Author Topic: Rav Ovadia Yosef the spiritual leaders of shas is dead  (Read 64957 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Rav Ovadia Yosef the spiritual leaders of shas is dead
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
http://www.nishma.org/articles/insight/insight5767-33.htm

The path to God is, thus, through kavod talmid chacham, but what exactly is the nature of this concept as understood within the context of this verse. A review of Rambam, Mishneh Torah, Hilchot Talmud Torah, chapters 5,6,7, where the laws of respecting Torah scholars are discussed, would seem to indicate that there are really three categories of respect found within the realm of kavod talmid chacham. One focuses on the unique kavod that one must have for his teacher. This respect is personal; it emerges from the world of Torah study that was shared between rebbi, teacher, and talmid, student. Another focuses on the unique kavod due the Torah leader or universal scholar – the gadol. This respect is communal; it reflects the important role of Torah in guiding the nation. There is, however, another area of kavod talmid chacham, one that simply reflects the respect for Torah itself. This is the nature of the respect that is being described in Devarim 4:4. It is not centred in the personal or in one’s relationships in learning.7 The verse is not describing how one should attempt to marry his daughter to his rebbi. It is also not based in the communal. The verse is also not describing how one should marry his daughter to a gadol.  The verse is stating that one should respect Torah study and Torah knowledge so that one wishes to have as a member of the family one who embodies limud haTorah. There is a base principle in Torah, one that is actually at the core of our desire to connect to God, and that is to respect Torah knowledge, respect the Torah housed within the human being.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
It is a mitzvah not to denigrate a Talmid Chacham:

http://www.dafyomi.co.il/menachos/insites/mn-dt-099.htm

Perhaps the answer is based on the next words of the Gemara here, which says that one may not be disrespectful to a Talmid Chacham who forgot his learning. The Gemara derives this from the fact that the broken Luchos (compared to a Talmid Chacham who forgot his learning) were also treated with respect and placed in the Aron. However, if this is learned from the broken Luchos, then why does the Gemara phrase the requirement to treat such a Talmid Chacham with respect in the negative, saying that say that one may not disgrace him? The Gemara should say that one is "required to honor him," just as one is required to give honor to the broken Luchos!

The answer is that the fact that the Torah does not explicitly command us to put the broken Luchos in the Aron implies that there is no Mitzvah to give honor to the broken Luchos. Rather, the requirement is to avoid disgracing them; if they would be left out of the Aron, they would be disgraced. Since the Torah is not giving a Mitzvah to honor the broken Luchos but merely to avoid disgracing them, it teaches this obligation through an implication and not explicitly.

Similarly, there is no Mitzvah to actively give honor to a Talmid Chacham who forgot his learning. Rather, the Mitzvah is to avoid disgracing him and treating him with disrespect. (Mordechai Zvi Dicker)
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
" I mean, who are we to condemn Shalom Akshav, Rabin, and the other lefties for doing what they thought was in best interests of the Jewish people anymore than Rav Ovadiya Yosef for doing what he thought was best. "

How do you compare someone who literally shot at Jews and did things deliberately against the Jewish people like Rabin and "shalom achshav" to someone who freed thousands of women from being Agunot (women who are "trapped" and cannot remarry because their husbands were in a war and its hard to determine if they died or not) and went through the cases case by case spending a lot of time and effort doing everything to investigate and free those women to remarry again and have a life (just one example).
 Or how they fight against the Torah and preach against it, compare that to someone who built many many Yeshivot and got many Sefardic Jews to come back to Judaism (Shabbat, Kashrut, holidays, modesty, Jewish day school learning etc.) ? And who's life was for the Torah and writing books that will be used for generations to come like the Shulhan Aruch? Where does the comparison begin?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
" I mean, who are we to condemn Shalom Akshav, Rabin, and the other lefties for doing what they thought was in best interests of the Jewish people anymore than Rav Ovadiya Yosef for doing what he thought was best. "

How do you compare someone who literally shot at Jews and did things deliberately against the Jewish people like Rabin and "shalom achshav" to someone who freed thousands of women from being Agunot (women who are "trapped" and cannot remarry because their husbands were in a war and its hard to determine if they died or not) and went through the cases case by case spending a lot of time and effort doing everything to investigate and free those women to remarry again and have a life (just one example).
 Or how they fight against the Torah and preach against it, compare that to someone who built many many Yeshivot and got many Sefardic Jews to come back to Judaism (Shabbat, Kashrut, holidays, modesty, Jewish day school learning etc.) ? And who's life was for the Torah and writing books that will be used for generations to come like the Shulhan Aruch? Where does the comparison begin?

