Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Behar-Bechukotai  (Read 2579 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Behar-Bechukotai
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Shalom my friends,

It has been a busy week for me at work and I am tired yet I want to start the video study thread for those who enjoy studying the Torah portion of the week. This week we are reading the double portion of Behar and Bechokutai. Since the portion of Bechukotai contains the Tochacha (Rebuke) it is always hard to read this portion because it reminds us of all the curses which Hashem promised to bring to us, and looking at history it seems that many of these curses actually have befallen us.

But despite these curses, the rebuke ends by promising that Hashem will never completely abandon the Jewish people, and he will always be prepared to receive our Teshuva (return/repentance).

Here is the Chabad Parsha in a Nutshell:

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2904/jewish/Behar-Bechukotai-in-a-Nutshell.htm

On the mountain of Sinai, G‑d communicates to Moses the laws of the Sabbatical year: every seventh year, all work on the land should cease, and its produce becomes free for the taking for all, man and beast.

Seven Sabbatical cycles are followed by a fiftieth year—the Jubilee year, on which work on the land ceases, all indentured servants are set free, and all ancestral estates in the Holy Land that have been sold revert to their original owners. Additional laws governing the sale of lands, and the prohibitions against fraud and usury, are also given.

G‑d promises that if the people of Israel will keep His commandments, they will enjoy material prosperity and dwell secure in their homeland. But He also delivers a harsh “rebuke,” warning of the exile, persecution and other evils that will befall them if they abandon their covenant with Him. Nevertheless, “Even when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away; nor will I ever abhor them, to destroy them and to break My covenant with them; for I am the L‑rd their G‑d.”

The Parshah concludes with the rules on how to calculate the values of different types of pledges made to G‑d.

Let us start with the latest video from Rabbi Richman of the Temple Institute:

Next listen to Rabbi Weisblum talk about the portion:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Behar-Bechukotai
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
Rabbi Richmans talk about the rebukes of our portion from four years ago:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Rabbi Shafiers short shmuz:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:01 AM »
Ok, I will start another series of videos on our double portion of Behar-Bechokutai...

Here is Rabbi Yehuda Moses in Los Angeles for TorahAnyTime.. Here is he talking about the Jewish way to look our our livelihood. This week we learn about the Shmittah year (Sabbatical year) which occurred ever seven years. Jews had to stop harvesting and planting the land... This would result in two years of no crops... Hashem promises us that if we keep his Shabbatot and Jubilees, we will be blessed with livelihood. When I did Teshuva I learned this lesson. My Parnassa has been blessed, Baruch Hashem...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »
Continuing on the theme of Shabbat, divinely commanded rest from creative work, Rabbi Finkelstein gives a three part discussion of the portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:38:07 AM »
Rabbi Nagen from Otniel talking about the Parsha. I believe he will talk about one of my favorite Rabbis in recent Zionist history, Rabbi Avraham Kook.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »
Rabbi Pinchas Winston has a show on Arutz Sheva, the 'Ask the Rabbi' show....

He is a Zionist and a kabbalist, and I love his style...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:17:26 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »
Rabbi Yitzak Ginsburg is one of the most respected living Kabbalists today. Another great Zionist who realizes the need to teach Jews the inner secrets of Torah.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:45:13 AM »
The hospitable Rabbi Machlis once again invites Jews from wherever into his home to teach Torah in Jerusalem.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 03:02:43 AM »
Alright, it is getting late.... Here is Rabbi Machlis teaching the Haftarah portion of this week..