Author Topic: Civil Disobedience and the NY Met  (Read 3249 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Civil Disobedience and the NY Met
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
It is absolutely disgusting what is taking place in New York these days. While I was completely sickened a few years ago when the 9/11 Mosque plans were revealed, now it seems even more ominous and evil things are taking place in New York city. First there was the sickening display of pro-terrorist sympathizers in the NY Muslim Day parade held this week which the main stream media conveniently didn't cover (google news only lists 5 news sites carrying the story, none of them MSM).... And the news that the NY Metropolitan Opera is holding an antisemitic, pro terrorist opera this month.

I call for all who can demonstrate against this outrage to take to the streets, engage in JDL style protest (shut down the streets leading to the venue by sitting in the street)... If Kahane was alive today I am sure there would be an organized mass demonstration against this insult to Jews.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Civil Disobedience and the NY Met
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/is-saudi-money-behind-the-met-operas-anti-semitic-pro-terrorist-death-of-klinghoffer-production/

American oil companies used to sponsor a lot of cultural programming. As the Saudis nationalized and began to take control, that has shifted.

The Saudis are not big opera buffs, but their regime spreads anti-Semitism around the world. And the Metropolitan Opera’s current decision to mount The Death of Klinghoffer, a widely denounced anti-Semitic modern opera in a season packed with productions that are rarely less than a century old, is a curious aberration.

The Metropolitan Opera’s manager Peter Gelb is predicting bankruptcy in two years as the Met has blown through a fortune, for example spending $169,000 on a poppy field used as opera scenery.

The Met is incapable of budgeting and its needs money badly.

Saudi Petroleum International is a local arm of Saudi Aramco and a significant donor to the Metropolitan Opera. The Saudi Minister of Petroleum, Ibrahim Al-Naimi, has even been listed on occasion as a principal sponsor.

The Met has increasingly been making its money from digital broadcasts, rather than theater performances, making it more reliant on international audiences. Its “Live in HD” digital broadcasts go out to countries such as Lebanon, Morocco,  as well as to Dubai.

The HD business has become the Met’s bread and butter and like a lot of the luxury trade, it’s looking for a cut of the gushing wells of oil money from nouveau riche sheiks and princes.

Catering to their bigotry is not the classiest way to get it, but it certainly has a history of working.

Like most of the American entertainment and culture institutions, the Met is increasingly looking abroad. The Death of Klinghoffer may strike American audiences, not to mention the Klinghoffer family, as hateful and exploitative, but it’s just adding more noise into the culture of anti-Semitism that has been so successfully cultivated in Europe and the Middle East.

The Metropolitan Opera is looking to profit from bigotry in the Middle East and Europe. It’s not the first cultural organization to discover that anti-Semitism sells tickets.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
If the Met dared to perform an anti-islamic opera you know that the site would be bombed....

This is an instance where Jews need to learn a lesson from other peoples demonstrations, get into the theatre and light smoke bombs, pull fire alarms, release ball bearings, etc...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/185021#.VByXlnXhNoU

Several Jewish groups will be holding a rally at the Lincoln Center in New York later this month in protest of the presentation of “The Death of Klinghoffer” opera.

The Coalition Against the Met Terror Opera (CATO) announced plans for the massive protest to be held at Lincoln Center on Monday evening, September 22, from 4:30-6 P.M., at Broadway and 65th Street in Manhattan, the night of the gala opening of the Metropolitan opera season.

Thousands of protestors will be on hand to raise their voices against the performances of the opera promoting terrorism, anti-Semitism, and anti-Zionism.

“The Metropolitan Opera, led by its director, Peter Gelb, persists in presenting ‘The Death Of Klinghoffer’ this fall, despite the fact that incontrovertible evidence exists in the libretto by Alice Goodman, and in remarks made by Gelb and the composer, John Adams, that the opera supports sympathy for terrorists and hatred for Jews and Israel,” CATO said in a statement.

“The story of the execution of Leon Klinghoffer by PLO terrorists in 1985, on the hi-jacked Achille Lauro, is well known. The handicapped Klinghoffer was selected to be murdered because he was a Jew. The terrorists shot him and threw him overboard in his wheelchair. The story is a frightening one and was an omen of the terrorism that was to come from the PLO that has morphed into ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, Muslim Brotherhood, Fatah and a host of others.”

