Author Topic: Who has taken the 7 train in Queens?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Who has taken the 7 train in Queens?
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »
Who remembers this? I recall someone interviewing Chaim on it in 2000 for an article on some website.   

JOHN ROCKER has opinions, and there’s no way to sugarcoat them. They are politically incorrect, to say the least, and he likes to express them.

On ever playing for a New York team: “I would retire first. It’s the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you’re [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It’s depressing.”

On New York City itself: “The biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners. I’m not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?”

For these comments, Rocker was suspended, forced to undergo psychological testing and endure “sensitivity” training, not to mention paying a $20,000 fine.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Who has taken the 7 train in Queens?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
The 7 train is actually a 'mild ride' compared to some.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
my sister used to ride the 7 train to flushing.
once in a while she would have the misfortune of sitting next to someone who would pull it out and start yanking it.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
I would say that Rocker had a right to say what he said, but was only 75% right.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
Many NYC'ers here?

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
 :yuck:
my sister used to ride the 7 train to flushing.
once in a while she would have the misfortune of sitting next to someone who would pull it out and start yanking it.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
It must have been quite a culture shock for him.
You can understand his view point coming from outside of New York.
I would say that Rocker had a right to say what he said, but was only 75% right.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
It must have been quite a culture shock for him.
You can understand his view point coming from outside of New York.

Some individuals who come from another part of the country which is monotonousness and have a certain culture will experience this type of culture shock.

The Homeless Yanker situation is a whole other thing.  That's not something a normal person in any part of the world will even get used to.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
I use to use that train line back in the mid 80's to go between Flushing and Long Island City... The trip was only about 5 or 6 miles but there was an adventure in every trip...The more entertaining ride was the return trip in the afternoon since the train was less crowded... Thank G-d people still had some decency back then  and  refrained from being arrested for indecent  exposure :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
I used to take it regularly.  It was very crowded, and very slow.  Even the express 7 was slow.  Most of the ride was above ground though.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »
I used to take it regularly.  It was very crowded, and very slow.  Even the express 7 was slow.  Most of the ride was above ground though.

Better off taking the LIRR to get to some of the same spots.  But it is very slow.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
Better off taking the LIRR to get to some of the same spots.  But it is very slow.

The LIRR is expensive.  They just raised their fare (again) for the Great Neck monthly tickets from $223 to $242.  My boss told me it would be increasing to $280 as well. 

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
I've been taking the 7 express line lately for my massage appts and it is fairly fast.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »
The LIRR is expensive.  They just raised their fare (again) for the Great Neck monthly tickets from $223 to $242.  My boss told me it would be increasing to $280 as well.

I guess it entirely depends on how quickly and safely you want to get home. One time I decided to take the 7 train, get off at Flushing and then hop on the LIRR (and avoid paying for any ticket to Great Neck) and it took forever to get back. Unfortunately the other way would require getting off at Woodside and then driving home and paying for a car.

But yeh, it sucks no matter how you get into Manhattan whether it is tolls, bus, or train.  I would just go for the most convenient fast way.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
Some individuals who come from another part of the country which is monotonousness and have a certain culture will experience this type of culture shock.

The Homeless Yanker situation is a whole other thing.  That's not something a normal person in any part of the world will even get used to.
Still,  nothing surprises a New Yorker.  I would be grossed out, but not surprised.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 04:05:19 AM »
Coming back from LaGuardia Airport late at night after my flight arrives (Q33 bus to the 7 train), I take it from Queens into Manhattan.  I'm oftentimes the only white person in whatever car I enter.  Luckily, no one has ever bothered me. 

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
When taking the 7 Train, one quickly understands that the U.S. is fast becoming a third world nation.  Wake up YT!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
If a man sat next to me and did that, I'd snap his [censored] neck. I'd probably tell him to move first, and if he didn't I'd claim rape, but no matter the legal consequences, I'd snap his [censored] neck. I was supposed to go to New York for business recently, and realized I was more scared of that than getting circumcised, so [censored] it. I went through that stench ridden place once on my way down south, and never want to go back there ever again.
New York has come a long way in the past 20 or so years... It's actually quite nice here now... Now and then people will cross paths with a few nut jobs however it's just best to ignore them unless they get right into your face... Years ago I did work that caused me to go into some of the worst parts of the city at all hours of the day and night... It was not pleasant at times however I only had one or two situations that might have been a bit dangerous but turned out well in the end... It was in the days before people carried cell phones and going into neighborhoods left me to deal with the situations  on my own... People just need to mind their own business but pay attention to whats going on around them... Anyway New York has a lot of things to see not to mention historic places and fear not I am almost willing to bet you won't be confronted with any men exposing themselves.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »
Thinking about it, nope, not gonna happen. There are more murders in New York than in Canada.
The population of the New York City metropolitan area is just under 20 million people... I think all of Canada has about 35 million... I doubt even with numbers like that New York's murder rate is all that much different than all of Canada... 2012 had 414 murders in New York City ... All of Canada 598... Seems proportional to me.