Author Topic: The Dibbuk Box - The haunted Jewish winebox  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
The Dibbuk Box - The haunted Jewish winebox
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
http://www.dibbukbox.com/index.htm

Some freaky stuff if you ask me. Are people familiar with this so called 'Dibbuk box'? I saw a movie about it not long ago. I think it's fascinating.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: The Dibbuk Box - The haunted Jewish winebox
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
It seems like something that nobody should have anything to do with. You shouldn't want to interact with any type of evil force except to rebuke it.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
Nice looking website. But I must agree with Rubystars.
I did see the movie on YouTube (were you the one I discussed it with, SuperMentalia? It was in another thread). I watched in unfortunately, just because I became curious that Matisyahu was in it. I try not to watch those kind of things but it was WELL creepy.

I don't know about a dybbuk "box" but when it comes to the dybbuk- I know that not everyone in Judaism agrees about what they are. Some say demons (which is not accurate and there are no demons in the way one would think of "the Exorcist"). To others, they are souls of dead people. Being part of the gilgul (reincarnation) of the soul. In which a dybbuk is a soul that attaches itself to living people.

I try to keep an open mind, and I am very interested in the gilgul- I won't say that it is not impossible for them to exist...if they are real- as long as they stay far away from me. Before I became religious, I used to be very interested in all things paranormal, studying about the topic to an extent. But even then, I never tried to open the gates of communication because I knew the consequences. In my studies, I cam upon many stories where people wanted to fool around with the occult..as a joke. But through their actions and inexperience, invited entities into their lives. Leading to some terrible consequences.

Reading about it, however, may not open the gates of communication but it does invite overall negative influences. 

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
Nice looking website. But I must agree with Rubystars.
I did see the movie on YouTube (were you the one I discussed it with, SuperMentalia? It was in another thread). I watched in unfortunately, just because I became curious that Matisyahu was in it. I try not to watch those kind of things but it was WELL creepy.

I don't know about a dybbuk "box" but when it comes to the dybbuk- I know that not everyone in Judaism agrees about what they are. Some say demons. To others, they are souls of people. Being part of the gilgul (reincarnation) of the soul. In which a dybbuk is a soul that attached itself to people. I try to keep an open mind, and I am very interested in the gilgul- I won't say that it is not impossible for them to exist...if they are real- as long as they stay far away from me. Before I became religious, I used to be very interested in all things paranormal, studying about the topic to an extent. But even then, I never tried to open the gates of communication because I knew the consequences. In my studies, I cam upon many stories where people wanted to fool around with the occult..as a joke. But through their actions and inexperience, invited entities into their lives. Leading to some terrible consequences.

Reading about it, however, may not open the gates of communication but it does invite overall negative influences.

Thanks for the information. I will think about your last words about negative influences.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »
Yes it was me that started the topic about the movie last time IsraeliHeart.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
Oh ok, I remember now.
Yes the topic in an interesting one. And one can see the parallel here between the belief in ghosts. When a person is troubled or dies in bad circumstances or died not completing something they must do, they die but their spirit stays at the place they died. In a way "attached". Some parapsychologists believe that some spirits do not know that they are dead and continue "living" in their homes. Others are not really spirits but more of a recording of them that keeps getting played over and over again (residual hauntings- example- a "ghost" walks across the hallway every Monday at 2am). Others are spirits who are angry and either are punished to wonder in the earth without a body for the sins they did. Others are troubled and are forced to stay in the world by another force. And some are "invited" in by the living who mistakenly opened the door to their entities such as in evil spirits or demons.

I am NOT advocating any of those beliefs- I am merely pointing out what parapsychologists believe in their theories.

The dybbuk in this case, fit in with part of that in that they are souls of people who die having either done something terrible- in which way they are forced to wonder the world without a body. Souls, however, are attracted to bodies, that they may "live". And a soul must be complete and merit a body (the soul being compiled several layers- not just being a one "soul") in order to be born into a body. The dybbuk are actually either running away from the judgement and questioning by the angel of death at the grave, from another transmigration or the soul OR will attach itself to a body of a living person. In an attempt to be like a living person once again. Because a living person has body AND all the layers that a soul has. And so the dybbuk attaches itself to a person... until it will one day be gone. (Either the person dies or it gets the help it needs to finally leave).

It's a scary topic. Again, I would like to make it clear, that there are not my opinions but the things that some people believe in which can all be found online.
So, I am not saying any of this is real. Just theories of people. Mainstream Judaism would reject such a thing.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
Regarding the belief in Dybbuks, a Rabbi at Aish.com explains:

http://www.aish.com/atr/Dybbuk.html

Dybbuk

I recently received tickets to a ballet called "The Dybbuk," with music by Leonard Bernstein. It sounds like something like the "Jewish Exorcist." Please tell me what this is all about.