“After pressure was exerted that acknowledged that the Klinghoffer opera could arouse anti-Semitic, pro-terror demonstrations across Europe and America, Peter Gelb agreed to cancel the HD showings of the opera around the world. However, he apparently believes that NYC can cope with the heinous message despite the fact that 3,000 plus innocent victims of Islamic terror fell on Sept. 11, 2001, and has insisted on performing the opera. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) cut a deal with Gelb which sought to appease Klinghoffer's two daughters with a small insertion into the playbill, and they were misled, with insufficient facts, to allow the opera. Our coalition strongly disagrees with permitting the opera to run and we argue there can be zero tolerance for terrorists,” said the CATO statement.

The Coalition Against Terror Opera (CATO) is made up of AFSI, AMCHA, CIPAC, COPMA, HRCARI, JAA, JCC Watch, Mothers Against Terrorism, OZ, Stand With Us, Strength to Strength, Westchester HS,  ZOA, International Committee for the Land of Israel, the Jewish Political Education Foundation (JPEF), and the Catholic League, with many other organizations signing on every day. The Rambam Mesivta H.S., led by Rabbi Zev Meir Friedman, Shalhevet HS for Girls, and the Westchester Day School have spearheaded the effort to bring students to the protest.

An impressive roster of speakers for the rally is in formation, including victims of terrorism, first responders, rabbis, pastors, educators, and public servants.

“All concerned citizens are urged to participate. We must adhere to the admonition not to stand idly by the blood of our brothers. This is an opportunity for everyone to act ourselves and to teach our children that we will not be silent, as were too many American Jews in the 1930s. Never again!” the statement said.

Offline Yehudayaakov

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »
A civil disobedience in Israel by the Jewish inhbitants against authority that refuse to protect against arab terror

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
I went to the protest today and the sign that I made ( Metropolitan Nazi Opera ) was mentioned in the NY Nazi Times!

I had a hunch that this sign would be effective,  as it sends a loud message.  While the NY Nazi Times very likely mentioned my sign to illustrate the protest is extreme,  the most important thing is they gave it coverage.   It sends a message that the ' Met' is viewed by some as a Nazi supporting organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/arts/music/protests-over-klinghoffer-planned-for-mets-opening-night.html

The protesters on Monday held up signs that said “Metropolitan Nazi Opera,” “Stop the Hate — Defund Met Opera” and, in a question aimed at Peter Gelb, the general manager of the Met, “Gelb Are You Taking Terror $$$?” One speaker called for the opera’s sets to be “burned to the ground.”

If Peter Gelb and co. don't cancel this hideous anti-Semitic so called opera,  I'm planning on using another powerful sign at the opening night of the ' opera'  rally.  This one directed against Peter Gelb,  that I think will be much more effective than the signs people used against him today.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
you're famous eb!
well, your sign is.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »
All these years I thought EB was a girl, must be from the Sarah Palin profile he had. Well done for going to the march.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
The Met has become Evil promoting Arab terrorism.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/185304#.VCGmzTbwvcs
Met Opera Sells Tickets with 'Murder a Jew' Pic
Coalition of 60 groups to mobilize in protest Monday against 'Klinghoffer' play, seeks disclosure of donors' names.
By Gil Ronen
9/19/2014

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
All these years I thought EB was a girl, must be from the Sarah Palin profile he had. Well done for going to the march.

what? ? I also thought eb was female for some reason.
no gender listed.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
 :clap:
I went to the protest today and the sign that I made ( Metropolitan Nazi Opera ) was mentioned in the NY Nazi Times!

I had a hunch that this sign would be effective,  as it sends a loud message.  While the NY Nazi Times very likely mentioned my sign to illustrate the protest is extreme,  the most important thing is they gave it coverage.   It sends a message that the ' Met' is viewed by some as a Nazi supporting organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/arts/music/protests-over-klinghoffer-planned-for-mets-opening-night.html

The protesters on Monday held up signs that said “Metropolitan Nazi Opera,” “Stop the Hate — Defund Met Opera” and, in a question aimed at Peter Gelb, the general manager of the Met, “Gelb Are You Taking Terror $$$?” One speaker called for the opera’s sets to be “burned to the ground.”

If Peter Gelb and co. don't cancel this hideous anti-Semitic so called opera,  I'm planning on using another powerful sign at the opening night of the ' opera'  rally.  This one directed against Peter Gelb,  that I think will be much more effective than the signs people used against him today.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
http://www.amny.com/news/met-opera-protested-for-staging-the-controversial-the-death-of-klinghoffer-1.9379348

Protesters call on Met to shut down controversial opera

By IVAN PEREIRA September 22, 2014

New Yorkers opposed to a controversial show opening at the Metropolitan Opera House took their complaints right to the front door of the institution's owner Monday.

