Author Topic: ebooks  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
ebooks
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
I want to read the Torah, Tanakh, and the Talmud. But it has to be in English because I do not speak Hebrew. Does anyone which Ebook version of those 3 books would be the best?

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: ebooks
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »
me too. i want to see all the jewish secrets. in english.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
I never read the Torah, but i think the book is translated in all languages? I was thinking about buy one this weekend in the mayor book shop.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
I want to read the Torah, Tanakh, and the Talmud. But it has to be in English because I do not speak Hebrew. Does anyone which Ebook version of those 3 books would be the best?

Are you Jewish? If so I recommend a printed Chumash with Hebrew on one page, and English translation and commentary on the other. I use the Artscroll chumash.

I don't know if there are any free Chumashim on the Android... But there are several great apps with the daily prayers...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
I never read the Torah, but i think the book is translated in all languages? I was thinking about buy one this weekend in the mayor book shop.

When you say Torah you mean Chumash, or Tanakh? The Chumash are the five books of Moshe. The Tanakh is the entire Jewish Canon of scripture (Torah, Naviim, Ketuvim)...

Chabad provides the Tanakh online @ http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/63255/jewish/The-Bible-with-Rashi.htm

I would recommend not 'Reading it' and picking your own interpretation. The only way to learn Torah is the go through the weekly portions and learn from a Rabbi. The Torah is not literal and there are often portions where the literal meaning and the actual meaning differ. This is why we have the Oral law (tradition) to tell us when things are literal and when there are other explanations (such as Eye for Eye, etc.)...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
Here is a link to the Android siddur I use during the week..

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/reference/anddaaven-siddur_grmf.html

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Yes I am Jewish. Thanks for the link, I will start reading there

Are you Jewish? If so I recommend a printed Chumash with Hebrew on one page, and English translation and commentary on the other. I use the Artscroll chumash.

I don't know if there are any free Chumashim on the Android... But there are several great apps with the daily prayers...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
Yes I am Jewish. Thanks for the link, I will start reading there

Maybe you could learn by watching the weekly Torah portion videos I post each week in the Torah section of the forum...

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
I will check those out as well thanks

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
To be honest i don't know alot about judism. I realy have to read some books. I don't like to read on the internet all the time.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
Thanks for all the infornation!

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
I'm Jewish too.
Let me in on all your secrets.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
To be honest i don't know alot about judism. I realy have to read some books. I don't like to read on the internet all the time.
I use the JPS Tanakh, we should all read the Torah regardless of different paths.

Your a Christian? It came from the Torah and Talmud, get back to the root!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 12:42:52 AM »
I use the JPS Tanakh, we should all read the Torah regardless of different paths.

Your a Christian? It came from the Torah and Talmud, get back to the root!
Yes i am a Christian from birth.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:32:46 AM »
How about getting a Tanakh with Rashi's commentary. (Correction: I saw Muman already mentioned it and posted the link).

Personally, (and honestly) I cheated and got the Audio Torah (JPS) and listen to it being read to me. I do have the JPS Tanakh but I am a very poor reader and I have never in my life been able to finish reading any book. It's a fault on my end, reading is a challenge for me (since I was a kid). At least with the Audio I can listen and read a long at the same time. It's the only way I can get through it. I don't recommend for people to just go out and get the audio Torah or Tanakh- I just have a reading problem. I always want to study, but reading is painful for me.

But Muman is correct in mentioning to study from a respectable Rabbi's Torah portions.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 02:04:15 AM »
How about getting a Tanakh with Rashi's commentary. (Correction: I saw Muman already mentioned it and posted the link).

Personally, (and honestly) I cheated and got the Audio Torah (JPS) and listen to it being read to me. I do have the JPS Tanakh but I am a very poor reader and I have never in my life been able to finish reading any book. It's a fault on my end, reading is a challenge for me (since I was a kid). At least with the Audio I can listen and read a long at the same time. It's the only way I can get through it. I don't recommend for people to just go out and get the audio Torah or Tanakh- I just have a reading problem. I always want to study, but reading is painful for me.

But Muman is correct in mentioning to study from a respectable Rabbi's Torah portions.
Ive read loats of books when i was a kid but now i'am getting older it's getting more dificult to concentrate on reading.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
When you say Torah you mean Chumash, or Tanakh? The Chumash are the five books of Moshe. The Tanakh is the entire Jewish Canon of scripture (Torah, Naviim, Ketuvim)...

Chabad provides the Tanakh online @ http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/63255/jewish/The-Bible-with-Rashi.htm

I would recommend not 'Reading it' and picking your own interpretation. The only way to learn Torah is the go through the weekly portions and learn from a Rabbi. The Torah is not literal and there are often portions where the literal meaning and the actual meaning differ. This is why we have the Oral law (tradition) to tell us when things are literal and when there are other explanations (such as Eye for Eye, etc.)...

mwarrrharrr now I'm on my vey to being rich!
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774