The Aish Rabbi Replies:

A dybbuk is a case of a dead person, whose soul is sent wandering by God because the soul does not merit eternal rest. In some instances that soul may "chase" a living person and enter that person's body - this creating a situation where an alien, second soul lives through the person's body. The word "dybbuk" is derived from the Hebrew word meaning "attachment."

In the Bible (Samuel 18:10), a bad spirit is briefly described as attaching itself to King Saul. Two of the most influential rabbis in modern history - Rabbi Yosef Karo (author of the Shulchan Aruch) and the Chafetz Chaim (author of the Mishnah Berurah) - have both have told of experiences regarding dybbuks - so such stories cannot be dismissed so quickly.

The exorcism ritual involves a quorum of 10 men who gather in a circle around the possessed person. The group recites Psalm 91 three times, and the rabbi blows a shofar (ram's horn) with certain notes, in effect to shake the possessing soul loose.

Such a case was reported recently in Israel, where a woman's dead husband came back, and began "speaking" through her. A team of rabbis went in and chased the dybbuk out of the woman. The story received widespread press throughout Israel, and seems to have been 100 percent true. As a result, many people were encouraged to look deeper into the issue of spirituality, and to some degree, this had the effect of turning some Jews back to Torah.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 05:12:22 PM »
Oh ok, I remember now.
Yes the topic in an interesting one. And one can see the parallel here between the belief in ghosts. When a person is troubled or dies in bad circumstances or died not completing something they must do, they die but their spirit stays at the place they died. In a way "attached". Some parapsychologists believe that some spirits do not know that they are dead and continue "living" in their homes. Others are not really spirits but more of a recording of them that keeps getting played over and over again (residual hauntings- example- a "ghost" walks across the hallway every Monday at 2am). Others are spirits who are angry and either are punished to wonder in the earth without a body for the sins they did. Others are troubled and are forced to stay in the world by another force. And some are "invited" in by the living who mistakenly opened the door to their entities such as in evil spirits or demons.

I am NOT advocating any of those beliefs- I am merely pointing out what parapsychologists believe in their theories.

The dybbuk in this case, fit in with part of that in that they are souls of people who die having either done something terrible- in which way they are forced to wonder the world without a body. Souls, however, are attracted to bodies, that they may "live". And a soul must be complete and merit a body (the soul being compiled several layers- not just being a one "soul") in order to be born into a body. The dybbuk are actually either running away from the judgement by the angel of death at the grave, from another transmigration or the soul OR will attach itself to a body of a living person. In an attempt to be like a living person once again. Because a living person has body AND all the layers that a soul has. And so the dybbuk attaches itself to a person... until it will one day be gone. (Either the person dies or it gets the help it needs to finally leave).

It's a scary topic. Again, I would like to make it clear, that there are not my opinions but the things that some people believe in which can all be found online.
So, I am not saying any of this is real. Just theories of people. Mainstream Judaism would reject such a thing.

Now i read your story, i must say, the person that bought this box on Ebay must have a lot of guts to take something like this in his own house. I hope the owner of the website will keep us up, and give us news about it. I think people have the right to know about curtain stuff.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
Thank you, Muman. I made a mistake them in saying it was not accepted by the mainstream. But if gadolim like Rabbi Karo and the Chafetz Chaim have mentioned them, I was wrong in this sense.
I do remember now, that there was a case with the Chafetz Chaim where a child or a woman had a dybbuk and it would talk to him and his students. But not all students could communicate with it. It was a dybbuk who would only speak to some of them but not all.

And yes, a dybbuk would be judged to wonder the earth. Such punishment is written about. Being judged to wonder the earth or being shot through space, wondering about without direction or life. I have read about that before. But I omitted it in my previous post.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Anyone know the "Old hag "?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
http://www.hasidicstories.com/Articles/Themes_In_Hasidic_Stories/nigal_intro.html

The following chapters of this book deal with transmigration (reincarnation) and exorcism. Transmigration falls into the realm of the mystic, while the exorcists of dybbuks, like those of demons, used means from the sphere between the mystic and the magical. These topics also are of great importance in the hasidic story, but they predate it. The first extant stories about transmigration, and those about the exorcism of dybbuks, come from sixteenth-century Safed. Since then, there is a quite extensive literature comprising transmigration and dybbuk stories. Although dybbuk stories have decreased in recent generations, such stories are still to be found occasionally; the belief in transmigration is deeply rooted among hasidim and kabbalists.

I must say that I tend to minimize my belief in such possessions and believe in a lot of cases severe mental illness was being observed as opposed to soul possession. But I do believe in transmigration of souls (Gilgulim), otherwise known as reincarnation, and thus the possibility that another soul may be able to enter a person.