You are correct, I have overlooked some of the great things he has done.. I suppose I let my emotions shadow some of the great achievements he has made.. Book knowledge alone will not give me respect for man, but helping his people, especially through this knowledge and wisdom he possesses is something I will greatly admire.  However, just as I greatly admire and honor the great deeds done by such honorable and well-learned men, I also loathe and hate men with such knowledge and influence who commit horrible atrocities.  I will not say Rav Ovadia Yosef, partook in the Oslo ACcords, as Muman, yourself and others pointed out that perhaps there is misinformation to the actual part he played in the whole ordeal.

I will refrain further as I want to investigate in more depth the part Rav Ovadia Yosef, himself, actually played in the Oslo accords.   Please accept my apologies.

Maybe, someone (or Chaim, himself) can explain Chaim's sour feelings towards Rav Ovadia Yosef?  Chaim's testimony about the Shas betrayal against him was very agonizing for me to read.
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
I am not defending Shas at all... I only defend the honor of a Torah sage who has done a lot of good for Israel and the Sephardic community.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
I am not defending Shas at all... I only defend the honor of a Torah sage who has done a lot of good for Israel and the Sephardic community.

And for many Askenasim as well.

EveryJew- you dont have to follow him and his Psak dinim, you can and should have a Rabbi you respect and have availability to follow (books and can ask questions to). You choose your own Rabbi (obviously someone who isn't deform or anything like that).

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »
Actually correction- Chazal said that they wouldn't include the Sefer (as part of Tannach) if not for the last line.

Tag, I've been on the forum a long long time.  I've seen people come and go here.  And some of them were extremely sensitive when it came to people even disagreeing with the late Rabbi Ovadia Yosef. 

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:47 PM »
בס''ד

I see some people here are saying that support for Oslo was a mere "mistake" that can be forgiven. I disagree. When your actions result in mass murder, that cannot be forgiven because there is no way to bring the dead people back to life in this world. There is no correction for that crime - what we call "kapara" in Judaism. When someone does wrong, the Torah demands not just regret but "kapara" - eliminating the negative consequences of one's actions. For murder, there is no "kapara" in this world.

If HaRav Ovadia had ruled against Oslo, the tragic results might have been prevented. Instead, Shas actively supported the Rabin-Peresite regime of treason. Sacred Jewish land was surrendered to the Nazis of our generation - a chillul Hashem so horrific that I do not believe that there is kapara for this act.

Some are also saying that many Sephardic Jews were brought back to Judaism by HaRav Ovadia and Shas. I strongly disagree. First of all, for every Jew who was brought back, several other Jews were turned off by seeing "rabbis" like Aryeh Deri yimach shmo engaging in extortion, racketeering, bribery and the most heinous forms of public corruption. Deri was placed in charge of Shas by HaRav Ovadia.

Here is a Hebrew video that we did showing Uri Avneri yimach shmo saying that "Deri was even more extreme than I am". Avneri has called for the destruction of the state of Israel and offered to serve as a "human shield" to guard his friend Yasser Arafat. Deri and Avneri worked together for years.

HaRav Ovadia's wife and other family members support the "Geneva initiative" of Yossi Beilin yimach shmo in which Israel goes back to the suicidal pre-1967 borders and then even within those borders allows Arabs to come flooding into the tiny Jewish state. In the following Hebrew video, we have Nadia Matar from "Women in Green" exposing the treason of Harav Ovadia's extreme left-wing wife:

BTW what Uri Avneri says in the first video is that in order to get Sephardim to support Israeli suicide, the extreme left needed a Sephardic Jew like Deri. That is what Shas did to the Sephardim -  they were once overwhelmingly right-wing but many have been convinced by HaRav Ovadia that we can surrender Jewish land. This is the "Judaism" that Shas preaches to the Sephardim - "Judaism"  that believes in national suicide and cowardice.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Rabbi Ovadia Yosefs Psak Din on Torah is accepted my the majority of the Orthodox world. While I certainly understand Chaims position I also understand that virtually the entire Torah Jewish world considers this man a Gadol. It is sad that this kind of division has been created.

