Author Topic: 2 Religious Israeli girls win Muay thai world chapionships  (Read 11790 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4380452,00.html 

Devout Warriors

'A great honor for the ulpana.' Kickboxing champions in action Photo: Haim Zach
'A great honor for the ulpana.' Kickboxing champions in action Photo: Haim Zach

Ynet newsletter

Religious girls are Muay Thai champs

Two pious teenagers from Beit Shemesh, Kiryat Arba strike opponents mercilessly to win Thailand-style kickboxing world championship in Bangkok

Akiva Novick
Published:    05.16.13, 15:00 / Israel Culture

When talking about the world champions in Thailand-style kickboxing, one usually imagines tough Amazons who would gladly kick one's head or demonstrate a punch in the jaw at any given moment.

Well, two religious teenage girls are out to break that stereotype: The two Israelis, who combine training with Torah studies, won the Muay Thai world championship held in Bangkok several weeks ago.

Peace Punches
Thai boxing fosters Iran-Israel friendship / Itamar Eichner
When Israeli amateur Thai boxing champion Ilya Grad needs training partner, he goes to his good friend, Iranian champion Mostafa Abdollahi
Full story

Five times a week, Nili Block, 18, of Beit Shemesh, and Sarah Avraham, 18, of Kiryat Arba, replace their religious schoolgirl outfits with boxing gloves and sportswear and head to the boxing center at Jerusalem's Teddy Stadium.

The intensive training with a punching bag led them to the title of world champions: Nili defeated a Bulgarian opponents in the 51-54-kilogram (112-119-pound) class, while Sarah beat her British opponents in the 57-63.5-kilogram (125-140-pound) class.

"Our teachers at the ulpana (Jewish high school for girls) are very enthusiastic about it. They say it's an honor for us," says Nili.

Naama Etzion, principal of the AMIT Noga school where Nili studies, confirms that "it's a great honor for our ulpana. We encouraged her and helped her. She put days and nights into it and reached the top – and we're proud of her."

Nili's teammate Sarah immigrated to Israel from India three years ago. "Most of Kiryat Arba's residents approve of it. It's what I like and what I am good at."

The two religious warriors can put up a good fight against bigger and stronger opponents as well, says their coach Eddie Yusopov. "They are among the best in the team. They have no problem fighting boys. In the arena, religion means nothing. The main thing is the strength of the strike."
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: 2 Religious Israeli girls win Muay thai world chapionships
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
they are tough
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
Cool. I want to hire the two to work for me.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
Very very tough, but a laudable achievent.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »

Sarah Avraham

Nili Bloch

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:57:46 PM by Yerusha »

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
I can see training women to fight (if necessary even to fight men) for self-defense or protection of the home--especially in this world, but people hitting each other for sport...I'm not sure that's such a great thing.  That said, I'm glad they won

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »
Another tough Israeli martial arts world champion Judoist Yarden Gerbi
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4424107,00.html

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

Nili Bloch

Sarah Avraham

These are supposed to be religious women? You wouldn't think so from how they're dressed. Buy compared to many Secular Israeli women, that's actually pretty modest.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »

These are supposed to be religious women? You wouldn't think so from how they're dressed. Buy compared to many Secular Israeli women, that's actually pretty modest.
What? Should they have a burka on?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »
What? Should they have a burka on?

No. But since when do religious women walk around sleeveless?

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
G-d bless them.  May they win all their fights!

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

No. But since when do religious women walk around sleeveless?
First of all they are fighters, so I doubt sleeves are on their minds. Second, they are beating the crap out of each other, so I doubt being provocative is their goal...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
First of all they are fighters, so I doubt sleeves are on their minds. Second, they are beating the crap out of each other, so I doubt being provocative is their goal...

Well, if they are religious, they shouldn't dress like that in public where men can see it.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »

Well, if they are religious, they shouldn't dress like that in public where men can see it.
Are men freaking animals that can't control them selves?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:33 PM »
I think one of them is religious. (The danker one) the other looks more "modern-orthodox" especially the more liberal stream.
 The white one looks a little like Gilad Shalit to me. Just look at the face.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »
Soncino Translation of the Talmud Brachot 24A or as they transliterate the name, Berachoth
R. Hisda said: A woman's leg is a sexual incitement, as it says. "Uncover the leg, pass through the rivers",(Isaiah XLVII, 2.) and it says afterwards, "Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen" (Ibid. 3).

Is it the whole leg or only part of the leg that must be covered to avoid this problem?
Mishna Brura is lenient and says that only from the knee and upward does a woman's leg have to be covered to avoid this incitement. Other rabbis are stricter.

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 04:29:26 AM »
Whatever happened to cooking championships?  Every woman these days want's to be a tough guy and prove her manliness.. 

As Binyamin Yisrael said, these women make an obvious mockery of Tzniut..  Religious eh??   
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »
My Krav Maga gym invited a few Israelis for special seminars. I never had so many beatings from women before lol
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
That's right! They should dress modestly like this:

Or like this:

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
Soncino Translation of the Talmud Brachot 24A or as they transliterate the name, Berachoth
Is it the whole leg or only part of the leg that must be covered to avoid this problem?
Mishna Brura is lenient and says that only from the knee and upward does a woman's leg have to be covered to avoid this incitement. Other rabbis are stricter.

I think it is from the knee and upward, BUT the lady needs to make sure that it is all the times especially when sitting as well
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
Hey, the greeks wrestled completely naked.... At least these are dressed...

Men should not watch these matches... Should be something like 'For Women only'...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »
Hey, the greeks wrestled completely naked.... At least these are dressed...

Men should not watch these matches... Should be something like 'For Women only'...

Well, i'am not a muslim... Why should men not watch this? Is it because some men are soooo desperate and getting turned on when they see young girls fighting? That's silly...
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
The women in those pictures do not look immodest to me. 
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Its a waste of time to just sit and watch sports. But anyway to these who wrote against them what would you do in their situation. Did you think about that?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
I think it is perfectly fine for them to dress appropriately for the sport. But men should not be watching women who are not dressed properly.

Now in my past I hanged out with women who were very promiscuous. Everyone (every man) thinks that they are immune to desire caused by the sight of a scantily clad woman. But the fact is that eventually it leads your mind to think about inappropriate thoughts, which lead to inappropriate action. Remember that 'touching yourself' is a forbidden act for men. It is a difficult position men are put in when dealing with women who 'flaunt their skin'.

Not that I want to bring up the parameters of Tzniut in this thread, but suffice to say that men should not be watching women who are not dressed correctly. Even King David, the patriarch of the Messianic lineage, was seduced by an undressed woman. So too was King Shlomo seduced by many women. Even the most pious and most old man has desires which are lustful.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14