Author Topic: Harvard Study: Fluoride Lowers Children’s Intelligence By 7 IQ Points  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/02/harvard-study-published-national-institute-health-journal-finds-fluoride-lowers-childrens-intelligence-7-iq-points.html

Government and Top University Studies: Fluoride Lowers IQ and Causes Other Health Problems

The Harvard School for Public Health reports:

In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children. Based on the findings, the authors say that this risk should not be ignored, and that more research on fluoride’s impact on the developing brain is warranted.

The study [click for abstract] was published online in Environmental Health Perspectives on July 20, 2012.

Environmental Health Perspectives is a publication of the United States National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

Harvard’s announcement continues:

The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.   Some studies suggested that even slightly increased fluoride exposure could be toxic to the brain. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. The children studied were up to 14 years of age, but the investigators speculate that any toxic effect on brain development may have happened earlier, and that the brain may not be fully capable of compensating for the toxicity.“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says. “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”

Indeed, the following video interviewing National Research Council scientists, a Nobel laureate in medicine, a professor of dentistry and other professionals summarizes the evidence fairly succinctly … and makes the case that our understanding of the damage fluoride can cause to our brains is like our growing understanding in the 1970s of the dangers of lead:

Numerous other government reports have shown fluoride’s adverse impacts on intelligence:

[A] 2006 National Academy of Science [report ] reviews the scientific studies which have been performed on fluoride, and concludes:

It is apparent that fluorides have the ability to interfere with the functions of the brain and the body by direct and indirect means. (bottom of page 222).

The NAS report also notes that fluoride may actually impair intelligence, and that more testing should be done in this regard.

Indeed, studies from around the world continue to find that exposure to sodium fluoride – especially in the very young – lowers IQ. See this and this. The same is true for rats exposed to fluoride. See this and this. And see the studies listed here.

Dr. Vyvyan Howard – a PhD fetal pathologist, who is a professor of developmental toxico-pathology at the University of Liverpool and University of Ulster, president of the International Society of Doctors for the Environment and former president of the Royal Microscopical Society and the International Society for Stereology, and general editor of the Journal of Microscopy – said in a 2008 Canadian television interview (short, worthwhile video at the link) that studies done in several countries show that children’s IQ are likely to be lower in high natural water fluoride areas.

He said that these studies are plausible because fluoride is known to affect the thyroid hormone which affects intelligence and fluoride is also a known neurotoxicant. Such studies have not been conducted in countries that artificially fluoridate the water such as the US, UK and Canada, but should be, he said.

And as the International Business Times noted last month on the newest Chinese study on fluoride:

Exposure to fluoride may lower children’s intelligence, says a study published in Environmental Health Perspectives, a publication of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Fluoride is added to 70 percent of U.S. public drinking water supplies.

About 28 percent of the children in the low-fluoride area scored as bright, normal or higher intelligence compared to only 8 percent in the “high” fluoride area of Wamaio.

In the high-fluoride city, 15 percent had scores indicating mental retardation and only 6 percent in the low-fluoride city. The authors of the study eliminated both lead exposure and iodine deficiency as possible causes for the lowered IQs.

One scientist – Jennifer Luke – alleged in a 2001 scientific article that fluoride accumulates in the brain (specifically, in the structure of the pineal gland) more than it accumulates in our bones. In other words, she implies that fluoride may accumulate more in the brain than in the teeth, doing more harm than good (here’s Luke’s 1997 PhD dissertation on the topic.)

The 2006 National Academy of Sciences report corroborates some of Luke’s allegations:

As with other calcifying tissues, the pineal gland can accumulate fluoride (Luke 1997, 2001). Fluoride has been shown to be present in the pineal glands of older people (14-875 mg of fluoride per kg of gland in persons aged 72-100 years), with the fluoride concentrations being positively related to the calcium concentrations in the pineal gland, but not to the bone fluoride, suggesting that pineal fluoride is not necessarily a function of cumulative fluoride exposure of the individual (Luke 1997, 2001). Fluoride has not been measured in the pineal glands of children or young adults, nor has there been any investigation of the relationship between pineal fluoride concentrations and either recent or cumulative fluoride intakes.