http://www.dailyhalacha.com/About.aspx
http://www.dailyhalacha.com/displayRead.asp?readID=770
http://www.learntorah.com/lt-search-result.aspx?speaker=24
http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/Live_Organ_Donations_1.html
http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/14-15%20Applying%20Cosmetics%20on%20Shabbat%20and%20Yom%20Tov%202.htm

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »
I do not hear very many Orthodox Rabbis today praising the mistake of Oslo. Most, even those who may have supported it initially, have realized the error of their reasoning. I don't think many right-wing religious nationalists have been influenced by the position of the Rabbi. I don't know about the Sephardic community, but as far as religious zionists, I doubt they have been swayed.

http://ohr.edu/453

Oslo criminals must be brought to justice!

Thus reads one of the most popular graffiti slogans to be found on walls throughout Israel.

Although this may be viewed as a particularly harsh indictment of the Israeli leaders who made the deal that created the terrorist-ridden Palestine Authority, it is indicative of a trend in public opinion. A recent poll showed that about two-thirds of the populace think that Oslo was a tragic mistake.

Without passing judgment on the architects of the Oslo Accords, who may well have had the best intentions, there is no escape from condemning their misguided thinking that an agreement with terrorists pledged to the destruction of the Jewish state would result in what they so naively termed a New Middle East.

The Middle East today is the same Middle East of yesteryear in so many ways. Today, just as it was when Moshe addressed the Children of Israel three millennia ago, as they stood on the threshold of the land promised to them by Hashem, a tiny Jewish nation is threatened by hostile neighbors. This great leader, as he took leave of the people he led for forty years, provided them with a perspective which would enable them to not only survive all the troubles which would befall them but to actually grow as a result.

http://theyeshiva.net/Article/View/176/Israels-Greatest-Mistake
And third, in probably the greatest political mistake of a modern country, Israel resurrected the PLO in 1993, negotiated the Oslo peace agreements, withdrew from most of the West Bank and much of Gaza, supplied weapons and money to its foes for a police force, and allowed a mighty terror infrastructure to be built in its own back yard. When the first Israeli bus exploded in 1994, and the PLO did nothing to stop it, Israel had the opportunity to liberate itself from the deadly illusion that peace was on the horizon and completely cut down the terror foundations in the West Bank and Gaza. Instead, Israel showed restraint. During the next 10 years, rivers of blood flowed in the Holy Land. Thousands of innocent Jews and Arabs have lost their lives or been maimed forever.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »
Actually correction- Chazal said that they wouldn't include the Sefer (as part of Tannach) if not for the last line.

The men of the Great Assembly proposed including Solomon in the list of men who have no share in the Afterlife and could not be dissuaded by a vision of his father David nor by Heavenly fire, until a Bat Kol warned them off (Sanhedrin 104).

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
Rabbi Ovadia Yosefs Psak Din on Torah is accepted my the majority of the Orthodox world. While I certainly understand Chaims position I also understand that virtually the entire Torah Jewish world considers this man a Gadol. It is sad that this kind of division has been created.

http://www.dailyhalacha.com/About.aspx
http://www.dailyhalacha.com/displayRead.asp?readID=770
http://www.learntorah.com/lt-search-result.aspx?speaker=24
http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/Live_Organ_Donations_1.html
http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/14-15%20Applying%20Cosmetics%20on%20Shabbat%20and%20Yom%20Tov%202.htm

בס''ד

His piskei din are accepted when it comes to issues like how to slaughter chickens. But on the life and death issue of surrendering Jewish land to Arab Muslim Nazis, his positions are most certainly not accepted by the vast majority of rabbis. The vast majority of rabbis were bitterly opposed to his support for the Oslo catastrophe - even his own son and his own grandson (both of whom are rabbis) came out against him on that issue and are against the evil Shas party. Here is HaRav Ovadia's son HaRav Yaakov where he condemns Shas:

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:20 PM »
We also must not forget that that Rav Ovadia Yosef was  a puppet of the evil R'Elazar Shach who maligned both the Luavitcher Rebbe,ZT"L,ZY"A,HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik,ZT"L,ZYA & HaRav Adin Steinsaltz,Shilt"a.
What were some of Shach's accomplishments?
Here are some:
Creating a generation of welfare cases & draft dodgers.
Alienating millions of Jews from Judaism.
Cursing spewing disgusting insults  out at not only plain ordinary Jews but others who were greater  & wiser than him.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2013, 12:24:41 AM »
The death of a tzadik is viewed sometimes as a kapara. Could the death of Rav Ovadiah Yosef be a kapara for the Shas support of Oslo?