Dozens of people from different backgrounds gathered outside Lincoln Center calling on the Met Opera's general manager, Peter Gelb, to cancel its upcoming performances of "The Death of Klinghoffer." The opera depicts the 1985 hijacking of an Italian cruise ship by Palestinian terrorists and murder of passenger Leon Klinghoffer, a Jewish New Yorker, and it has been accused of being anti-Semitic tone.

Protesters let Gelb know how they felt about his decision to run the show as he walked past the crowd to the opera house Tuesday afternoon.

"Shame on you," the crowd shouted.

Rabbi Joseph Potasnik, the executive vice president of the New York Board of Rabbis, brushed off the comments of the opera's writer, John Adams, that the show -- which was first perfomed in Belgium in 1991 -- was not meant to promote anti-Semitism. The rabbi, who was one of several speakers including Catholic League President Bill Donahue and state Assemb. David Weprin, said the show glorifies the terrorists by trivializing the events with music.

"We as Jews got stabbed in the back by the Met," he Potasnik. "What's next? 'ISIS: A Love Story'?"

The Met, which is planning to present the opera in October and November, reiterated that although the show deals with difficult subject matter it stood by Adams's work.

"As a cultural institution, we unwaveringly support the freedom of artists to create responsible work that addresses difficult contemporary topics. We firmly believe that artistic explorations of politically charged subjects should be presented to the public without fear of censorship," it said in a statement.

Stage and screen actor Tony Lo Bianco disagreed. The "French Connection" castmember argued the opera house needs to reconsider especially in light of the rise in violence and terror by extremist groups overseas.

"Freedom of expression is your right, but remember the enemy can hear you," said Lo Bianco, 77.
Ivan Pereira Ivan Pereira

I'm glad people from different walks of life were represented.  This type of performance should be offensive to all of us.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »
You know what opera I would pay big money to see...

The Death of Osama Bin Laden...

They should really make an opera like this, demonstrating the depraved mindset of the detestable islamic people. It should put to music the raid which separated OBL's face from his head....

I think I may start writing the songs for this Death of Osama Bin Laden opera...

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

Thanks,  Irish Zionist!

I used the Sarah Palin Avatar and support signature when I believed that she was the best viable hope in opposing and defeating Barack Hussein Obama.   I also greatly respect Sarah Palin for having a Down Syndrome baby in her 40's.   My Mom gave birth to my brother,  who is Down Syndrome,  in her 40's as well.    While I now believe Ted Cruz would be the best choice for the U.S. in the next Presidential Election,  I still believe Sarah Palin offers much more positives than negatives.   

Vogue. Com also mentioned my sign.   In their case,  in the first sentence of their article.

They are correct that I'm an ' angry man".   I'm proud of it when it comes to opposing Peter Gelb and his Metropolitan Nazi Opera organization!   Regarding what I was shouting,  I don't even recall shouting what Vogue claims that I shouted.  But I did shout something along the lines that the Metropolitan Opera is a Nazi organization and  ' Boycott the Met'  to some people that were going to the opening night event at the Met. 

http://www.vogue.com/1689215/met-opera-gala-party/

There’s nothing like an angry man holding a poster that reads “Metropolitan Nazi Opera” and shouting “Peter Gelb supports terrorism” to get you in the mood for Mozart’s 18th-century comedy of errors, Le Nozze di Figaro. Indeed, the Metropolitan Opera seems to have unwittingly adopted a new tradition for its galas: protests. For last September’s opening night, demonstrators decried Russian anti-homosexuality laws (the opera was Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin). On Monday evening, a similar scene greeted black tie–clad guests as they arrived for the fall season’s gala performance with protesters fervently denouncing the Met’s upcoming production of The Death of Klinghoffer, which they argue is both anti-Semitic and a celebration of terrorism (the Anti-Defamation League agreeing with the Met that it is not anti-Semitic). However, once under the opera house’s gilded ceilings, guests were quickly swept under the spell of the brilliant new production of Mozart’s classic opera buffa, Downton Abbey’s Sevillian predecessor.

"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
what? ? I also thought eb was female for some reason.
no gender listed.

Like Irish Zionist mentioned,  the Sarah Palin info that I used to have in my profile likely is why you were mistaken about my gender.   As someone who has gone to many JTF Meetings in the last few years and been to many protests in the NY Area since 2010,   I assumed that all of the regulars knew I'm a male.    Assuming that was a mistake on my part.   

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »
One other first hand info regarding yesterday's protest.  Some media outlets are greatly underestimating the amount of people at the event.   No surprise,  considering the Liberal bias by most of the media.

