Author Topic: Suicide And Judaism Compared To Christianity  (Read 3624 times)

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
Re: Suicide And Judaism Compared To Christianity
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
Wasn't Hell or Gehenna a place outside of Jerusalem where they burned garbage???
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
Wasn't Hell or Gehenna a place outside of Jerusalem where they burned garbage???

Yes, I think that is correct... I cannot find a reference to this though...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
AsheDinah,

Just found something you may be interested in (since you have the 'Shema Yisrael' in your signature)...

According to the Sefer Mishnah Brurah, a person who says the Shema with clear pronunciation will have the fire of Gehinnom cooled for them. This is based on a page of Talmud...

http://www.torah.org/advanced/mishna-berura/S62.html

62:1. Even though it is a Mitzvah to be particular about the pronounciation of each letter [of the Shema], one who read it (1) and was not particular (2) has fulfilled his obligation.

MB 1: and was not particular - [This is not talking about] a case where he did not pronounce the words and letters, because that is certainly insufficient to fulfill his Mitzvah; but the case is one where [for example] he was not particular enough in ensuring that there was a space between linked words [ie. words like "Bechol Levovechah" where the final letter of one and the beginning letter of the other are the same and if one is not careful they will sound like one word "Becholevovechah" --SP] or he did not emphasize the letter Zayin of "Tizkeru" and other such cases as is mentioned above in Siman 61 (Bach and Eliyahu Rabbah in the name of the Chinuch, and so is proven from Rashi there in Mishnah B'rochos page 15 and from the Gemorrah there on page 15b - see there).

MB 2: has fulfilled - Nevertheless, before reading one should be very particular about this. The Talmud says that one who is particular about the words of the Shema is rewarded by having Gehinnom [Hell] cooled down for him - and this is "Measure for Measure" (*) since he holds back his own internal heat [the desire to rush - as in, "boiling with impatience"] in order to be particular about pronouncing each letter correctly, and thus raises his temperature. Through the merit of his having caused this rise in his body temperature, they cool down a temperature elsewhere for him, namely in Gehinnom (Beis Yosef). [(*) "Midah KeNeged Midah", a principal whereby Hashem rewards or punishes us in the same manner and measure as we fulfill Mitzvos or, Heaven forbid, perform Aveiros (sins) --SP]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Every Jew,

Do you have family or friends near you that you can talk to?  If not, I also advise you to get some counseling.

Now I don't know you at all.  But you seem like a good person.  Your posts are always very intelligent and interesting.  And I'm always happy to see you post here.  So please don't think it's all hopeless. 

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 11:03:46 AM »
AsheDinah,

Just found something you may be interested in (since you have the 'Shema Yisrael' in your signature)...

According to the Sefer Mishnah Brurah, a person who says the Shema with clear pronunciation will have the fire of Gehinnom cooled for them. This is based on a page of Talmud...

http://www.torah.org/advanced/mishna-berura/S62.html

Interesting, thanks
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »
Gehenna, or the Valley of Hinnom ("ge" is an old Hebrew word for "valley"), was the place where traitor Jewish idolaters emulated the Canaanite custom of burning their children in the fire as a sacrifice to Molech.  Jeremiah prophesied the destruction of Israel from this site.   

Jeremiah 32:35 They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters to Molek, though I never commanded—nor did it enter my mind—that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.

Also see Jeremiah 19.

There is punishment for sins (like suicide) after death, but going to Gehenna is not it.

Thats what I thought.
Catholics believe we will burn forever in eternity if we hate G'd.

But, in Ecclesiastes, it is written:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt3109.htm

5 For the living know that they shall die; but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »
  Ashdie- the "dead" is talking about Reshaim, the "alive" tzaddikim. Its explained in the Talmudh in Berachot what these verses mean exactly. And this is brought up and explained.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
AsheDinah,

its in Berachot page 15 B (Very end of that page)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:19:59 PM by Tag-MehirTzedek »
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.