Donald Miller – cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington – alleges:

Fluoride … inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase in the brain, which is involved in transmitting signals along nerve cells.

Fluoride also damages the brain, both directly and indirectly. Rats given fluoridated water at a dose of 4 ppm develop symptoms resembling attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder. High concentrations of fluoride accumulate in the pineal gland, which produces serotonin and melatonin.

People with Alzheimer’s disease have high levels of aluminum in their brains. Fluoride combines with aluminum in drinking water and takes it through the blood-brain barrier into the brain. Dr. Russell Blaylock, MD, a neurosurgeon, spells out in chilling detail the danger fluoride poses to one’s brain and health in general in his book Health and Nutrition Secrets that can Save Your Life (2002).

Time Magazine notes:

What has also changed is how much toxicologists know about the harmful effects of fluoride compounds. Ingested in high doses, fluoride is indisputably toxic; it was once commonly used in rat poison. Hydrogen fluoride is regulated as a hazardous pollutant in emissions from chemical plants and has been linked to respiratory illness. Even in toothpaste, sodium fluoride is a health concern. In 1997 the Food and Drug Administration toughened the warning on every tube to read, “If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a poison-control center right away.”

ABC News from Raleigh-Durham reports:

Study after study dating back to the 80s from respected academic and scientific institutions that connect fluoride to health dangers. Some of the studies were funded by the government. They  suggest fluoride can be linked to brain, blood and bone deficiencies in humans.

“EPA’s drinking water standards are supposed to protect all persons against anticipated adverse health effects of the contaminant in question,” explained Kathleen Thiessen – one of the scientists who worked on the 400-page study. “And we concluded after three years worth of work that the drinking water standard for fluoride was not protected and cannot be assumed to be safe for humans.”

Thiessen  said the EPA was warned about potential fluoride health dangers by one of its own chemists more than a decade ago. Dr. William Hirzy testified before a Senate subcommittee in 2000.  He was representing the views of EPA scientists and staff who analyze hazards in the environment.

“In 1997, we voted to oppose fluoridation, and our opposition has grown stronger as more adverse data on the practice has come in,” said Hirzy.

“The CDC and others say whatever beneficial effect there is from fluoride is from topical use. It’s not from swallowing it. It never has been from swallowing it,” said Thiessen.

The I-Team discovered most western countries do not fluoridate their water. Dental records kept by the World Health Organization show tooth decay in those countries has declined at the same rate as here in the United States – where we do fluoridate our water.

Indeed, an overwhelming number of scientific studies conclude that cavity levels are falling worldwide … even in countries which don’t fluoridate water.  Specifically, the scientific literature shows that – when fluoridation of water supplies is stopped – cavities do not increase (but may in some cases actually decrease).  See this, this, this, this, this and this.

World Health Organization Data (2004) -
Tooth Decay Trends (12 year olds) in Fluoridated vs. Unfluoridated Countries:

No wonder more and more countries are stopping fluoridation.

In fact, many prominent leaders of the pro-water fluoridation movement have recently admitted publicly that they were wrong. That includes:

John Colquhoun, DDS, Principal Dental Officer for Auckland, New Zealand and chair of that country’s Fluoridation Promotion Committee, reviewed New Zealand’s dental statistics in an effort to convince skeptics that fluoridation was beneficial and found that tooth decay rates were the same in fluoridated and nonfluoridated places, which prompted him to re-examine the classic fluoridation studies. He withdrew his support for it in “Why I Changed my Mind About Water Fluoridation” (Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 1997;41:29—44).

Richard G. Foulkes, MD, a health care administrator and former assistant professor in the Department of Health Care and Epidemiology at the University of British Columbia also switched from pro to anti-water fluoridation after studying the issue.

