Poll

Should we not use the 'R' word?

Yes
6 (50%)
No
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Should we not use the 'R' word?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Should we not use the 'R' word?
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
We shouldnt call blacks the N word. We shouldnt call Jews the 'K' word and I think we shouldnt call Special Needs people the 'R' word. So what are your thoughts?

Please give me your thoughts.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Should we not use the 'R' word?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »
I agree. It's really not necessary.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:19:20 PM »
"Special needs" is a broad category and most people with special needs are not retarded. It is wrong to deliberately try to offend and make fun at persons with special needs that can't defend themselves. However I think it is acceptable to use the word in a clinical mining to describe a real condition. Not naming something doesn't make it to not exist.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
"Special needs" is a broad category and most people with special needs are not retarded. It is wrong to deliberately try to offend and make fun at persons with special needs that can't defend themselves. However I think it is acceptable to use the word in a clinical mining to describe a real condition. Not naming something doesn't make it to not exist.

But I'm pretty sure he's referring to using the word as an "insult" to people who are not actually clinically retarded but said something stupid, are leftist morons, etc.   I don't think he means that the clinical term should cease to be used.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »
I vote yes.  We should not use this term to insult people.   There are many thousands of words to choose from the attack our enemies.

I have at times allowed myself to use this term as an insult or just to describe an annoying situation where people's behavior doesn't make sense, and I regret it.   I try to avoid doing so.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
I agree with the first 2, because they don't add anything descriptive, they deny the humanity of the person and indicate that a person is lesser. Mentally retarded means exactly what it means. Handicapable means nothing, and special needs means nothing at all. It's not political correctness not to say the n word, it's a desire not to insult. Mentally retarded or shorthand retard means what it means, and I'm not in favor of saying we have to say words that mean nothing so as not to offend people.

I also call dumb people retards.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »
SAying  you can't say retard is like saying you have to say "laterally enhanced" to tubsters.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:39:35 PM »
If we (and i don't know of any official JTF communications with the word retard in it) say "retarded person", would that make you feel better? Or we could just say "person with nothing wrong with them who knows that is sanity lalalala la la there is no difference with anyone.)

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
If we (and i don't know of any official JTF communications with the word retard in it) say "retarded person", would that make you feel better? Or we could just say "person with nothing wrong with them who knows that is sanity lalalala la la there is no difference with anyone.)

Thats slightly less derogatory but still I don't think use it. I have many friends in Special Olympics and none of them use it.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
I voted wrong. Im okay calling some people retarded when they behave that way.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »
As someone who has a brother who has Down's Syndrome,   I avoid using the ' R' word.   I've never been comfortable with the way the ' R'  word has been thrown around.

Regarding the poll.   I inadvertently voted no,  as I misread the question.   Hence,  you can add one more yes vote.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »

Israel Chai, didn't you use that word to Brittney?

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »
As someone who has a brother who has Down's Syndrome,   I avoid using the ' R' word.   I've never been comfortable with the way the ' R'  word has been thrown around.

Regarding the poll.   I inadvertently voted no,  as I misread the question.   Hence,  you can add one more yes vote.

hehehe it was a trick question!
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »
Israel Chai, didn't you use that word to Brittney?

c'mon don't bring that up again. he's got lots of personal problems and he smokes poison.
lets leave him alone.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 02:32:17 PM »

c'mon don't bring that up again. he's got lots of personal problems and he smokes poison.
lets leave him alone.

Oh ok sorry about that. I won't ever mention her name here again.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
Oh ok sorry about that. I won't ever mention her name here again.

;D
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
Lol "didn't you use that word" brah don't act like you're all of a sudden a concerned parent. I called her post retarded. Then I spent about 4 or 5 posts explaining to her that i called her post retarded, not her, and after "she" still couldn't get that, then yeah i called her retarded.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:30 PM »

lets leave him alone.

You obsessed dude? You don't know anything about me, and I'm fine with cigarettes, they help me think.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
I'm not. I just find the word extremely offensive. She thought you called her that not that I'm defending her.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 02:34:13 AM »
I'm not. I just find the word extremely offensive. She thought you called her that not that I'm defending her.

Ok and some people find midget offensive, but Torah uses it and its descriptive of the condition they have, like mentally retarded. Rendering language meaningless because it offends you isn't helpful. For the record, do you prefer handicapable, special needs, differently abled, disabled, or is there no way to define sanity, and really they're sane and we're insane?

It won't change my answer or my opinion, you're not a tzaddik because you have now fought people off from saying that, you're thin skinned and anti-straightforwardness.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 05:53:17 AM »
So I am just trying to clear it so I understand, hypothetically, if I use the R word  to name call somebody or something who are not special needs person, is that end up offending people who I don't mean to- people of special needs, family of such people etc?

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »
So I am just trying to clear it so I understand, hypothetically, if I use the R word  to name call somebody or something who are not special needs person, is that end up offending people who I don't mean to- people of special needs, family of such people etc?

It is offensive regardless if he or she is Special needs or not.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 09:46:19 PM »
You obsessed dude? You don't know anything about me, and I'm fine with cigarettes, they help me think.

I'm just trying to help you out dude. See, he backed down. You should thank me for my many acts of kindness.
And yes smoking poison is bad for you. Either poison called weed or poison call tobacco.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
Using retarded as a slur is probably not a good idea if it's used to refer to people who are actually handicapped, and you may want to avoid it for other uses too but we have to remember that a lot of this self-censoring has to do with political correctness and so you have to strike the balance between being kind and losing your freedom of speech. Offensive speech is protected speech unless we self-censor.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »
Using retarded as a slur is probably not a good idea if it's used to refer to people who are actually handicapped, and you may want to avoid it for other uses too but we have to remember that a lot of this self-censoring has to do with political correctness and so you have to strike the balance between being kind and losing your freedom of speech. Offensive speech is protected speech unless we self-censor.

R**S**rs, you're right.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774