Author Topic: Flu Shots  (Read 1610 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Flu Shots
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »
I saw by my neighborhood drug store they giving free flu shots, what you all think about that.. Do they work for the upcoming flu season?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
Re: Flu Shots
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
Yes, they do. That's why all Americans are encouraged to get them.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:57:49 PM »
I don't buy that they work.

Any competent doctor will tell you the best way to avoid getting sick is to be well-rested at all times and reduce stress.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
My Father's cardiologist recommends that he should get it every year.
He had cardiac bypass and an aortic valve replaced a few years ago.
I think that it is recommended especially for the elderly or debilitated.
My daughter's pediatrician does not give it to her - because she has no chronic health issues.  Thank G-d.
I only take it when they are giving it at work and I'm on that day.

Just as an aside:  I know someone who developed a transient paralysis (Guillian Barre) after taking the flu shot.   It did resolve with time.  Not sure if it was related.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000684.htm#Definition
My Dad took it a few years ago and couldn't move his arm for about 6 months.  We weren't sure if it was the flu shot or how it was given.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
My grandfather just got his FLU shot today... He had it last years as well and did not get sick.
It might be a good thing for the elderly people to get the shot!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »
My grandfather just got his FLU shot today... He had it last years as well and did not get sick.
It might be a good thing for the elderly people to get the shot!
Yes - That does seem to be the recommendation!
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »
Flu Shots absolutely do make a difference. I've gotten one every year since '93 and have noticed a big difference. I've still gotten the flu, but a LOT less frequently after getting the flu shot. It's a good idea for everyone to take it, not just the elderly. Anyone working around children (like teachers) should especially get a flu shot. So I always make sure I get mine. Several years ago, my aunt's doctor told her that he wouldn't give her a flu shot that year since there was a shortage and she wasn't considered "high risk" (even though she was also a teacher). A few months later, she ended up getting the flu which led to a very severe case of pnemococil pneumonia where she died a week later. My mother and I argued about whether or not not getting the flu shot had something to do with her death. I stated that I had gotten the flu shot that year and that a couple of months before my aunt go the flu, I had a really bad case of the flu to the point I felt like I was dying. My mother said that since I got the flu shot and my aunt didn't, perhaps that's why I lived and she didn't. At first, I was horrified and outraged by this statement. But afterwards realized that my mother could be right about this. My mother was always very paranoid even before this happened to my aunt (even for a Jewish mother). So after this situation, you can bet your bottom dollar that she will be sure I will be getting my flu shot regardless of whatever shortage situation might be taking place.

Also, a few weeks after my aunt passed away, my parents encouraged me to ask my doctor to give me a pneumonia shot which I got with no objection. So that's also a good shot to get, one that our doctors may not offer us, but one that we will need to ask for. Unfortunately, there are many things which might benefit us but that our doctors may not think of, but we will receive those things if we ask for it. For years, I've been suffering from fatigue. My doctor never suggested that I get a sleep study done. But my mother suggested that I get this done. So I requested it. It turns out I have periodic limb movement disorder which I'm now taking Requip for and noticing a significant difference in my energy level already. I'm really happy about this, but also wonder why my doctor never thought about me getting a sleep study since he knew of my fatigue issues.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough and digressed a little from the original topic. But yes, a big thumbs up for flu shots! :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:11:24 PM by Daniel »

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 09:32:48 PM »

Any competent doctor will tell you the best way to avoid getting sick is to be well-rested at all times and reduce stress.
So, the fact that the amount of people who get a flu shot are a lot less likely to get the flu than those who don't get a flu shot means nothing to you?

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:35:03 PM »

They are all good and beneficial things. They are all pieces of the puzzles that should be supplemented to each other and not "substituted."