And Dr. Hardy Limeback PhD, DDS – one of the 12 scientists who served on the 2006 National Academy of Sciences review of fluoride, and Head of Preventive Dentistry at University of Toronto – wrote “Why I am Now Officially Opposed to Adding Fluoride to Drinking Water”

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Harvard Study: Fluoride Lowers Children’s Intelligence By 7 IQ Points
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »
I use Tom's of Maine fluoride free toothpaste because I can get it in the health food section of my grocery store. Whole foods is supposed to have a toothpaste that has some kind of chemical derived from chocolate that's supposed to be a safe replacement for fluoride but I don't know too much about that.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
This study is misleading.  It's like the Amalgam scare with dental fillings.  No they do not cause cancer...nor does Fluoride cause brain damage if taken as trace amounts.

Believe me when I tell you, massive dental decay tooth pain can disrupt learning too.

Don't worry, use your fluoride toothpaste. Don't ingest it.  If you have little kids, small amounts as a supplement is beneficial.  As a little kid I had a little extra fluoride and here I am a healthcare professional. 
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
Liar! You're just trying to get us to use toothpaste, so we get brain damage. Then you can fix our brains and get rich!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
Even if the study is right Dr. Dan it doesn't mean it would necessarily have made someone stupid. If you had an IQ of 120 for example then lowering your IQ by 7 points would still leave you with a very high IQ of 113. I think if this is a problem it may affect people more strongly that have a lower innate IQ. For example the difference between an IQ of 80 and an IQ of 73 is more significant.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Isn't there fluoride in our tap water?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
You can get your own sodium fluoride powder. Just be careful not to commit suicide.
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/sodium-fluoride-powder.html
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
Even if the study is right Dr. Dan it doesn't mean it would necessarily have made someone stupid. If you had an IQ of 120 for example then lowering your IQ by 7 points would still leave you with a very high IQ of 113. I think if this is a problem it may affect people more strongly that have a lower innate IQ. For example the difference between an IQ of 80 and an IQ of 73 is more significant.

in small infants?
I don't see how that can effect grown adults.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
Small infants without teeth or when they are beginning to sprout their teeth do not need fluoride.  And small infants of younger than a year usually only drink milk or formula. So the tiny trace amounts in the tap water (if used) does nothing to the brain. And infants 10 months and older who take fluoride drops is so negligable that brain damage is impossible. In fact, brain damage is more likely to happy by watching too much TV at a young age.

This study smells like poop.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »

I think the whole Fluoride thing being picked up by Nazi Conspiracy Theorists and Occultists already makes claims of Fluoride sketchy to me.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
Yes Kyle

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
Isn't there fluoride in our tap water?

People get fluoride through tap water, food, tea, etc. I think you can only control for it so much. I don't use fluoride toothpaste or get fluoride treatments at the dentist but there's really only so much you can do, and below certain levels it is probably safe. So I think people should just do what they can do reasonably and not worry too much about the rest.

in small infants?
I don't see how that can effect grown adults.

Infant brains are still developing so I would imagine any toxin might hurt them more but I'm not a medical expert either.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »

There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:44 AM »
The science says "no discernible difference... at .1ppm" which sounds like something out of codex. This is in humans, of course, because .1ppm causes bone decay in cattle. I have a bottle of water here with .5ppm, which does cause a discernible difference, and I use it for wasting on anything.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »
Liar! You're just trying to get us to use toothpaste, so we get brain damage. Then you can fix our brains and get rich!

Thats it!!! You sure figured him out quickly!!!! JOKING.... :::D  :laugh:

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
Thats it!!! You sure figured him out quickly!!!! JOKING.... :::D  :laugh:
:::D

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
If anyone is worried about fluoride, use topical (such as in tooth paste) and don't swallow it.... sure some will absorb into your bloodstream but at extremely low levels. Rampant tooth decay, infection, periodontal disease, etc. can cause far worse problems than a 7pt. decrease in IQ.... and far more quickly.

