Author Topic: "Equal rights for gentile troops in Zahal"?  (Read 912 times)

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
"Equal rights for gentile troops in Zahal"?
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
What is the correct Kahanist/Torah attitude to 100% gentiles who although not particularly enamoured with Jews and Judaism, still serve in the IDF and fight to defend Israel (eg Druze, Circassians, Bedouin, Christians, Russians, overseas volunteers and even some Muslim Arabs?
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4374242,00.html

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: "Equal rights for gentile troops in Zahal"?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »
Why is this a question, Wonga?  Every Israeli in the army should be treated as an equal, based on their rank and their performance.  How can anyone suggest that some lives spent defending the nation are less worthy than other lives?  If it's true that some person in the army stated this, then this is ashonda.  You can't expect other people to serve with valor if they feel that they count 'less.'  One can argue that Jews need to support one another first and foremost, but this article is not about Jewish filiality, it's about equal rights for those who equally serve.
     That said, as an alleged diplomat, he pursued remedying this situation in the wrong way..tp the best of my knowledge and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt which I have no way of knowing he deserves

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
Huh? I read the article and I don't see what he is pissed off about? What did any Rabbi (and who for that matter) say that was against him or any gentile in the army? It is known (and seen) Religious Jews saying a Meshaberach for all I.D.F. fallen soldiers including fallen Druze (and other) non-Jewish soldiers and their names are said as well (as per the ruling or Rav Ovadia Yosef). Soo I don't understand what the writer is talking about and why inciting the public (as seen by the comments) and even what is the complaint?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
I don't understand what the actual discrimination is in the article? And wouldn't viewing Jews as less in the Army be wrong if they are faithful Israelis? I mean the Nation of Israel in ancient and Modern times has always been a mosaic of peoples and it is said that  In Leviticus it states

"The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt" Vay 19:34

It is also written that:

the Lord shall have mercy on Jacob and again Choose Israel, and He shall place unto them on Their soil, and the strangers shall Accompany unto them and join the House of Jacob. Yeshayahu  14:1

I don't think discrimination of faithful Israelis is productive to Tikkun Olam. However, unfaithful Israelis should go.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
I don't understand what the actual discrimination is in the article? And wouldn't viewing Jews as less in the Army be wrong if they are faithful Israelis? I mean the Nation of Israel in ancient and Modern times has always been a mosaic of peoples and it is said that  In Leviticus it states

"The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt" Vay 19:34

It is also written that:

the Lord shall have mercy on Jacob and again Choose Israel, and He shall place unto them on Their soil, and the strangers shall Accompany unto them and join the House of Jacob. Yeshayahu  14:1

I don't think discrimination of faithful Israelis is productive to Tikkun Olam. However, unfaithful Israelis should go.

Amen... I don't see any reason to alienate the loyal IDF soldiers who are not Jewish. But I start to question whether Jews and non-Jews should be buried together in the save cemetery...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rational Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »
Amen... I don't see any reason to alienate the loyal IDF soldiers who are not Jewish.

Unless these "loyal IDF soldiers" are muslim, G-d forbid.
Jew or Gentile, Black or White - Against Islam we must unite!

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
Well there has been historically faithful bedouin tribes in the Israeli army since its inception. There is this secular Muslim guy who i've seen videos of on US campuses representing Israel he also was chased out of UC Irvine I think I can't think of his name right now..