Offline Kabili

• New JTFer
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:12 AM »
Like I said Muman613 is the most respectful member on this forum. I'm sure the majority of you are not educated in Torah Judaism nor do you have any clue on who Rav Yosef was as a Chaham.

Offline Kabili

• New JTFer
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
Another thing Rav Shach ZTL is another saddik that ppl on this forum curse. Loshon hara is a terrible sin especially when spoken about the dead

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:18 AM »
Another thing Rav Shach ZTL is another saddik that ppl on this forum curse. Loshon hara is a terrible sin especially when spoken about the dead

Tzadik  :::D
Shach was a piece of crap who insulted the Lubavitcher Rebbe,ZT"L,ZY"A & HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik,ZT"L,ZY"A.
To add insult to injury he did the same to HaRav Adin Steinsaltz,Shlit"a who made gemora accessable to a whole new generation.
The Rav & The Rebbe were respopsible for saving American Jewry & American Orthodoxy in particular from disaapearing & left generations of students who spread  Torah to & mikarev other Jews.
What did Shach do?
He created generations of welfare cases & draft dodgers.
By his wicked tongue & vitriol he drove away millions from Judaism.
Thousands were killed & maimed because of his supporting giving away land to hostile enemies.
The man was pure evil.
Nobody outside of Eretz Yisroel heard of this oisvorf until he started spewing verbal diarrhea against the Rebbe & HaRav Soloveitchik.
That was his claim to fame degrading those greater & far more accomplished than himself.
Why doesn't Shach's vile insults directed against the Rebbe,HaRav Soloveitchik & HaRav Steinsaltz bother you as much as things people here have said against this insignificant flea who so polarized klal Yisroel & degraded those far greater than him?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:10:21 AM by ChabadKahanist »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »
Can we reduce the Lashon Hara please?

Yes, there were major machloket between many of the Jewish sects. The zionist/anti-zionist division is especially troubling. I believe that all Jews envision a time when we will live in peace in Israel, but the difference comes down to whether the modern state of Israel, with all it's secular and wicked leaders and people, is the vision which the prophets foretold.

Most of us here consider ourselves 'Kahanists' which means we support a very strong Israel, within the existing crooked system of government, which eventually will inculcate Jewish values into the next generation of Israelis. By creating a strong Israel we can thus bring more Jews to Eretz Yisrael who till then have been worried about attacks from our enemies, and the wicked government. The Kahanists have the best plan for bringing about the promised redemption.

But we should work within the parameters of Judaism as learned in the holy texts, TaNaK, the Talmud, the sages and commentators of the early years (rishonim) and the mystical works of Jewish faith. As much as I acknowledge disagreement with Rabbi Shach I will refrain from belittling his opinions. As Rabbi Kook, the great national religious figure of the pre-state years, would express that in order for our redemption to occur we must find unity among Jewish brothers and sisters.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2013, 03:15:43 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't ROY also state that Arabs are brothers of the Jews and that their lives should be spared if possible?
He also said yimach shmam on other occasions. He also said that the purpose of gentiles is to be servant of the Jews in the end of days.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2013, 04:07:22 AM »
I have to do some research before i can judge this men.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2013, 05:50:14 AM »

