Author Topic: Windows XP farewell  (Read 1024 times)

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
Windows XP farewell
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
www.neowin.net/news/a-very-brief-history-of-windows-xp

12 years. This is my favorite windows OS followed closely by Win7. The great times when I used to skin the entire desktop with windowblinds and logon studio.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Windows XP farewell
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
Windows XP was the best OS Microsoft developed up to that time....

It was the first to be based on 'NT Technology' which was 1000x better than any OS based on Windows 3.1 technology (as were Windows 95, Windows 98).... There was the short lived Windows 2000 which used the NT kernel, but it was never commercially viable.

I am a Windows 'hater' and avoid Windows like the plague. I am a proud Linux Evangelist but I have to support Windows platform with my applications. So I do run Windows 7 in order to build my project for that platform. Until recently I used to make sure the app ran on Windows XP but now that it is expired, I will no longer support Win XP...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »
Well said. I'm going to make a bootable xp custom edition on usb drive and install it on virtualbox for old times.
PC gaming was also at its peak when it came to first person shooters. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3.
these titles are the cream of the crop and I'm waiting for the upcoming Wolfenstein the new order releasing next month.

New trailer

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
I admit to being naïve, but would someone please explain to me why Windows is bad?  I've used Macs and don't see any advantage.  Is it me or what?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 02:15:47 AM »
I admit to being naïve, but would someone please explain to me why Windows is bad?  I've used Macs and don't see any advantage.  Is it me or what?

The old Blue Screen of Death was enough to ween many off of Windows...

Windows is bad because of Microsoft, a company which is more concerned with making money than taking care of the operating system. So many bugs have been ignored by MS and hackers love it because of the fact that MS is slow to fix things.

My company currently works with Microsoft, so I should not be so hard on them (we make the chip they use in their mediaroom servers)... But I am so glad I am not the one who has to work with them. Many years ago I interviewed at MS and while they tried to impress me (and they did a good job), in the end I decided I would not want to work for them. I am against any 'mega-company' or monopoly company.... Microsoft had the idea that it could force users to use it's OS and there were no options. Without competition there is no innovation... The Mac project caused MS to have to enter the GUI market (and Apple sued them)... Linux is the only real option because as a Software Engineer I can get the source-code to the OS and make any changes, to any Open Source software (which provides the code), and thus it is much easier to repair bugs.

I believe the latest Apple OS is based on Linux... So Linux has even had an impact on the corporations.

Microsoft used to mock Linux, now it has to deal with it.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:35:43 AM »
I still use vindoze xp from time to time.
I use vindoze 7 as one of my desktops.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I heard for a while that Windows XP would be discontinued.  I guess it's now offical.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
I love Linux too. 

I had Windows XP on my computer, and decided to ditch it in favor of Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon.  It works beautifully.  I don't have to worry about spyware, malware or viruses.  But the only thing is, I can't play Candy Crush while on Facebook.  Oh well.

So let's just say I love Linux. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
Hashem is punishing me the week before Pesach...

Today I started a new project here at work. It involves Windows 7 development... How I dislike working in Windows.... But I am making good progress none-the-less...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
windows xp was great .I just changed to 7 because of the security threat to xp .7 is just garbage.What does linux look like
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »
The old Blue Screen of Death was enough to ween many off of Windows...

Windows is bad because of Microsoft, a company which is more concerned with making money than taking care of the operating system. So many bugs have been ignored by MS and hackers love it because of the fact that MS is slow to fix things.

My company currently works with Microsoft, so I should not be so hard on them (we make the chip they use in their mediaroom servers)... But I am so glad I am not the one who has to work with them. Many years ago I interviewed at MS and while they tried to impress me (and they did a good job), in the end I decided I would not want to work for them. I am against any 'mega-company' or monopoly company.... Microsoft had the idea that it could force users to use it's OS and there were no options. Without competition there is no innovation... The Mac project caused MS to have to enter the GUI market (and Apple sued them)... Linux is the only real option because as a Software Engineer I can get the source-code to the OS and make any changes, to any Open Source software (which provides the code), and thus it is much easier to repair bugs.

I believe the latest Apple OS is based on Linux... So Linux has even had an impact on the corporations.

Microsoft used to mock Linux, now it has to deal with it.

Mine is orange. I hear you get a choice of colors of death now.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »

Mine is orange. I hear you get a choice of colors of death now.

OSoD ha