Author Topic: Dutch court orders Orthodox Jews to carry ID on Shabbat  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Dutch court orders Orthodox Jews to carry ID on Shabbat
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 01:37:08 AM »
I may be off base here, but wouldn't sewing it into he garment make it no longer carrying?    For example, a garment has a patch sewn on that says "Shatnez free" if you get your suit jacket checked for shatnez at certain places.   It's not "carrying" to walk around with that tag sewn on the jacket. Why not cut a square hole into the inside of the jacket and sew the ID inside of it?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:37 AM »
I may be off base here, but wouldn't sewing it into he garment make it no longer carrying?    For example, a garment has a patch sewn on that says "Shatnez free" if you get your suit jacket checked for shatnez at certain places.   It's not "carrying" to walk around with that tag sewn on the jacket. Why not cut a square hole into the inside of the jacket and sew the ID inside of it?

Did you copy ACK's answer? He proposed that this afternoon. I concluded that it may be a solution to the issue, but I would consult a Rabbi who would know of any reason to oppose it...

what if you sew the ID onto the inside of your large outer coat. That way its part of your coat and you are not actually carrying anything?
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
I don't believe that your comment was written in English.   Please try again.
I'am from Holland and i do my best to write English as good as posable. Sometimes when i'am on my mobile i make some mistakes. If you got a problem with that then it's you're problem. Clear?
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »
Yet more persecution! Ive started carrying a hammer with me on my walks!   >:(

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 04:22:22 AM »
Sewing your ID so you can comply with some fascist rule ? And if some [censored] policeman ask them to show their ID they would then have to unsew the ID out of their cloths, so that would be a "melacha" for real.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 06:12:20 AM »
You walking around with a hammer? Thats curious...
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
Now i know how the Serbs feel! :o

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »

what if in the VERY likely case that he catches the head of the hammer?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
Did you copy ACK's answer? He proposed that this afternoon. I concluded that it may be a solution to the issue, but I would consult a Rabbi who would know of any reason to oppose it...

I didn't read his suggestion this way.   I thought he meant having it in the pocket.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:23 AM »
Sewing your ID so you can comply with some fascist rule ? And if some [censored] policeman ask them to show their ID they would then have to unsew the ID out of their cloths, so that would be a "melacha" for real.

lol, no you just open your jacket and show him.   Why would you have to take it out?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
lol, no you just open your jacket and show him.   Why would you have to take it out?
I was thinking sewing it inside a pocket.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
I was thinking sewing it inside a pocket.

Oh no I mean with like a clear plastic window over it that you can see through.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
Here is a solution which would require more technology, and it would probrobly face opposition from some...

What if you needed no ID but they could identify you by bio-metrics? Eye retina scans? Fingerprint or brain-scan?

Answers the 'carrying' prohibition...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
Here is a solution which would require more technology, and it would probrobly face opposition from some...

What if you needed no ID but they could identify you by bio-metrics? Eye retina scans? Fingerprint or brain-scan?

Answers the 'carrying' prohibition...

I'm sure some of them cops would be smart enough for that.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »
I don't think there is something to do about it. We all have to carry our ID, doenst matter ore it's Christmas ore Shabbat. By the way, how is this in Israel and in the US? I tought people in the US are required to carry there ID with them all the time to?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
I don't think there is something to do about it. We all have to carry our ID, doenst matter ore it's Christmas ore Shabbat. By the way, how is this in Israel and in the US? I tought people in the US are required to carry there ID with them all the time to?
I don't believe there is actually any requirement that people walking around their neighborhood must carry ID actually on the books however if people live in a place where police are active it would be easier to have ID to show them should some question come into play... I don't believe I have ever had a cop stop me on the street and actually ask for ID and about the only time I keep ID on me is if I am away from home or driving...  In my opinion if the law is on the books  that all people must have ID with them at all times then people should just carry their ID... A coworker of mine who immigrated here from South America once told me he was pulled in years back because the cop did not like the looks of his ID during a traffic stop... His wife had to bring down his passport to the police station with his photo on it to clear things up... He said from that day on he kept his passport in his car... Now days most drivers licenses have a photo on them so I am sure he no longer needs to carry the passport.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
I'am from Holland and i do my best to write English as good as posable. Sometimes when i'am on my mobile i make some mistakes. If you got a problem with that then it's you're problem. Clear?

Oh, because you're foreign, huh?

Nope, still no kid gloves from me.

But how wonderful.  You think it's fine and correct to force religious Jews to violate their beliefs all in the name of making them your "equal."   You are a special kind of fascist.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »
I don't think there is something to do about it.

Is this your foreign-code-language way of telling us all to shut up about not liking this law and for trying to think of ways around it that fit within our religious requirements?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
The short response to this situation is that it is yet more undeniable evidence that every Jew belongs in Eretz Yisrael. The longer answer to it is that it demonstrates that there are damn few "rightists" and "patriots" anywhere on planet earth that aren't also anti-Semites.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 01:25:30 AM »
But this would not be forced on Muslims.