Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Massie : The Journeys of Our Lives  (Read 3008 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Massie : The Journeys of Our Lives
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »
Shalom JTF Reader,

This week I am starting the Video Study thread a little early. I am doing this because I may not be available tomorrow night and I am interested in hearing the latest lecture from Rabbi Richman (one of my favorite teachers). Usually Massie is read as part of a double-reading of Matot-Massie but because this year was a leap year, many parshas which normally are read as double-portions are read alone.

This portion starts with a recollection of the 42 stations which the children of Israel stopped at during their forty year sojourn in the desert. The sages have derived much insight into why the Torah felt the need to list each of these places, and the kabbalah seeks to explain the meanings of the names of these places.

The portion goes on to explain about the boundaries of the Eretz/Land, the imperative to set up cities of refuge for the accidental murderer, and the narrative concerning the women (daughters of Tzelafched) who inherited from their father.

Here is the summation according to Chabads 'Parsha in a Nutshell':

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/296690/jewish/Massei-in-a-Nutshell.htm

The forty-two journeys and encampments of Israel are listed, from the Exodus to their encampment on the plains of Moab across the river from the land of Canaan.

Also in Massei: The boundaries of the Promised Land are given, and cities of refuge are designated as havens and places of exile for inadvertent murderers. The daughters of Tzelafchad marry within their own tribe of Manasseh, so that the estate which they inherit from their father should not pass to the province of another tribe.

The great Rabbi Richman from 3 years ago:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Massie : The Journeys of Our Lives
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
Rabbi Richman posted his latest video last night...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
The Torah portion contains some rules concerning the cities of refuge...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
That was not enough Torah. You're really forcing me to search here now.

http://www.torahanytime.com/video/parashat-masay-gaza/
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
That was not enough Torah. You're really forcing me to search here now.

http://www.torahanytime.com/video/parashat-masay-gaza/

This was an epic parsha from an always-interesting and highly charismatic Rabbi. I also love how he sang "says Rav [something], a bombshell'.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
This was an epic parsha from an always-interesting and highly charismatic Rabbi. I also love how he sang "says Rav [something], a bombshell'.

Sorry for the short list of videos so far.... I was busy with a Torah lesson with my Rabbi last night... I hope to post some more good ones tonight after work... I'll check out Rabbi Glatsteins lesson then...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 01:04:02 AM »
Thanks for the videos LKZ...

Rabbi Odze on the parsha...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:12:06 AM »
Rabbi Finkelsteins talk recorded this year on the portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:21 AM »
Rabbi Weisblum gives a short talk on the portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »
Chassidic insights from Rabbi Svirsky in Jerusalem..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:06:22 AM »
Rabbi Glick on the portion...