Author Topic: "Gay Cure" Church Shuts Down, Minister Outs Himself  (Read 798 times)

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
"Gay Cure" Church Shuts Down, Minister Outs Himself
« on: June 21, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
They are now officially ex-ex-gay.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/gay-cure-ministry-shuts-down-leader-admits-attraction-to-men-29363069.html

A Christian ministry in the United States that offered to help gay people 'overcome' their sexuality through prayer has shut down after its leader offered an apology to the LGBT community and admitted that he himself had been attracted to men.

The decision to close down Exodus International - a group of 220 churches based in Florida - was announced on its website yesterday, following an extended apology from its president Alan Chambers for the 'hurt' caused to members of the LGBT community.

Within the apology, Mr Chambers, who is married to a woman, said he had "conveniently omitted [his] ongoing same-sex attractions" for several years and was sorry for the trauma that he had caused to other homosexual people.

The statement regarding the end of the ministry put the decision down to "a new generation of Christians looking for change".

Mr Chambers said: "For quite some time we've been imprisoned in a worldview that's neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical.

“From a Judeo-Christian perspective, gay, straight or otherwise, we’re all prodigal sons and daughters."

According to its website, Exodus had been "educating and equipping the Body of Christ to address the issue of homosexuality, gay and lesbian people" through counseling and prayer since 1976. However, the group had been discredited by public bodies representing psychiatrists and psychologists.

Mr Chambers said in his apology: "Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents.

"I am sorry that there were times I didn’t stand up to people publicly “on my side” who called you names like sodomite—or worse."

Gay rights activists have lauded the apology and move by Exodus. Sharon Groves of the Human Rights campaign told The Times that the move was "a welcome first step in honestly addressing the harm the organisation and its leaders have caused".

"Now we need them to take the next step of leadership and persuade all other religious-based institutions that they got it wrong," she said.

A separate ministry called Reduce Fear has been launched in Exodus' place.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: "Gay Cure" Church Shuts Down, Minister Outs Himself
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
Bad move.  But then again, they might have been very unsuccessful.

There should be an organization available to help those who want to live a true non sinful life rather than force people who feel gay to act and live gay.

Very messed up these homosexual groups.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
I am very skeptic about these reorientation groups, especially if they are based on religion and faith. I think the purpose should be to help them fight urges rather then plant self denial to fool themselves that they are not gay. It's like recovering alcoholics don't say they are "cured" but they can still resist the temptation to drink.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:12:06 AM »
I am very skeptic about these reorientation groups, especially if they are based on religion and faith. I think the purpose should be to help them fight urges rather then plant self denial to fool themselves that they are not gay. It's like recovering alcoholics don't say they are "cured" but they can still resist the temptation to drink.
I think homosexuals can be divided into two groups:

1--those that simply have this as a "thorn" for life, no matter what (regardless of whether this is biology, a mental impression made on them at a young age they cannot break, or something else)

2--those that partake in this lifestyle because it's currently so cool and revered

Those in the former group, if they are serious about not giving into their sinful nature or yetzer hara, deserve real help.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 04:48:06 AM »
I think this whole illness discussion is misleading.

It is a sin.

With the same right you can say homosexuality is an illness, you can claim that adultery, sex with animals, sexual relations between parents and children etc. is an illness.

Of cause certain people enjoy from this acts of abomination. They feel a temptation to do so.

Illness means basically that this people are not responsible for their sins. They are in some way excused. But this is not the case. People who argue like this do no favour to this sinners.

There is no doubt that homosexuals et al. will get the invoice in the end.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:52:47 AM »
I think homosexuals can be divided into two groups:

1--those that simply have this as a "thorn" for life, no matter what (regardless of whether this is biology, a mental impression made on them at a young age they cannot break, or something else)

2--those that partake in this lifestyle because it's currently so cool and revered

Those in the former group, if they are serious about not giving into their sinful nature or yetzer hara, deserve real help.
I don't think homosexuality is that cool someone straight would just think "hey it's so cool, I wanna become gay". I think maybe group 2 are of those gays who completely succumb to their urges and engage in a very hedonistic lifestyle.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »
The sin is acting on this inclination. Just feeling it is not a sin, it is a test.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 06:30:01 AM »
The sin is acting on this inclination. Just feeling it is not a sin, it is a test.

Yes, but this is more a theoretical distinction. Practically the people we talking about are acting.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
It's because the psychological community abandoned gay people and a quest to help them that those who want help are forced by default to go to organizations that have questionable methods or to suffer by themselves. 

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
I think this whole illness discussion is misleading.

It is a sin.

With the same right you can say homosexuality is an illness, you can claim that adultery, sex with animals, sexual relations between parents and children etc. is an illness.

Of cause certain people enjoy from this acts of abomination. They feel a temptation to do so.

Illness means basically that this people are not responsible for their sins. They are in some way excused. But this is not the case. People who argue like this do no favour to this sinners.

There is no doubt that homosexuals et al. will get the invoice in the end.
I don't think saying it is a sin and saying it is a mental illness are mutually exclusive. Many violent criminals, and even some non-violent ones like kleptomaniacs, etc. are demonstrably insane. This does not mean G-d will not hold them accountable for their actions.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 02:29:21 AM »
I don't think saying it is a sin and saying it is a mental illness are mutually exclusive. Many violent criminals, and even some non-violent ones like kleptomaniacs, etc. are demonstrably insane. This does not mean G-d will not hold them accountable for their actions.

Society tells them that they are not accountable. Of cause they are, like you write.