Glancing over the story I saw they were giving mice 4ppm (ingesting, not topical application), recommended human dosage is about 0.5 ppm or less.

I don't think many practitioners give fluoride to ingest, only in certain instances.

If you doubt the benefits.... look at someone who has received radiation treatment for oral / head / neck / etc. cancer, their mouth will often look like meth mouth about a year afterwards.  Take another patient in a similar situation, before therapy place them on a concentrated fluoride daily rinse and they will have little if any problems with their mouth.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
I have a thought worth looking into..... how many oBumma voters ingested fluoride in the inner city ghettos? What were the concentrations? 400 billion ppm? Is it possible to lower the IQ by such a margin as to end up with a negative number?  :::D

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »
If anyone is worried about fluoride, use topical (such as in tooth paste) and don't swallow it.... sure some will absorb into your bloodstream but at extremely low levels. Rampant tooth decay, infection, periodontal disease, etc. can cause far worse problems than a 7pt. decrease in IQ.... and far more quickly.

Glancing over the story I saw they were giving mice 4ppm (ingesting, not topical application), recommended human dosage is about 0.5 ppm or less.

I don't think many practitioners give fluoride to ingest, only in certain instances.

If you doubt the benefits.... look at someone who has received radiation treatment for oral / head / neck / etc. cancer, their mouth will often look like meth mouth about a year afterwards.  Take another patient in a similar situation, before therapy place them on a concentrated fluoride daily rinse and they will have little if any problems with their mouth.

Fluorosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fluorosis) is caused by too much fluoride. At low levels, it only kills a bit of your enamel, so as long as you do it twice a day, you won't notice that they are weak. Best to brush your teeth daily using other things. There's a special one I get for 20-25$ with no fluoride or SLS, which you can eat, and helps a lot.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
I don't think that people are worried about fluoride toothpaste as much as the governments adding fluoride to the water supply. I seldom drink the water from the faucet, and we filter the water (which I am not sure affects the fluoride content)...

I would not recommend drinking the cities water though...

I am personally against the government putting anything in our water (except of course H2O). By what authority do they do this? Why is this case exceptional (that the supposed benefits of adding it outweigh the losses)? I don't think that they should be involved in such issues.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
I don't think that people are worried about fluoride toothpaste as much as the governments adding fluoride to the water supply. I seldom drink the water from the faucet, and we filter the water (which I am not sure affects the fluoride content)...

I would not recommend drinking the cities water though...

I am personally against the government putting anything in our water (except of course H2O). By what authority do they do this? Why is this case exceptional (that the supposed benefits of adding it outweigh the losses)? I don't think that they should be involved in such issues.

If it's Brita, it won't take anything out. That's of course the "#1 recommended by a paid-off dentist" water filter. You should go for something 90-150$, with removable filters that also handle heavy metals.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »

That's good information to know. If someone's going to be undergoing chemotherapy the toxicity of the chemotherapy would be much worse than the fluoride anyway and it would be good if they can save their teeth.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:31 AM »
I don't think that people are worried about fluoride toothpaste as much as the governments adding fluoride to the water supply.

Muman get's it.
I've read that the fluoride added to the water supply is a waste product from the metal industry which is sold for profit and that the government decided to do so because it would "benefit peoples teeth".
Would anyone trust the government to be concerned about your health?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »
I drank NYC water for years & it had absolutely no effect on me.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
Muman get's it.
I've read that the fluoride added to the water supply is a waste product from the metal industry which is sold for profit and that the government decided to do so because it would "benefit peoples teeth".
Would anyone trust the government to be concerned about your health?

All due respect I disagree with you.  This is from someone who had fluoride as a kid as a chewable vitamin and drinking water.  Only two tiny cavities my whole life.

But that's fine, more people will lose their teeth and I can make some money to help JTF.