Author Topic: Are there parts of a Kosher animal that aren't Kosher?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
Are there parts of a Kosher animal that aren't Kosher?
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »
I know that chelev and the sciatic nerve are not kosher but what about say eyeballs, heart or testicles? I tried looking but couldn't find the answer. This isn't something I want to do just a random thought I had.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Are there parts of a Kosher animal that aren't Kosher?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
I know that chelev and the sciatic nerve are not kosher but what about say eyeballs, heart or testicles? I tried looking but couldn't find the answer. This isn't something I want to do just a random thought I had.

I am not an expert, but I will make an educated guess.

If the Torah did not expressly forbid it, and there is no allusion to it, then it should be permitted.

I cannot find any prohibition from eating those parts (aside from the sciatic nerve, etc) so if you want to, it should be permitted. But there are parts of animals which we normally do not eat.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Are there parts of a Kosher animal that aren't Kosher?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »
I think their is a question and debate about the part of the animal (cow) where the milk is. Technically it is Kosher though, just needs to be washed out for the milk.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.