"In Yitzhak Rabin's 1979 book, he called Peres "an unrelenting conniver" and claimed that he had devoted his life to ruining him. In 1990, Rabin watched Peres corrupt the Knesset in what he called, "the stinking deal."   After the tie in the 1984 elections, Peres understood that his Labor Party could not win a national election because the 600,000 strong Moroccan community would never support its policies. But Peres saw a way around the problem. A new party, Shas, which represented Moroccan interests, had won a few seats in the Knesset. If the party could be corrupted and then financed to become a serious electoral force, Labor could win the Morrocan vote through the back door. He keyed in on 23 year old Arieh Deri, the secretary of the party's spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadiah Yosef. Peres sent his cronies Haim Ramon, Yossi Beilin and Moshe Shahal to flatter Deri, draw him into illegal business deals and further his career. Within a year, Deri was appointed Director of the Interior Ministry Office and by the age of 25, Peres arranged that he become the Minister of The Interior.   In 1990, Peres was the Minister Of Finance in a unity government headed by Yitzhak Shamir. As Finance Minister, Peres recorded every agora of thefts Deri was perpetrating in the Interior Ministry and in February 1990, he decided that the moment had arrived to blackmail Shas.   Working with Secretary of State James Baker to bring down Shamir, he devised a plan to become Prime Minister. Baker presented a new peace plan, which included negotiations over Jerusalem. Peres and Baker both knew that Shamir would have to reject the plan. So Peres caused a government crisis by demanding that Israel, "Say yes to Baker." He ordered a non-confidence vote against his own government, knowing that he would win. He had sent his deputy Yossi Beilin to Deri with a full report of his thefts and gave him the choice of facing prison or felling Shamir. Deri chose the latter and led the once Rightist, Orthodox Shas Party to abstain from the vote. Shamir fell and Peres was appointed Prime Minister, though his term only lasted 88 days. The blackmail of Shas, however, never desisted and the current peace process was built on the back of Peres's corruption of this hapless party. "

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »

The Convoluted Legacy of Ovadiya Yosef

by Steven Plaut

All of Israel is in convulsion this week over the death of Rabbi Ovadia Yossef.    His funeral was the largest in the history of the country.   Yossef was indeed a distinguished Torah authority and "Posek."   Unfortunately he was also a politician.   Many of the gushing praises being tossed out about him and his career are ignoring the many negative sides of that career.   Yossef was not only a Rabbinic giant, he was also a vulgar and foolish dabbler in politics who turned "Lashon Hara" or "the evil tongue" into something of his calling card.

An example of the imbalanced praise being heaped upon Yossef is the column by my friend Seth Frantzman in Jerusalem Post, http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/Terra-incognita-The-Rav-and-his-detractors-328184 .   By and large I agree with Seth's thesis, which is that much of the hostility towards Rabbi Ovadia and his SHAS party always came from bigoted Ashkenazi secularist leftists.  Seth documents many such cases of bigotry in a convincing manner and his article is worth reading.   But he too chooses to overlook the negative sides of Ovadia's behavior and personality.   For full disclosure, I should point out that there is even an indirect connection between Ovadia's career and my own family.  My wife's grandfather was a leading Rabbi in Egypt.  When he made aliyah in 1947 (by train!!)  to Haifa he was replaced by the young Ovadia Yossef, whose rabbinic career developed for a while in Egypt.  (Many web sites are attributing the Ovadia the rabbinic ruling that a Jew may marry a Karaite without the Karaite converting, but in fact this was a ruling by my wife's grandfather, Rabbi Nissim Ohana.)   

On halakhic questions, most of Ovadia's rulings were intelligent and sensitive.   He was the authority who ruled that Ethiopian Jews are bona fide Jews.  He issued rulings making it easier for wives of MIA soldiers to remarry.  He issued rulings that allowed farm owners to evade the economic damages of "Shmita" years.  He ruled that brain death is death and so it was not necessary to keep a brain dead body alive.  He opposed wearing of wigs and hair shaving by religious women.   A Palestinian terrorist group attempted to assassinate the Rabbi  in 2005.

Ovadia was born in Iraq and his family moved to Israel when he was quite young.  He was ordained a rabbi at age of 20.   He was obviously extremely bright and possessed enormous analytic power.   He served as Chief Sephardic Rabbi of Israel beginning in 1973.  On matters of rabbinic discourse or halakha, his rulings tended in most cases to be tolerant and moderate.   In general, Sephardic religious tradition has long been calmer, gentler, less extreme, and more moderate than that of Orthodox Ashkenazim, and Sephardim are renowned for their sensibility.   Traditionally it would be rare to find Sephardic Jews who eat pork or openly violate Yom Kippur restrictions, and at the same time it would be unusual for Sephardim to choose to spend their entire lives as yeshiva students living off the dole paid by others who work, or to behave rudely towards people who attend soccer matches on the Sabbath.   

