religions should respect this, but they don't. Does the Vatican put out Menorahs on Chanukah in order to attract Jewish tourists? Oh yeah, the Vatican is presumed to have the Temple Menorah somewhere hidden in the catacombs.... But they will never observe Chanukah because it symbolizes Jewish strength and resistance to false beliefs...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »
Im just disgusted by this... Israel, the entire Holy Land, was intended for Jewish observance of religion. The other religions should respect this, but they don't. Does the Vatican put out Menorahs on Chanukah in order to attract Jewish tourists? Oh yeah, the Vatican is presumed to have the Temple Menorah somewhere hidden in the catacombs.... But they will never observe Chanukah because it symbolizes Jewish strength and resistance to false beliefs...
Let's focus your disgust on the root of the problem... Personally I see it as a money making deal... At a few points over the past 60 or so years Israel was in a position to put an end to a great deal of the outside influence over locations considered holy sites by non Jews... They did not... The Temple Mount is one great example of the failure of Israels government to retain control of places important to the Jewish Religion... For whatever reason dollars, good will, political correctness or pressure the government of Israel has seen fit to make the holiday season in Israel one that is attractive to tourist of all religions... People visiting holy sites bring quite a few dollars in to local business and accommodations... I am sure people visiting Israel expect to see Menorahs as well as other Chanukah decorations everywhere in Israel and would not be bothered by them in the least... I don't see your position about the Vatican needing to put up Menorahs in the Vatican to attract Jewish tourist... For one thing what would be the point? Unlike holy sites in Israel the Vatican City should have no religious value to Jews and a Menorah placed there in my opinion would almost be a form of proselytizing... Jew's visiting the Vatican should be there enjoying the artwork there and nothing more... The Vatican does have an extensive gold collection some on display and some placed in storage however it's under the church itself just down the set of stairs that go under the main alter... The catacombs to my understanding are not part of the Vatican City complex... I am sure there are artifacts that are Jewish in origin however I honestly don't believe that even the Vatican itself could conceal having an artifact like the Temple Mount Menorah in its collection.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
I think it's very simple as CJD puts it: they want the money from tourism so they use symbols associated with Christmas.  That said, it's inexcusable for a Jewish state to not have symbols of Jewish holidays, especially in light of the fact that they seem to have symbols of non-Jewish holidays out and about.  While many would say this is unJewish of me, I always like the Christmas season as a Jew living in the late 20th early 21st century.  I have a Christian father and I remember the holiday times happily.  But in Israel not to have menorahs out for the holiday season is just another example of how warped some Jews are in their priorities, if that's the case here

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
If someone does announce they are rebuilding the Holy Temple can you trust that they are doing so for the right reasons? What if they want to rebuild it and use it to advance a leftist agenda in some way? It's not beyond evil people to use something holy for evil purposes.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
After looking at the three main arguments by Rubystars, KWRBT, and Muman, I came up with a decision of what I feel is right.

KWRBT is right...the law is the law and Haifa is not following the law.  However, if I had it my way, the law would be Jewish things in a Jewish state and non Jewish things not in a Jewish state...or whatever the Torah law requires.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »
The leftist agenda is Gentiles lording it over Jews in the Holy Land, and not doing what God commands.  Rebuilding the Temple would conflict with the leftist agenda because it would require them to upset their allies the Muslims, and it is a commandment of God to build the Temple.  However if for some strange reason leftists started rebuilding the Temple, religious Jews should take it over just like religious Jews should have taken over the Zionist movement.

What I'm saying is that what if instead of building it how it's intended to be built, an evil self hating Jew pretends to be doing the right thing and orders the temple rebuilt, only for it to turn out that he  or those in his regime put Egyptian, Hellenistic,  or other evil hidden symbolism all through the temple instead of creating a temple for the real God, he creates a temple to pagan deities and fools average Jewish people into thinking its the real thing? I could see that as one thing potentially happening as an attempt to gain the support of righteous Jews who might otherwise be opposed to this person. What if he makes it look legit but it's secretly something else? Only someone who is knowledgeable about esoteric symbols might know the difference. Remember that six pointed stars are used both as a legitimate symbol in Judaism and as a pagan hexagram. There are other symbols with double meanings and other pagan symbols which can be easily hidden. I wouldn't put it past the globalists to do such a thing.

Have you ever heard of "too good to be true?" I also believe that the real Temple will eventually be rebuilt, but I would be skeptical if say, the leaders of Israel suddenly do a 180 on this issue. They might build a fake first.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
It's good that there are some safeguards in place. I guess if there were going to be a forgery, a lot of people would have to be complicit in it which would make it more difficult to carry off without a hitch.

Offline USAReturn2GodNow1776

• Pro JTFer
  • proud christian & kahanist
    • the urban grind
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
Just what we would need.. a shrine of the silver monkey or statue of Buddha in Beit HaMiqdash.  :laugh:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
I dont think that the average Jewish taxpayer in the state of Israel should pay for any decorations used for observing foreign religions. It stains the entire Jewish population... If the store owners and the city would like to raise contributions for such non-Jewish services it is their perogative....  I really hope no religious Jews contributed to this apparent chilul Hashem...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »
Just what we would need.. a shrine of the silver monkey or statue of Buddha in Beit HaMiqdash.  :laugh:

I think I remember that first one from a show on Nickelodeon.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »
Unlike holy sites in Israel the Vatican City should have no religious value to Jews and a Menorah placed there in my opinion would almost be a form of proselytizing... Jew's visiting the Vatican should be there enjoying the artwork there and nothing more... The Vatican does have an extensive gold collection some on display and some placed in storage however it's under the church itself just down the set of stairs that go under the main alter... The catacombs to my understanding are not part of the Vatican City complex... I am sure there are artifacts that are Jewish in origin however I honestly don't believe that even the Vatican itself could conceal having an artifact like the Temple Mount Menorah in its collection.

They actually do (have the Temple Menorah). They also have many Jewish artifacts and written documents (manuscripts).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.