There is a common Jewish concept that we receive an additional soul on Shabbat and Yom Tov (Holidays). Here is an example of this concept:

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380636/jewish/The-Additional-Shabbat-Soul.htm

On Shabbat, the mysteries of the Torah are opened

It is known that on Shabbat one receives an "additional soul". To understand the concept of the additional Shabbat soul, we must first discuss the three dimensions of the soul. These are the Neshama (from the Hebrew word "neshama", meaning "breath"), the Ruach (literally, "wind"), and the Nefesh (from the Hebrew word "nafash", meaning "rested").

The Neshama rests upon the brain; the Ruach dwells in the heart; the Nefesh is connected to the liver. The Nefesh and the Ruach, which are responsible for human emotions, are directly connected with the body. However, because of its lofty origin, the Neshama is not completely connected to the body; body and Neshama are two separate entities dwelling together.

http://www.torahcafe.com/jewishvideo/-video_d19b0cd05.html

http://www.torah.org/features/spirfocus/shabboscandles.html

Do you know that Shabbat also gives us an extra soul? During the rest of the week, one soul is powerful enough to receive the available holiness. But we need two souls to handle all the extra holiness that enters the world on Shabbat.

It is all too easy to ignore the extra soul and the extra spirituality that is available every Shabbat, and to spend the day just eating and sleeping. We need to ask ourselves, Is this the most efficient use of an extra soul?

So I will consider dybuks a possible reality but I give little credence to any evil forces being involved, as I see transmigration of souls a part of the tikkun (rectification) process..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »
Here is the original box: http://web.archive.org/web/20051105000557/www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rubyc/eBay_dibbuk.htm\

And thanks Muman for the link and explanations!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
Huh? What is this? I saw it, it seems like another BS way to make $ off superstitious and bored people.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Here is the original box: http://web.archive.org/web/20051105000557/www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rubyc/eBay_dibbuk.htm\

And thanks Muman for the link and explanations!

Yes thats the box. I tought it was already sold...

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
It was sold, that is just an archive of when it was on sale.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
Huh? What is this? I saw it, it seems like another BS way to make $ off superstitious and bored people.

Maybe it is, but who knows? There are things in life we can't explain.

Offline Draughts

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

Some freaky stuff if you ask me. Are people familiar with this so called 'Dibbuk box'? I saw a movie about it not long ago. I think it's fascinating.

You can also see freaky stuff on TV, too many so called documentaries about hauntings, looks like there are millions of paranormal investigators that supposedly speak with the other world, I am not sure what is that all about, is it a hoax for the audience or what

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »
You can also see freaky stuff on TV, too many so called documentaries about hauntings, looks like there are millions of paranormal investigators that supposedly speak with the other world, I am not sure what is that all about, is it a hoax for the audience or what
Lady 10, you can read the whole story on the Dibbuk website.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
What do you mean there are no demons Shlomo dealt with them and tied up ashmandi
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »
Maybe it is, but who knows? There are things in life we can't explain.

Who knows? Logic! Can't you see especially in this type of case that their is $ to be made from stupid, bored, superstitious people?
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
Who knows? Logic! Can't you see especially in this type of case that their is $ to be made from stupid, bored, superstitious people?

It is a movie... It is intended to make money...

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
It is a movie... It is intended to make money...

Exactly! People are bored. They want science fiction type of stuff.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »

What utter nonsense.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
What do you mean there are no demons Shlomo dealt with them and tied up ashmandi

Rambam also says there are no demons.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »
Well there are the type of demons that people think about which are red with horns and are able to go about causing bad things. If this is what people think of with the "dybbuk" story then no. There is no such thing. There is no devil with a pitchfork standing over anyone's shoulder. Nor the demons of superstitions in which many people have blamed things on- to take away their responsibility (ie: the devil was inside him, the devil made him do it, the devil inspires them etc). I never hear any Rabbi talk about "beware of demons", "rebuke satan" or devils possessing anyone or "get behind me satan" or any of those things. None of those things are true- and to actually to think that there are such things is not having trust in Hashem.

So I agree, no such thing.

Regarding what I wrote previously, I want to remind everyone that I am not saying I adhere to any paranormal beliefs personally. I read up about the subjects before...long time ago. But I just want to make a point that people may erroneously label a "dybbuk" as a demon. Which would not be the case. While some people may think that a dybbuk is equivalent to a demon; in it's classic tale the dybbuk was actually considered to be just a soul. A soul of a dead person that is attached to something or someone in the living world as either a punishment or as a way of escaping their troubled fate.

That is all. No devils or demons. 

And even then, I agree not to worry too much about it.