Author Topic: Important Question Kol Isha  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Important Question Kol Isha
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:47:30 AM »
Someone could explain whether the Jewish Law which forbids listening to a woman singing might apply to Gentiles as well in case the singer is a Jewess?
I have just accidentally found a video on YT of a woman singing Kidush and the description said "stricly for women". I didn't play it out of respect. And, suppossing that were just an additional voluntary stringency, could it be possible that the Law applied to listening live?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Important Question Kol Isha
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
It does not apply to gentiles, they are not bound by the mitzvot. Gentiles and Jewish men can listen to a woman singling if they don't see their image, and gentiles can listen to whatever they want.

The reason is no the men don't fantascize about her while she's singing, which is very hard not to do if you know what she looks like, even just admiring her beauty more. Gentiles so long as they aren't copulating with her are fine.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Important Question Kol Isha
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »
I suppose it is better to redpect the request of the singer but you are not bound by any Jewish halacha. Some if not most jews who mind kol isha at all think it applies to live performance.

In any case this is a custom (minhag), just like most issues about modesty (tzniut) and not halacha.