Author Topic: Request  (Read 13940 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Request
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
Muman, I need more lectures on the Shema so I can daven with more kavannah please

And Tag, do you know of any siddurim without kabbalistic verses? Did the old ones have them? I don't really understand all of them, so I'd test out an old school one if they were like that.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Request
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
Have you seen the ones I posted in the Tefillah thread?

And what 'Kabbalistic' verses are you referring to?

Davening consists of verses from Psalms mostly, many Kaddishes, and the required prayers including Shema and Amidah...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
Muman, I need more lectures on the Shema so I can daven with more kavannah please

And Tag, do you know of any siddurim without kabbalistic verses? Did the old ones have them? I don't really understand all of them, so I'd test out an old school one if they were like that.

Sefardi or aski you want?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »

Sefardi or aski you want?

Idk. Technically I can do both.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »

That is humorous... Anyone can 'technically' do either... We usually learn the mesorah our family has kept...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

Ok if you want a good siddur is "Sukkat David". It is Sefardi. Not sure if their is with translation or not.

Better idea is to get one with a translation

Here is a bunch of them http://www.mysefer.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=275&strPageHistory=cat

out of them the one's that I would personally recommend more (and it depends on your prefence as well) are

Orot Sefardi Siddur- you can look inside here how it is formatted
http://www.mysefer.com/popuplargeimage.asp?strImage=1008.jpg&strImageType=scanned&strPageTitle=Orot Sephardic Weekday Siddur (Kol Sasson) - Small Size

or Sephardic Siddur with Linear Translation for Weekly, Shabbat and Festivals 

http://www.mysefer.com/popuplargeimage.asp?strImage=3123.jpg&strImageType=scanned&strPageTitle=Sephardic Siddur with Linear Translation for Weekly, Shabbat and Festivals

----------------------

The second one is probably better for you because it has for both Shabbat, holidays and weekdays. The first you would have to end up buying more then 1 Siddur separately.

4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »
I have the second one. And about Kabbalistic, Im not sure. I think most Siddurim don't have them and the one's that do have hints to them which most people do not take into account (such as bigger letters of bold etc.) . Some others have more open but they aren't the majority of them.

If you want Aski, I don't know much but I hear the new Koren is very good.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »
I use Tehillat Hashem (it's Chabad) and there are a lot of Kabalistic things in there. I like it though because it's well organized and you fit everything into one little book. Is there a siddur there with everything in one or am I going to have to have one for shabbat and one for festivals and three others?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
I use Tehillat Hashem (it's Chabad) and there are a lot of Kabalistic things in there. I like it though because it's well organized and you fit everything into one little book. Is there a siddur there with everything in one or am I going to have to have one for shabbat and one for festivals and three others?

The last one is everything (almost except Yom Kippur, and Rosh Hashana) in it. I mean the last Sefardi one I recommended.

I also have Tehillat Hashem on my Phone (and another one as well ) they are free to download as an APP. I use it for Birkat Levana.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 12:43:56 AM »

LKZ,

I use the Chabad siddur when I daven with my minyan on Shabbat and holidays. I am not sure what you mean Kabbalistic things? I also use the Artscroll Siddur Ashkenaz and there is very very little difference... Could you explain to me what you consider to be kabbalistic?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 12:47:09 AM »
I have the second one. And about Kabbalistic, Im not sure. I think most Siddurim don't have them and the one's that do have hints to them which most people do not take into account (such as bigger letters of bold etc.) . Some others have more open but they aren't the majority of them.

If you want Aski, I don't know much but I hear the new Koren is very good.

I think you are referring to the printing of the Shema... The first and last letters are bolded because they form the word eid, meaning witness. I don't know if this is kabbalistic in orgin or from the Talmud.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1019954/jewish/WhY-the-LargE-LetterS.htm

Question:

Why are the final letters of the first and last words of the Shema larger than all the others in the Torah scroll?

Answer:

One of the many explanations is that we enlarge those letters to ensure that they are read properly.

If the word shema, שמע, would be read with an aleph—which sounds very similar to the ayin—the meaning of the word would change from “hear” to “maybe,” changing a firm declaration of belief into an expression of doubt.

Similarly, if the ד (dalet) of the word echad, אחד, would be mistaken for a ר (reish)—as the two look almost identical—then echad (“one”) would be read acher (“other”). This would make our belief in one G‑d look like a belief in two gods.

Another explanation the commentaries cite is these two letters together spell עד (eid), the Hebrew word for “witness.” When we recite the Shema, we attest to His primacy. This reflects the words of Isaiah (43:10), “You are my witnesses . . .”

Sources:
Vayikra Rabbah 19:2; Baal Haturim and Kli Yakar to Deuteronomy 6:4.