Much of the traditional sensibility of Sephardim came under attack by the politicized religious institutions erected by Rabbi Ovadia, and in particular by the SHAS party.  Originally set up by Yossef and others as a "revolt" against the Chareidi Ultra-Orthodox parties and their attitudes towards Sephardim, SHAS itself developed into its own manifestation of politicized religion, in many ways as bad as the Ashkenazi Chareidi parties.  SHAS was first and foremost a party for extortion of funding and favors from the secularist-dominated governments of Israel.   While parasitic non-working yeshiva study had always been absent from the Sephardic religious world, SHAS embraced the idea and expanded it with a vengeance.   Like the Ashkenazi chareidim, the "flour" from the famous religious mantra of "flour with Torah" was ejected, replaced by welfare distributions at taxpayer expense, enraging and alienating the secular Israeli.   SHAS yeshiva students adopted the black chareidi clothing of the Ashkenazim, a manner of dress with no basis in Sephardic tradition.  As the party morphed into a mechanism for extraction of "rents" from the taxpayer, its involvement in dubious financial affairs increased.   The SHAS underboss Aryeh Deri may have been unfairly targeted for prosecution by an Attorney General with an axe to pick against SHAS, but Deri was hardly an epitome of purity, hardly a Tallis that is entirely azure (tachelet).  Deri and Yossef collaborated with Shimon Peres in the now infamous 1991 "stinky trick" attempt to topple the national unity government in which Peres sat  (for details, see this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dirty_trick_(Israel) ).

Even worse was the cynicism with which SHAS dealt with the national challenges and political issues Israel faces.  SHAS was willing to oppose Oslo appeasement or to endorse it, depending on whether doing so would serve its transient appetite for public funding.  An old joke held it that SHAS would vote for turning the Golan Heights over to Syria if it earned SHAS some funding, just as long as the withdrawal would not take place on the Sabbath.  While Rabbi Ovadia's own brothers served in the Irgun or Etsel before Israel's independence, he and SHAS joined the chareidi campaign to grant wholesale exemption from the military service of all yeshiva students.  Yossef attacked vulgarly any politician, even religious ones, who supported recruiting yeshiva students into military service.  In his last weeks of life, Yossef's vulgar and ad hominem defamations of Naftali Bennett because of the latter's proposals to draft yeshiva students will haunt Yossef into his grave.   While shifting its position back and forth, SHAS by and large aligned itself with the Left and endorsed Oslo appeasements.  To its credit, it opposed the Gaza "disengagement."  The ugly squabbling of the SHAS party hacks and their positioning for power even as the Rabbi's body was being borne to the grave illustrates SHAS values wonderfully (see http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/yishais-men-accuse-deri-of-overtaking-shas-with-force-and-cynicism/2013/10/09/ ).

Yossef had a foul tongue and thoughtlessly defamed anyone whose opinions were not to his liking in often-obscene and disgusting rhetoric.   He would dismiss those he disliked as "men who have sex with menstruating women."  As such, he was a disgrace and was committing sacrilege.  He played into the hands of the anti-religious secularists who could paint him as a foul-mouthed buffoon sitting at the pinnacle of Rabbinic authority.  He also tossed out silly comments, such as his claim that Hurricane Katrina was a Divine retribution for insufficient study of Torah.   He was misogynist as the day is long.   At times, his acid tongue was at least focused in the correct direction, such as some comments he made about MERETZ or the "Reform" synagogue movement.

The SHAS party is his legacy of demagoguery and cynicism.

Offline Kabili

• New JTFer
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »
Btw the greatest Ashkenazi American Rav was rabbi Moshe Feinstein ZTL

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
Judaism is so complex for me and full of words I dont understand...but Chaim used word Kapara-in Serbian language it means Down Payment...person would say "Dao sam Kaparu"......also English word sin is written and pronaunced the same but means SON in Serbian 8)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:08:08 AM by serbian army »
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
We also must not forget that that Rav Ovadia Yosef was  a puppet of the evil R'Elazar Shach who maligned both the Luavitcher Rebbe,ZT"L,ZY"A,HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik,ZT"L,ZYA & HaRav Adin Steinsaltz,Shilt"a.
What were some of Shach's accomplishments?
Here are some:
Creating a generation of welfare cases & draft dodgers.
Alienating millions of Jews from Judaism.
Cursing spewing disgusting insults  out at not only plain ordinary Jews but others who were greater  & wiser than him.

Calling Rav Shach "evil" is insane, no matter how many things he said that you didn't like.  (And I also did not like many things he said).    Don't dishonor the Torah.