Author Topic: I feel like starting a fight!  (Read 3147 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: I feel like starting a fight!
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
I bumped into this geeky review today, I think he makes a good point.
http://xahlee.info/linux/linux_desktop_pains.htmlI like Linux very much but I can't in recommend it to 95% of the people. It just doesn't come ready for hustle free use out of the shelf. It may look like it does, but sooner or later you will run into some sort of issue that requires a special solution.

Windows of course is full of troubles too, but Linux is less friendly.

Windows is buggy, often difficult to configure through GUI's, has been slower than Linux in many areas, and is a magnet for viruses and malware. Except for the purpose of gaming I see no reason to use Windows for anything...

If you have a quad-core machine you can use Linux as your primary OS and run Windows in a Virtual Machine as I do. I trust the Linux kernel better than Microsoft because anyone (who has the ability) can get the sourcecode to Linux and make any changes he or she wants. It is also easier for the average person to monitor what is going on in Linux so one can catch processes which are hogging the CPU.

Aside from gaming I cannot see any reason to even run Windows. While I don't need all the fancy features of MS Word, I find OpenOffice and Google Docs to be satisfactory replacements and very powerful applications on their own. For web browsing and email Linux is more than adequate. The software for Linux has matured, and there are several developers working on modern Gaming titles native for Linux.

I swore many years ago I would never purchase another microsoft product. And with Linux I have never had to install Windows (other than on machines at my work, where I still primarily use Linux but I also port my applications to Windows using the wxWidgets cross-platform library) and I am happy....

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
Someone mentioned apple?
Let me knock on apple.
Why does apple fix their bugs so fast? Why is it that it seems apple has less bugs?

Who makes apple software? Apple
Who makes apple hardware? The factory of apple's choice, foxcon for example.
There are no variables in apple hardware.
Who makes IBM PC clones? HP, Dell, Asus, micron,  and hundreds of others.
Who makes apple clones? No one. Anyone who tried got sued by apple.
So, there are no hardware variables. So when there's a hardware problem apple fixes it once.
When there's a PC hardware problem. First, what part? Who makes it? So there could be numerous fixes to be made.

We can compare PCs with apples when they start making apple clones.

Same story with android and apple ios.
There are countless android hardware makers.
The iphone is made by foxcon - that's it, no one else.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
Windows is buggy, often difficult to configure through GUI's, has been slower than Linux in many areas, and is a magnet for viruses and malware. Except for the purpose of gaming I see no reason to use Windows for anything...

If you have a quad-core machine you can use Linux as your primary OS and run Windows in a Virtual Machine as I do. I trust the Linux kernel better than Microsoft because anyone (who has the ability) can get the sourcecode to Linux and make any changes he or she wants. It is also easier for the average person to monitor what is going on in Linux so one can catch processes which are hogging the CPU.

Aside from gaming I cannot see any reason to even run Windows. While I don't need all the fancy features of MS Word, I find OpenOffice and Google Docs to be satisfactory replacements and very powerful applications on their own. For web browsing and email Linux is more than adequate. The software for Linux has matured, and there are several developers working on modern Gaming titles native for Linux.

I swore many years ago I would never purchase another microsoft product. And with Linux I have never had to install Windows (other than on machines at my work, where I still primarily use Linux but I also port my applications to Windows using the wxWidgets cross-platform library) and I am happy....
Installing any software except what's on the default repositories is harder on Linux. Configuring sound, keyboard, and i18n support is harder on Linux. If you install Linux out of the Box and browse a Hebrew website, the fonts will look awful. You have to install msttcorefonts or some other font package.

There are all sort of little stuff that can make one crazy and miserable on Linux. For example, after I upgrade my OpenSUSE to the latest edition, Google Chrome Browser couldn't be updated. There simply wasn't yet a google repository ready for it. I had to wait for weeks and manually checks out when I could add the google repository. Someone with less know how or attention would have just leave the system the way it is and so his chrome browser would have never been updated. Similar things might happen with any software you install from non-standard repository.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Installing any software except what's on the default repositories is harder on Linux. Configuring sound, keyboard, and i18n support is harder on Linux. If you install Linux out of the Box and browse a Hebrew website, the fonts will look awful. You have to install msttcorefonts or some other font package.

There are all sort of little stuff that can make one crazy and miserable on Linux. For example, after I upgrade my OpenSUSE to the latest edition, Google Chrome Browser couldn't be updated. There simply wasn't yet a google repository ready for it. I had to wait for weeks and manually checks out when I could add the google repository. Someone with less know how or attention would have just leave the system the way it is and so his chrome browser would have never been updated. Similar things might happen with any software you install from non-standard repository.

thats the consequence of opensource software like linux. you can customise the entire software, but its hard.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
thats the consequence of opensource software like linux. you can customise the entire software, but its hard.
I know. And it is very important for it to exists, otherwise the Apple and the microsofts would charge whatever they like for their product and make them ever more restrictive.

That's how things used to be before the PC clones and the the open source came to be.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 06:44:22 PM »
I havent touched Explorer... its been such an awful browser... but Ive heard the latest additions are finally on par with 'normal' browsers.
I never liked the old Explorer editions and I always felt they were open to virus attacks... When my old windows 98 and ME systems were no longer able to  be updated to the newer versions of explorer I switched to the original Firefox and was able to use the computers for many more years... Firefox started going bad around edition 4 before then it was great... The new Explorer seems like there have been some major improvements put in place however for now I will stick with Firefox.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »

Which is why Linux has had the "it's just for geeks" moniker for so long. Geeks have no problem making configuration changes and recompiling the kernel. In fact, many actually like it. Your basic everyday home user, not so much.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
Which is why Linux has had the "it's just for geeks" moniker for so long. Geeks have no problem making configuration changes and recompiling the kernel. In fact, many actually like it. Your basic everyday home user, not so much.

Who are you calling geek you nerd. Just kidding. Geek is a badge of honour these days.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774