In some siddurs I have seen the letters of the acrostic in Psalm 145 (Ashrei) bolded.... Each letter at the beginning of a word runs from aleph to Taf with the Nun missing.

http://www.w.ouradio.org/torah/article/psalms_chapter_145

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
I think you are referring to the printing of the Shema... The first and last letters are bolded because they form the word eid, meaning witness. I don't know if this is kabbalistic in orgin or from the Talmud.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1019954/jewish/WhY-the-LargE-LetterS.htm
In some siddurs I have seen the letters of the acrostic in Psalm 145 (Ashrei) bolded.... Each letter at the beginning of a word runs from aleph to Taf with the Nun missing.

http://www.w.ouradio.org/torah/article/psalms_chapter_145

Well for sure a lot of the songs before shabbat, but when I saw the artscroll tehillat Hashem, a lot of the verses were sourced to Zohar. Also the prayers before retiring at bed I think too. Ask a Rabbi about it. In the counting of the Omer I think too there's a lot of things about the emanations of Hashem that I'm pretty sure no one really gets.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
Well for sure a lot of the songs before shabbat, but when I saw the artscroll tehillat Hashem, a lot of the verses were sourced to Zohar. Also the prayers before retiring at bed I think too. Ask a Rabbi about it. In the counting of the Omer I think too there's a lot of things about the emanations of Hashem that I'm pretty sure no one really gets.

What are you trying to find exactly?

Do you have an I-Phone? If you do you can now install "Smart Siddur Lite" for Free. (and 3 different Nusach's are available- Sefardi, Sefarad and Askenasi)  Their is also the $3 dollar version with some more things but the free one has most of the things you need.
 Also can download
 Tehillat Hashem, for free. (Its Chabad as you know).

Then I suggest you buy the siddur I recommended with the English translation. It will help you to understand what you are reading and it has the Halachot (Laws) right before each section as well.

- Then when you go buy you should get the one with the translation I told you earlier because it

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »
That is humorous... Anyone can 'technically' do either... We usually learn the mesorah our family has kept...

My family doesn't do any. My mother's father is Sephardic, so technically I should do Sephardic, but I'm the only one in the house that keeps anything, and I learned Ashkenazi minhag. I like to switch up the siddur anyways.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
My family doesn't do any. My mother's father is Sephardic, so technically I should do Sephardic, but I'm the only one in the house that keeps anything, and I learned Ashkenazi minhag. I like to switch up the siddur anyways.

Ok... IMO you should keep the Sephardic minhag... My Sephardic friend does daven with his siddur when in the mostly Ashkenazic minyan and nobody gives him a hard time. Though I have heard it said that one who visits a shul should daven in the minhag of the shul...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
http://mytorah.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/parsha-eikev/ Awesome!

Shabbat Shalom!!

Thanks... I wrote that in 2008 about the time I joined JTF.... I used to do the weekly parsha on my blog... mytorah.wordpress.com is my blog...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

Perhaps you didn't notice he's baal teshuva...

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »

A good old fashioned artscroll siddur with nusach ashkenaz will do the trick.  Has all festival shemoneh esrehs etc..  for things other than shemone esrei on yom kippur, rosh hashana you will need another siddur but that's probably truee of all of them.  They just can't possibly fit that much into one book.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »

I usually just ignore this kind of stuff and barely could even begin to understand it if I tried.  I find it meaningful to. Have kevana even on simple matters in the prayerbook which we are even doing over and over again.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:50 AM »
Perhaps you didn't notice he's baal teshuva...

Oh, I know LKZ... We are pretty good friends...

And I did not mean anything derogatory by saying I found it humorous...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 12:59:56 AM »
Here are some meditations and kevanah of the Shema, as taught by Rabbi Avraham Sutton.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 01:11:40 AM »
I recommend the following book from ArtScroll. It was one of the first books I purchased when I bought a bunch of books from Artscroll... It is great for helping your kevanah.

http://artscroll.com/Books/9781422600153.html

Product Description

Ignite the Power of Your Tefillah In Just 5 Minutes A Day!

Tefillah (prayer) is a miraculous power each of us has, yet most of us use only a fraction of its potential. Through the gift of tefillah , Hashem places in our hands the key to the Heavenly storehouse of blessing, and gives us the precise words that can release these treasures into our lives. And what treasures they areà . our health, our ability to find a spouse and build a Jewish home, our success in raising our children, our safety, security, livelihood. Everything.

Praying With Fire is a 5- minute- a day program developed by Rabbi Heshy Kleinman, who has researched, taught and spoken on the topic of tefillah for many years. Now he brings his passion and knowledge to the printed page.

This work is a brilliant combination of in- depth scholarship and pure inspiration, all in an easy- to- use daily learning format. Day by day, step by step, you will find your tefillah becoming stronger, more meaningful and more effective. With soul- stirring introductions by HaRav Mattisyahu Salomon and Rabbi Yisroel Reisman, Praying With Fire is the ultimate guidebook to fine tune attitudes and approaches to daily communicating with Hashem. The book examines several key components of meaningful tefillah, such as:

o Igniting the Power of Prayer
o Achieving Personal Growth through Tefillah
o Gaining a Proper Understanding of Kavanah (focused intention)
o Tapping the Shechinah's Presence
o Thirteen Practical Strategies to Achieve True Kavanah
o Why No Prayer Goes Unanswered
o The Spoken Word: Our Downfall, Our Salvation

Give your prayer experience a vital boost this year with Praying With Fire in just five minutes a day!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 01:51:05 AM »
The Breslov Rabbi Cassuto discusses the Likutey Moran on Shema..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 02:30:00 AM »
May all the Torah learned in the videos I posted be a blessing for all of us... Hashem should shine his glory to each of us.