In my opinion,  there was probably somewhere between 1200 and 2200 people.   The protest covered 3 or 4 streets,  with people on both sides of the street opposite the Metropolitan Nazi Opera House.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »
I found Peter Gelb's email address:

[email protected].

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
Here's a picture of this Peter Gelb creature:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/magazine/the-epic-ups-and-downs-of-peter-gelb.html?pagewanted=all

Peter Gelb walked in the area of the protest,  to the point that the people on the protest stage and some others recognized him.   I couldn't see Gelb where I was standing.   But the crowd reaction to Gelb was strong.    I expect it to be even stronger on October 20 if the first ' performance'  of this Modern Day Nazi trash isn't cancelled.  So far,  Gelb is remaining firm.   Gelb is in for a reality check if he doesn't reverse course.   

Also,  I think the ' Museum of Modern Art'  should be boycotted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-23/scene-last-night-met-opera-opening-night-gala-draws-protesters.html

At the intermission, Glenn Lowry, director of the Museum of Modern Art, said the protest “comes with the territory” in a country where people have the freedom to express their opinion. “I think Peter Gelb is running a terrific program, and a great program is going to be controversial,” Lowry said. Gelb is the general manager of the Met Opera.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
What were people shouting to Peter Gelb?  I hope they were cursing him out.  He strikes me as a sick self-hating Jew. 

By the way, the email address I just posted doesn't work.  The Met's site has a contact form, and I wrote to Gelb there.  This is what I sent:

- - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -

To Mr. Peter Gelb:

I am shocked, appalled and dismayed to learn that the Metropolitan Opera has gone through with showing "The Death Of Klinghoffer." 

However, one only needs to follow the money to see why you and your organization would do such a thing.  How much money are you getting from Saudi Petroleum International?  Also, your last name sounds Jewish to me.  So I'm just wondering how you, as a Jew can justify spreading pro PLO propaganda.  How do you live with yourself? 

Now you'll probably say it's art, and the Met is on the cutting edge and doesn't believe in censorship, etc.  But that's a lie.  Somehow, I just can' imagine you showing operas about the death of Osama Bin Laden or anything about the be-headings of Daniel Pearl, James Foley or Steven Sotloff.  No doubt you and your people would consider that insensitive.  But if it's about an elderly Jew in a wheelchair being killed for being Jewish, then it's art?

Shame on you Mr. Gelb.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:04 AM »
What were people shouting to Peter Gelb?  I hope they were cursing him out.  He strikes me as a sick self-hating Jew. 

By the way, the email address I just posted doesn't work.  The Met's site has a contact form, and I wrote to Gelb there.  This is what I sent:

- - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -

To Mr. Peter Gelb:

I am shocked, appalled and dismayed to learn that the Metropolitan Opera has gone through with showing "The Death Of Klinghoffer." 

However, one only needs to follow the money to see why you and your organization would do such a thing.  How much money are you getting from Saudi Petroleum International?  Also, your last name sounds Jewish to me.  So I'm just wondering how you, as a Jew can justify spreading pro PLO propaganda.  How do you live with yourself? 

Now you'll probably say it's art, and the Met is on the cutting edge and doesn't believe in censorship, etc.  But that's a lie.  Somehow, I just can' imagine you showing operas about the death of Osama Bin Laden or anything about the be-headings of Daniel Pearl, James Foley or Steven Sotloff.  No doubt you and your people would consider that insensitive.  But if it's about an elderly Jew in a wheelchair being killed for being Jewish, then it's art?

Shame on you Mr. Gelb.

Kol HaKavod Lisa!

You said it clearly and to the point. If only it could change their minds...

May you and your family and friends all have a Good and Sweet New Year, may you be written and sealed in the book of life!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »
Thank you Muman.  I got my inspiration from your post about wanting to compose an opera called "The Death Of Osama Bin Laden" with music set to his face being separated by his head. 

Shana Tova to your and your loved ones as well.  And may you all be sealed into the Book Of Life.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »
Muman and everyone else, why do you all write to Peter Gelb?  Here's a link to the Met's contact form:

http://www.metopera.org/metopera/utility/contact/

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »
Eb22, what's your next banner going to say? 

You can pm it to me if you don't want to post it here.  Maybe we can also post it on the Met's Facebook page. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 12:31:04 AM »
Thank you Muman.  I got my inspiration from your post about wanting to compose an opera called "The Death Of Osama Bin Laden" with music set to his face being separated by his head. 

Shana Tova to your and your loved ones as well.  And may you all be sealed into the Book Of Life.

I saw that part and I felt good, thank you...

I will write him too, but not this evening.... I have taken the rest of the week off from work so I should have time tomorrow morning after I wake up.