Author Topic: Ashkenazic and Sephardic  (Read 8704 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Ashkenazic and Sephardic
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:51:46 PM »
Why do some people still use these terms?  Should they have any relevance today? 

Could someone explain to me how "Ashkenazic" and "Sephardic" originated and how they differed in customs?  Are there any good websites that explain this?  I was looking at Chabad's site but, surprisingly, I couldn't find anything there about it.  There's probably something there on that site so if someone finds it, let me know. 

In Israel for example, shouldn't Jews be united as Jews rather than anyone thinking of themselves as part of some kind of sub-group?  I don't think these so-called classifications are relevant anymore. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:58:16 PM by RationalThought110 »

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Ashkenazic and Sephardic
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:18:42 PM »
The two groups started because Jews in different parts of The World had their own customs that developed there. Jews in France and Germany were called Ashkenazim and developed The Ashkenazic Rite and Jews in Spain, Muslim, and Eastern countries developed The Sfardic/Mizrachi Rite. The Jews of Italy developed The Italian Rite and I think this most resembles The Land of Israel Rite, because The Italian Rite is the oldest Diaspora rite.

What were any of the differences among their customs?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:42:37 PM »
The prayers are slightly different.

Do you know of any specific example(s)?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »
Yes explain

Offline Eitan

• Junior JTFer
  • Kahane was right
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »

in my community we have Ashkenazic and Sephardic and we did 'SLICHOT' togather and it was diffrent. ;D
but we found temporary solution for that.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:07:40 PM by Eitan »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:04:40 PM »
Explain!My mother was a german jew.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:11 PM »

in my community we have Ashkenazic and Sephardic and we did 'SLICHOT' togather and it was diffrent. ;D

Could you explain?

Offline Eitan

• Junior JTFer
  • Kahane was right
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »

Could you explain?
explain what? :-\

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:14:23 PM »
There are many cultural diffirences.

Since the Sephardic Jews primarily lived among the Muslims, they have preserved the original Middle Eastern Jewish character vs. European or Western.

For example, Sephardic Jews have patriarchy vs. matriarchy of the Ashkenazim.
Sepharadim have a stronger collective culture, and thus stronger communities.

There are more, but I am lazy to type.  :D Sorry.
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:20:28 PM »
Yes, we know we are jews.The seven of us know it came at great expense.My mother feared we ,yes even  all of us would know who we were.She explained at 77 years.So sad we should have to hide so much.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »

What do you mean? do you mean if your Jewish or not? because if you do then thats incorrect (Im Sefardi I know), but anyway their was allmost 0% assimilation.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 11:05:03 PM »

What do you mean? do you mean if your Jewish or not? because if you do then thats incorrect (Im Sefardi I know), but anyway their was allmost 0% assimilation.

No, I mean men's and women's standing in a family and society at large.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 01:28:30 AM »
How do you tell if your Ashkenazi or Sephardic. My dad was olive skin toned with black hair, black eyes and a moustache. He looked mediterranean.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:06:37 AM »
How do you tell if your Ashkenazi or Sephardic. My dad was olive skin toned with black hair, black eyes and a moustache. He looked mediterranean.

What do you mean by olive skin?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:07:15 AM »

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean so could you explain if possible?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »

What do you mean by olive skin?

Olive skin like this

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 02:50:42 AM »

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean so could you explain if possible?

In Sephardic families men are in full control. Women play supportive role. In Ashkenazi families women are equal and sometimes more important than men.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 07:39:18 AM »
Yes I get it.

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »
Sefardic Jews also look a bit diffrent than the Ashkenazic Jews, they have darker skin .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
Then what's the oldest community, Iraq?

Georgia or the Kavkaz .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 09:45:42 AM »
I'd say that in both Ashkenaz and Sephardit families that are still attached to their Jewish roots and not "enlightened" there is still a paternal influence with a maternal supporting role.  I don't think it has anything to do with it being Ashkenaz or Sephardit but Judaism and the mass infection of the "reformation", "enlightenment" or "emancipation" projected onto the masses of European Jewry: Ashkenazim which effected the family unit.  imo..

"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »
Sefardic Jews also look a bit diffrent than the Ashkenazic Jews, they have darker skin .

I would guess that there are plenty of exceptions within both classifications.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »
I'd say that in both Ashkenaz and Sephardit families that are still attached to their Jewish roots and not "enlightened" there is still a paternal influence with a maternal supporting role.  I don't think it has anything to do with it being Ashkenaz or Sephardit but Judaism and the mass infection of the "reformation", "enlightenment" or "emancipation" projected onto the masses of European Jewry: Ashkenazim which effected the family unit.  imo..

Interesting perspective. 

How did the "reformation" impact Judaism other than Jews being caught in the middle of a war being different sects of Christianity?  Were Jews persecuted during the "30 years war"?    Are you saying that the reformation changed the way Judaism was practiced?

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:52 PM »

I would guess that there are plenty of exceptions within both classifications.
Please explein .

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »

Interesting perspective. 

How did the "reformation" impact Judaism other than Jews being caught in the middle of a war being different sects of Christianity?  Were Jews persecuted during the "30 years war"?    Are you saying that the reformation changed the way Judaism was practiced?

He meant Enlightement not Reformation; all those Jews who got civil rights in XVIII/XIX century west; but still the feminism was not as decive factor until after WWII.  
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm