Author Topic: Great Experience I had with Hillel at my University Today  (Read 969 times)

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
Great Experience I had with Hillel at my University Today
« on: September 02, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »
I remember someone mentioning Hillel here and I wanted to mention my experience with them today.  I went to a free barbecue for graduate students they were having at their big Hillel house, (looks like a nice frat house) and met lots of really nice people.  Their program director is a rabbi and they have lots of religious activities such as Torah discussions and reform, conservative, and orthodox services at the Hillel house itself.  The assistant director was really nice and he said that if Hillel could do anything for me if I have troubles with anything such as even needing a ride somewhere, they would help.  They were extremely welcoming and seemed like they were just genuinely nice.  They even offer free delivery of free matza ball soup, whenever you want it!  There are some religious members and it is a more religious oriented group than I thought it would be.  The rabbis and program directors host Shabbat dinners at their houses and it seems like one of the main focuses of the group is actual Judaism, which is nice.

I had my doubts about Hillel.  We had one at my undergrad and didn't think it would be that great but after my initial experience with them I recommend anyone at a University or who will be at a University to check them out.   
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris