Author Topic: Who is the world's Greatest Living Jew?  (Read 454 times)

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
Who is the world's Greatest Living Jew?
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
We all know about the sick liberal jews....but who is the World's Greatest Living Jew?

Answer: ___?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Who is the world's Greatest Living Jew?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »
We all know about the sick liberal jews....but who is the World's Greatest Living Jew?

Answer: ___?

That is a question which only Hashem can answer. Who are you to judge a Jew? Do you know what goes on in the heart of a Jew? Do you know the mitzvot performed by the Jew, the adherence to moral laws and avoiding lashon hara? According to the Talmud all Jews are righteous, even those who do not observe the commandments. So while I admire many great Gedolim who are living today, I will not say anyone is the GREATEST because Judaism is a faith of Tzibur/community. No matter how great one Jew is he is still judged according to the Klal.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
Eruvin 19a

For Resh Lakish stated: The fire of Gehenna has no power over the transgressors in Israel, as may be inferred a minori ad majus from the golden altar: If the golden altar [the layer] on which was only of the thickness of a denar lasted for many years and the fire had no power over it, how much more would that be the case with the transgressors in Israel who are as full of good deeds as a pomegranate [with seed], as it is said in Scripture: Thy temples are like a pomegranate,27 and R. Simeon b. Lakish  remarked, ‘Read not, "Thy temples"28 but "Thy empty ones"29 [signifying] that even the  worthless30 among you are as full of good deeds as a pomegranate [with seed]’.31 What, however, about what is written: Passing
through the valley of Baca?32 —

That [refers to the fact] that [the wicked] are at that time under sentence to suffer in Gehenna,33 but our father Abraham comes, brings them up, and receives them, except such an Israelite as had immoral intercourse with the daughter of an idolater, since his foreskin is drawn and so he cannot be discovered.34 R. Kahana demurred: Now that you laid down that [the Scriptural expression,] ‘That rebel’35 implies ‘that they go on rebelling’35 would you also maintain36 that where it is written in Scripture: That brings out37 or That brings up,38 [the meaning is] ‘that always brings up’ or ‘that always brings out’?39 You must consequently admit40 that [the meaning is] ‘That brought up’ or ‘That brought out’ so [may one render  here] also, ‘who rebelled’.41

http://halakhah.com/rst/moed/13a%20-%20Eruvin%20-%202a-26b.pdf

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »
I wanted to be clever and say "Eliyahu HaNavi"... but Muman is correct.

We know every soul can be great, every soul has the spark. As the Rebbe used to say, "every soul is a diamond". Sometimes a child's act can be greater and more powerful than that of a scholar.

So, I withdraw my nomination.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 02:09:16 AM »
Chaim is on the list.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:35:43 AM »
Chaim is on the list.

Of course that is true... What JTF member who loves what this forum and organization is doing could not think this.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:36:42 AM »
I wanted to be clever and say "Eliyahu HaNavi"... but Muman is correct.

We know every soul can be great, every soul has the spark. As the Rebbe used to say, "every soul is a diamond". Sometimes a child's act can be greater and more powerful than that of a scholar.

So, I withdraw my nomination.

Great answer.... Eliyahu is certainly one of the all-time greatest Jews...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:18 AM »
I only would like to caution that questions such as this could lead to speaking Lashon Hara. Even in the case of speaking good about someone it is best to avoid excessive praise of a Jew because it could bring others to speak negatively. Because we are in the period of the Three Weeks I feel it is best if we could avoid such invitations to speak evil, even if on the surface it seems to be about things which are good.

Anyway, it is only my opinion.