Author Topic: Is Woody Allen making Teshuva?  (Read 382 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Is Woody Allen making Teshuva?
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
I have noticed a story in the news the last few days...

Apparently Woody Allen was interviewed and asked about Israel. He said that anti-Israelism is a form of anti-Semitism... I have not read the full story yet, but will provide a link and excerpt below...

http://www.timesofisrael.com/allen-on-israel-critics-who-just-dont-like-jews/

The scoop on Woody Allen? He doesn’t think it’s tough to be Jewish in America, but he does believe “many people” disguise their dislike of Jews by criticizing Israel.

Allen, 77, was interviewed in France by Israel’s Channel 2 Monday ahead of the release in parts of Europe of his latest movie, “Blue Jasmine,” a comedy-drama starring Cate Blanchett that’s been well-received since its summer opening in the US.

Asked whether it’s harder these days to be a Jew in the US, Allen responded with an immediate, “No, I don’t think so.” He added wryly that “by the low standards of tolerance for Jews all over the world, America’s been a very tolerant country.”

He went on to say, however, that “I do feel there are many people that disguise their negative feelings toward Jews, disguise it as anti-Israel criticism, political criticism, when in fact what they really mean is that they don’t like Jews.”

In a Yedioth Ahronoth interview last year, translated and highlighted by the Forward’s JJ Goldberg, Allen talked in some depth about his Judaism: “I grew up in a Jewish atmosphere and they made me a bar mitzvah, so clearly it’s an element that will remain in my life permanently… But I don’t believe in organized religions. Most of them exploit people, and I think these clubs have nothing to do with God. Today I feel Jewish mainly when people attack me because of my being Jewish.”

If this is a sign that Allen is 'returning' to his Jewish roots then this affirms something my Rabbi said over the High Holidays... I sure hope this is a positive sign... I don't really know what he means about 'organized religion' when it comes to Judaism... There is really no organization in Judaism today...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Is Woody Allen making Teshuva?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:13:02 AM »
Um no this isn't tshuva. It would be the start of it if he at least aknowledged that his wimpiness is one of the causes of jewish lack of pride.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein