Poll

What do you think about Google's plan to launch high altitude balloons intended to provide wi-fi?

Good idea, high speed internet is a right for all humanity.
0 (0%)
Bad idea, may provide a perfect platform for surveillance.
2 (40%)
Don't know
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Google Balloons : Wi-fi provider or snoop platform?  (Read 485 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Google Balloons : Wi-fi provider or snoop platform?
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »
Google's project 'loon' intends to launch several high-altitude balloons into the atmosphere in the attempt to provide high-speed internet to areas of the world where other methods of providing access are not practical.

While in theory this may sound good I myself have some reservations about this. Considering the current surveillance which our government engages is, with information provided by Google and other tech companies, maybe this project should be considered another intrusion into the privacy of the people.

I also think high-altitude balloons may facilitate visual surveillance with cameras mounted on the balloons. These derigibles would be the perfect platform to provide 24 hour surveillance from the air of entire swaths of city and country.

I put this to a poll to see if anyone else considers this to be an issue.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnvillasenor/2013/06/16/can-google-fly-its-internet-balloons-
wherever-it-wants/

http://readwrite.com/2013/06/19/a-handy-guide-to-google-project-loon#awesm=~o9eNh6GRzN8uAt

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Google Balloons : Wi-fi provider or snoop platform?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
They plan to fly those balloons over Africa and remote places right ? Looks like it is irrelevant from my perspective, I just wonder how they could turn a profit from such a project.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
Some time back some company or another planned to deploy balloons like that to provide wireless internet service here in the USA... The proposal was to put up 3 balloons at points across the country that possibly could have provided direct service to all the lower 48 states...  I believe that this might be  something along them lines.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
Google's project 'loon' intends to launch several high-altitude balloons into the atmosphere in the attempt to provide high-speed internet to areas of the world where other methods of providing access are not practical.

While in theory this may sound good I myself have some reservations about this. Considering the current surveillance which our government engages is, with information provided by Google and other tech companies, maybe this project should be considered another intrusion into the privacy of the people.

I also think high-altitude balloons may facilitate visual surveillance with cameras mounted on the balloons. These derigibles would be the perfect platform to provide 24 hour surveillance from the air of entire swaths of city and country.

I put this to a poll to see if anyone else considers this to be an issue.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnvillasenor/2013/06/16/can-google-fly-its-internet-balloons-
wherever-it-wants/

http://readwrite.com/2013/06/19/a-handy-guide-to-google-project-loon#awesm=~o9eNh6GRzN8uAt

if they want to  film you, they'll film you.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »
I am reminded of the crafts which looked like Derigibles in the movie blade runner. These crafts were used to advertise among other things...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:20:07 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
It's an eventual threat to freedom and a tool that will be used for evil!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
It will just make it easier for terrorists in third world cesspools to have internet access.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:04:54 AM »
I don't see this as an issue.  They're high-altitude balloons.  Now let's keep this in mind:  Have you gone onto google.maps and looked at the satellite view?  It's all there already.  And you know the spies-in-the-sky that the CIA uses.  Those satellites can read the name on a golf ball sitting on the fairway.  My point:  If they want to snoop from the sky, they can already do it.  The horse has left that barn a long time ago.