Author Topic: Electronic Cigaretts on Yom Yov?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Electronic Cigaretts on Yom Yov?
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »
Are they muttar or assur? When one smokes it a light goes on but maybe its not the intended action but the intended action is the smoke (and nicotine) ?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
Re: Electronic Cigaretts on Yom Yov?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:40:32 AM »
It uses electricty and heats a coil inside to produce the vapor.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:11:01 AM »
Smoking of a regular cigarette on Yom tov is forbidden for 2 reasons.
1 It harms a person's health and is forbidden all year round
2 It is forbidden on Yom Tov because of the principle that it is not שוה לכל נפש.
See Mishna Brura and Beur Halacha to Siman 511, Halacha 4.
Although in the days of the Mishna Brura where it was very common for all types of people to smoke, then in his days there was a difference among the poskim if Smoking is allowed on Yom Tov.
Now that many people do not smoke, all or almost all poskim would forbid smoking on Yom Tov based on the principle brought by Beur Halacha.
Even after reading about an electronic cigarette on wikipedia I still don't have a firm idea what it is, having , thank G-d never seen it being used.
But I doubt its law would be any different than the normal cigarette.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:56:39 AM »
For those that do smoke may smoke on yom tov if taken from a pre-existing flame & not extinguished afterwards.
As fr e-cigarettes no you can not use them on yom tov.
Best thing is nicorettes or the patch.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:31:59 AM »
Here is the Soncino Translation to the Talmud Ketuvot 7a to back up point #2 I raised earlier in this discussion
If that were so, it should be permitted to put spices on coals on a
festival, for since the kindling of fire has been allowed [on a festival] for a necessity, it should be
allowed also when there is no necessity! Said he to him. Concerning this the Biblical verse
said, save that which every man must eat, [this means] a thing which is useful for every man.
R. Aha, the son of Raba, said to R. Ashi: If this were So, then if a deer happened to come to the
hands of a person on a festival, [shall we say that] since it is not of equal usefulness for every
person, is it really so that it would be forbidden to kill it? Said he to him: I say, ‘a thing that is
needful for every person,’ [and] a deer is needful for every person.
Normally I would bring up the commentary of Soncino to make this quote more understandable but the background explanation would take too much time to post, so if you want further clarification you will have to look it up yourself if necessary.