Author Topic: Fascinating Talmud statement about life on other planets  (Read 11646 times)

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
  • "Lo ta'amod al dam re'echa"
Fascinating Talmud statement about life on other planets
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:26:33 AM »
The Gemara(part of the Talmud), states that there is a inhabited star called Maroz, but I don't know much else about it..any thoughts? Personally I think that since it's a star, the life that exists on it must be totally different from the life on Earth, possibly not even carbon-based. Also, the Gemara in mesekta Avodah Zarah says that everyday G-d travels throughout many worlds - why would G-d "visit" other worlds if there was not life on them?
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? if I am for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? - Hillel, Pirkei Avos

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Fascinating Talmud statement about life on other planets
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »
The Gemara(part of the Talmud), states that there is a inhabited star called Maroz, but I don't know much else about it..any thoughts? Personally I think that since it's a star, the life that exists on it must be totally different from the life on Earth, possibly not even carbon-based. Also, the Gemara in mesekta Avodah Zarah says that everyday G-d travels throughout many worlds - why would G-d "visit" other worlds if there was not life on them?
Maybe they mean the solar system surrounding the star
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
When it says G-d travels to the different worlds, I think this is referring to the the four spiritual worlds (Asiyah, Beriah, Yetzirah, and Atzilus).

I could be wrong, though.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

newman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:48 PM »
With all the billions of stars, planets and moons out there, the probability of other life forms makes sense just out of mathematical probability alone.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
With all the billions of stars, planets and moons out there, the probability of other life forms makes sense just out of mathematical probability alone.

I happen to agree.

Let me push your thoughts a little... That wouldn't, necessarily, mean that they would have to be made of something we could comprehend. Maybe they are made from energy... perhaps there are beings made from the poles of magnetism, energies we'd know as heat, or even time itself or something in that direction of thinking? Why would Hashem be limited to create only creatures made from the fabric of our world, time, and space? There are infinite numbers of levels and possibilities for life. G-d has no boundaries and I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were an infinite number of creations within the infinite number of possibilities.

And let me take it one step further. One hour here could be a million years somewhere else or an hour somewhere else could be billions of years here... and this is only where time exists! As you approach the center of a black hole (within the event horizon) time continues to slow down forever keeping you from ever making it to the infinite point in the center! Who's to say that entire creations don't come and go in a moment to us? We know in a dream, it can be as years to us in only a few minutes. Who's to say that when we die, that moment our brain shuts down, it isn't like an eternity with Hashem of it's very own? Think about how infinite and awesome this universe is BEYOND just the number of stars or planets.

This is all just theory and some speculation... but it's amazingly deep and interesting to think about.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:14:43 PM »

I happen to agree.

Let me push your thoughts a little... That wouldn't, necessarily, mean that they would have to be made of something we could comprehend. Maybe they are made from energy... perhaps there are beings made from the poles of magnetism, energies we'd know as heat, or even time itself or something in that direction of thinking? Why would Hashem be limited to create only creatures made from the fabric of our world, time, and space? There are infinite numbers of levels and possibilities for life. G-d has no boundaries and I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were an infinite number of creations within the infinite number of possibilities.

And let me take it one step further. One hour here could be a million years somewhere else or an hour somewhere else could be billions of years here... and this is only where time exists! As you approach the center of a black hole (within the event horizon) time continues to slow down forever keeping you from ever making it to the infinite point in the center! Who's to say that entire creations don't come and go in a moment to us? We know in a dream, it can be as years to us in only a few minutes. Who's to say that when we die, that moment our brain shuts down, it isn't like an eternity with Hashem of it's very own? Think about how infinite and awesome this universe is BEYOND just the number of stars or planets.

This is all just theory and some speculation... but it's amazingly deep and interesting to think about.
You are touching upon theories dealing with other spatial and temporal dimensions.  This can turn into a very fascinating thread.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

newman

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:50 PM »

I happen to agree.

HaShem can create any form of life out of anything he sees fit. We may be limited by the laws of Earth physics/ biology.....HE ISN'T. :)

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:25:46 PM »
When it says G-d travels to the different worlds, I think this is referring to the the four spiritual worlds (Asiyah, Beriah, Yetzirah, and Atzilus).

I could be wrong, though.

The Gemara in avodah Zarah says how many worlds g-d travels through, it's a lot more than 4, so I doubt it's an allusion to the kabalistic side of it, it's something like 30,000 or more, i dont remember now.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? if I am for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? - Hillel, Pirkei Avos

raiseyourfist

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 06:17:48 AM »
I can see where they are coming from but its a bit of a worry because it conflicts with the Lords focus on only earth and the people who live on earth...

