Author Topic: Is "Rabbi" Shmuley Boteach a sellout?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
Is "Rabbi" Shmuley Boteach a sellout?
« on: October 29, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »
Hi,
Some of you may remember me from a few months back. I posted a thread regarding conversion and whether or not I was suitable for me, given that adhering to the 613 Mitzvot is a very difficult task, even though it ultimately provides spiritual fulfillment through serving G-D. As of now I'm still undecided, on the one hand unraveling the tenets and core principles of Judaism further does provide me with a sense of belonging and at one with G-D. However, the thought of not living up to these expectations frightens me, and so for the time being I'm trying to be a B'nei Noah. There is already quite a large inventory of books relating to Judaism in my house, from my sister's studies, and have come across some interesting books like "The Jewish Book of Why", and "The Guide for the Perplexed", which I have yet to read. One author that I've been hearing about is the aforementioned Boatech, and I was already aware of the controversy surrounding him.

I just finished reading his latest book "The Modern Guide to Judaism", and throughout it his own stance appears to be pretty contradictory, or at the very least flimsy. The overall impression I got from him was that it didn't really matter what you believed, so long as you acted upon them with "absolute sincerity", which in of itself is somewhat impossible. Part of his book, particularly the chapters relating to The Jewish People seem a bit dubious, he makes it clear that Judaism is not a race but a grouping of peoples , but then makes frequent allusions to a closed form which even rejects sincere converts, because it would essentially be detrimental to its perpetutation. And yet he has supposedly converted the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson.He does make good points to be fair, when he talks about how the only way to bring about the Messiah is through comforting someone in need, so as to bring about a sense of inspiration to try hard again and make the world more moral, rather than allowing others to do things for us, so that we never learn. And likewise with suffering he asserts that it isn't necessarily the right way of bringing out personal development.
What I found most disgusting about his book was his claim that Shoah be largely forgotten from the Jewish consciousness so as to allow a greater "spiritual renaissance", and that Jews are making a fuss out of threats to Israel and antisemitism in the West. I live in London, and have heard and seen antisemitism, mainly by Muslims, so no surprise there.

I feel by writing this book he's trying to appease the Reform movement by promoting a liberal reading of Judaism, which he projects as a " earthward orientation.. uniquely suited to men and women who desire professional success without starving their souls", which sounds to me like a gimmick. He's also trying to make the Orthodox movement experience significant changes which will according to him" bring new change." I don't know if it's just me but it appears he's trying to make Judaism into a political ideology, with only a few religious characteristics.

Apologies if I seem a tad rambly, but I'd be interested to read other people's views of him.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Is "Rabbi" Shmuley Boteach a sellout?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
Welcome back Rafeli18. 

Regarding the 613 mitzvot, not all of them apply currently as the Beit Hamigdash (the Jewish Temple) has not been rebuilt.  So don't let that number intimidate you. 

As for Rabbi Boteach, I'm inclined to agree that he is a sellout. 

I once heard him speak in Manhattan at Makor, which is a branch of the 92nd Street Y.  He started by doing an interview with Roseanne Arnold, and boy was he fawning all over her.  I mean, he seems bright and all, but he struck me as a celebrity groupie wannabe. 

Also, I found the title of this book "Kosher Adultery" very offensive. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »
And one more thing. 

Rabbi Boteach was quite chummy with Michael Jackson.  Chaim said on one of the ask JTF shows that Boteach defended Jackson against accusations of pedophilia and anti-semitism. 

Boteach also wrote a column last year defending Obama appointee Samantha Power against accusations of anti-semitism, when she said on an interview that America should use its military to protect the fakestinians against the EEEVIL Israeli JOOOS. 

Another thing I just remembered.

A couple of years ago, I was listening to an early morning radio show where this rabbi was being interviewed.  Boteach went on about how he doesn't wear his wedding band, and that he thinks it's silly.  (I'm paraphrasing.)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
Yes.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
Welcome back Rafeli18. 

Regarding the 613 mitzvot, not all of them apply currently as the Beit Hamigdash (the Jewish Temple) has not been rebuilt.  So don't let that number intimidate you. 

As for Rabbi Boteach, I'm inclined to agree that he is a sellout. 

I once heard him speak in Manhattan at Makor, which is a branch of the 92nd Street Y.  He started by doing an interview with Roseanne Arnold, and boy was he fawning all over her.  I mean, he seems bright and all, but he struck me as a celebrity groupie wannabe. 

Also, I found the title of this book "Kosher Adultery" very offensive.
Thanks, I still need to further my knowledge of the Mitzvots, but I am admittedly inclined towards them.
I personally feel he's trying to create a niche within Judaism, and use it to primarily to earn revenue. There is some sincerity in his motives I don't doubt that, but he just seems a little willing to fit in with the who's who of America.And to be honest he tends to be sycophantic towards Muslims,by honoring their help towards the Jewish community, whilst failing to mention the Mufti of Jerusalem. Example:

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
Thanks, I still need to further my knowledge of the Mitzvots, but I am admittedly inclined towards them.
I personally feel he's trying to create a niche within Judaism, and use it to primarily to earn revenue. There is some sincerity in his motives I don't doubt that, but he just seems a little willing to fit in with the who's who of America.And to be honest he tends to be sycophantic towards Muslims,by honoring their help towards the Jewish community, whilst failing to mention the Mufti of Jerusalem. Example:

In the early times before the full blown inquisition in Spain, Rambam said that nobody has treated us worse than the muslims. We had to marry our daughters off at 7 in Morocco, or they were guaranteed to be kidnapped and placed into a lifetime of sexual slavery. He spits on the graves of millions by this.

I said Yes. Don't waste a second of your time on this so-called "rabbi".

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »
Didn't Maimonides flee to Egypt to avoid Islamo fascism?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
Didn't Maimonides flee to Egypt to avoid Islamo fascism?

No it was to avoid the Spanish. He was lucky to be in the palace though, because he was a genius. What he writes about Jews that did get such a position shows he was extremely lucky.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »
Shalom,

Recently I was very concerned about Boteach... His book 'Kosher Jesus' has led to some conservative sites to suggest that it is ok for Jews to believe in the 'christian messiah'.

I spoke with my Chabad Rabbi who gave me a lot of information on this guy. He used to be an official Chabad rabbi, but after 'Kosher Sex' they decided to 'kick him out' of Chabad.

It is a heresy, IMO, to publish a book which makes 'Jesus' kosher to Jews.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 04:41:26 AM »
Boteach has intelect, knowledge and charisma -- and yet he is a sellout. It seems to me that you can read critically and sieve much of his lies out but still I don't think he is a good and reliable source to learn from about Judaism.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »
No it was to avoid the Spanish. He was lucky to be in the palace though, because he was a genius. What he writes about Jews that did get such a position shows he was extremely lucky.
Maimonidas fled from Moorish Spain because it had taken over by fanatical muslims, Al-Muwahhidun, who came from western north Africa.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Maimonidas fled from Moorish Spain because it had taken over by fanatical muslims, Al-Muwahhidun, who came from western north Africa.

Oh. I'm more of a fledgling scholar. Thanks Zelhar.