Author Topic: Questions For Any Cooks  (Read 663 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Questions For Any Cooks
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:39 PM »
Earlier this afternoon, I tried making a soup by throwing in a pot some mushrooms, an onion, a scallion, a pack of frozen collard greens, a tomato, tomato sauce, and some seasonings.  Unfortunately, it came out bitter.  So I decided to throw out the boiled vegetables and save the broth, which didn't taste as bad. 

Can any of you recommend a way to doctor up the broth so it won't taste bitter? 

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: Questions For Any Cooks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »
collard greens are bitter.

try water crest. Or spinach.
Water crest tastes great.

Although, its great taste would be drowned with all that stuff. Why tomato sauce? eek.

tomato sauce for spaghetti.

mushrooms + onion + water crest or spinach.
scallions last, when you're ready to drink it.
No seasonings needed. Maybe some sea salt. I don't use salt at all.

Also, at your age, don't forget to inhale some calcium later.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »
The bitterness is probably from the collard greens. Many winter greens tend toward bitterness. Next time one could possibly try cooking them briefly in a pot of water and then pouring out the water and cooking them again in a fresh pot of water. As for fixing the broth - I am not sure. If it's not too bitter, perhaps one could add sweetener to mask the mildly bitter taste.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
Kooks?

No...... cooks?.... sorry I'm in the wrong place.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Kooks?

No...... cooks?.... sorry I'm in the wrong place.

Cook some Kooks?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
Definitely not!!

That is un-kosher!  :::D

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »
Most certainly it was the collards. As for fixing the bitterness, a sweetener should do it but you need to use your taste buds. Add a little at a time and taste as you go. I don't know about you but sweet soup doesn't do much for me.

For future reference, I always like to boil my veggies and whatever else (chicken carcass, beef bones, etc.) for a few hours and reduce the liquid by about a third (I remember posting this in another thread once). You can then strain the whole thing, dispose of all the solids and keep the liquid. This gives you a very flavorful stock that you can use to make soup. I find that to be better than just throwing some veggies in water and cooking them for 15-20 minutes. In a pinch, that works, but I prefer both a flavorful soup and veggies that aren't terribly overcooked.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks HiWarp.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
Your mushrooms, onion, and or scallions would be good in a chicken based broth, that means simmering chicken breasts until tender and using the broth for soup.   Simmer Scallions and onions, brocoli, or spinach in a little amount of butter till tender, then add them to the broth about 2 cups, and a cup of water,  throw in some wild rice, or egg noodles,  pinch of sea salt, and simmer till done.  Makes a good soup...Collard greens are bitter, substitute other green vegies for them spinach is very healthy. Thats what I would do.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
Forgot to say, I use the chicken breast for chicken salad sandwiches on whole grain bread!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
We recently discovered a youtube channel by Jamie Geller, who specializes in Kosher Cooking... Jamie made Aliyah recently and is quite an advocate for Jewish Israel.

Channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/joyofkosher

Some good examples :

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
I'm surprised no one here made a joke about the collard greens. That's the favorite vegetable in the White House to accompany the fried chicken. UMM HMM! It's more healthy than French Fries dipped in mayonaise.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:57:40 PM by Binyamin Yisrael »

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:42:50 PM »
I'm surprised no one here made a joke about the collard greens. That's the favorite vegetable in the White House to accompany the fried chicken. UMM HMM! It's more healthy that French Fries dipped in mayonaise.

Yup.  Apparently, it's quite popular with African Americans who cook it with pork salt and/or pork.  The reason I know this is because I was looking for vegetarian collard recipes and found very few.