There has to be something more to it

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
The Gemara in avodah Zarah says how many worlds g-d travels through, it's a lot more than 4, so I doubt it's an allusion to the kabalistic side of it, it's something like 30,000 or more, i dont remember now.

Maybe I should have said four "categories" because each is infinite and has levels within itself.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »
Playing devil's advocate here, what if intelligent life is found on another planet and they have religions that have no mention of  the Old or New Testament , and no references to any Prophets that Jews and Gentiles believe in ? 

On a sarcastic note, if they had no concept of islam, beam me up scotty.
No peace, without FREEDOM.

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »
I can see where they are coming from but its a bit of a worry because it conflicts with the Lords focus on only earth and the people who live on earth...

There has to be something more to it

G-d doesn't "focus", that's putting him on a limited level..G-d is beyond space and time, he can certainly handle more than one civilized world

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
Playing devil's advocate here, what if intelligent life is found on another planet and they have religions that have no mention of  the Old or New Testament , and no references to any Prophets that Jews and Gentiles believe in ? 

On a sarcastic note, if they had no concept of islam, beam me up scotty.

That simply wouldnt happen..the Torah is universal, G-d wouldnt create a world devoid of truth

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »
Interesting topic, I know i'd be freaked out if one day we were visiting mars or something and found the torah or a star of david somewhere on the planet.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:21:31 AM »
I do too, cosmokramer... I do too.

Even angels... they are beings. They exist but in a different way that we exist.

You know when you do something good for someone and it puts them in a good spirit? And then they effect others and they effect others... maybe even if it's just a smile that puts other in a better mood. To me, I think that is a type of angel (just one type, mind you). It's that effect put forth in the universe that existed but took some type of action to give it power to work. In effect, it exists, effects, and "lives" but doesn't have a tangible body or material. And it takes some of the "mystical" out of the concept and makes it easier to see what one type of angel might be like.

I think about these things often. I truly believe that the Torah gives any person the best possible life for their circumstances and that the benefit is in this world... and by putting it together with science, psychology, and philosophy, it brings a depth that is very fulfilling, interesting, and helpful to the meaning in a person's life.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 03:01:08 AM »
I think, since the word really translates as "lights," I don't think it's necessarily physical.  It could be purely spiritual, and the "inhabitants" angels.  I don't believe Hashem created any physical life outside of Earth.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 03:06:36 AM »
I think, since the word really translates as "lights," I don't think it's necessarily physical.  It could be purely spiritual, and the "inhabitants" angels.  I don't believe Hashem created any physical life outside of Earth.

What purpose to add so many planets then if there is no life outside of our planet? The universe is a very large place. I remember asking a question about alien life on other planets on askmoses.com, I was told that it is possible life exists but if they do, then they would not have free will. Does that mean life on other planets would be equivalent to animal life?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
Quote from: OdKahaneChai link=topic=7908.msg73318#msg73318 date=
Quote from: chakma613 link=topic=7908.msg70944#msg70944 date=
I cannot believe, given the vastness of the universe that we are aware of, the possibility of the parts of the universe that we cannot see being much larger and the possibility of the existence of dimensions that we cannot see, that Earth is the only place that G-d saw fit to create life.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 08:44:33 AM »

What purpose to add so many planets then if there is no life outside of our planet? The universe is a very large place. I remember asking a question about alien life on other planets on askmoses.com, I was told that it is possible life exists but if they do, then they would not have free will. Does that mean life on other planets would be equivalent to animal life?

Excellent point - if we say that life exists, we perforce have to say that this life has free will(UNLIKE angels), however they could be a type of life totally difffeent from anything we know, maybe even aphysical, or anaphasic(sp?)

Offline Xgamer

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »
Interesting topic, I know i'd be freaked out if one day we were visiting mars or something and found the torah or a star of david somewhere on the planet.

There is a face there, and Actually I heard the Face on Mars was actually true. Even though NASA tried to 'debunk' it, some guy made a 3d image of it and shot it from different views and it looked like a face in all of them.

newman

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 05:50:13 PM »

There is a face there, and Actually I heard the Face on Mars was actually true. Even though NASA tried to 'debunk' it, some guy made a 3d image of it and shot it from different views and it looked like a face in all of them.
I heard that the 'face on mars' has perfectly identical geometry to the spinx in Egypt.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »
Now too really play devils advocate.....

Will they be Jews or Christians ? ;)

Or Muslims ?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:35 PM »
Now too really play devils advocate.....

Will they be Jews or Christians ? ;)

Or Muslims ?

Perhaps their muslims, that's why we haven't found life on other planets is because they blew themselves up.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
Game set and match on that post !!! LOL