Yes.
19 (38.8%)
No.
25 (51%)
I'm not sure.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM

Author Topic: What Do You All Think Of Halloween?  (Read 46141 times)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
Re: Should Halloween be banned?
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2007, 04:32:06 PM »
Sure, why not ban Purim too while we're at it?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
Why?

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »

Uh huh, and today it means silly costume, laughs with friends, and the phone number of that cute girl in the Xena the Warrior Princess costume.

I'm starting to sense sour grapes from our party poopers.

This is a religious forum and we don't condone those things on here.

But on a religious forum, it's appropriate to entertain the idea of banning holidays that have nothing to do with us and have absolutely no bearing on our qualities of life?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
More Christians than ever do not celebrate halloween.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »

That is a self-hating comment. The two holidays have nothing in common. Dressing up isn't even the main part of Purim if that's why you compare them. Dressing up is not one of the 4 mitzvot of Purim and I don't dress up for Purim and think it's silly although I did when I was a little kid. I dressed as people from The Megillah. I think it's silly the way people dress up as all these different things like people do on Halloween.

This is not a self-hating comment. I was being sarcastic and was phrasing this from the perspective of a non-Jew saying this to you to see how you would like it, and was trying to point out how much of an "other-hating" and intolerant comment you are exhibiting by posting this type of question.

If you don't like the holiday, then just don't celebrate it. But don't try to impose your beliefs on other people by trying to institute a ban on it. That's just bigoted!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2007, 04:47:09 PM »

Uh huh, and today it means silly costume, laughs with friends, and the phone number of that cute girl in the Xena the Warrior Princess costume.

I'm starting to sense sour grapes from our party poopers.

This is a religious forum and we don't condone those things on here.

But on a religious forum, it's appropriate to entertain the idea of banning holidays that have nothing to do with us and have absolutely no bearing on our qualities of life?

No one's banning anything. Do you actually think a fun poll on the forum will actually succeed in banning a holiday? It wouldn't even if it was unanimous.

Oh, okay, so you're just doing this for fun? I'm sorry if I missed the intention behind this. I was taking you seriously. If this is just for the purpose of being silly and having fun, then that's okay. But if you're being serious, then there's something seriously wrong with that.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »

That is a self-hating comment. The two holidays have nothing in common. Dressing up isn't even the main part of Purim if that's why you compare them. Dressing up is not one of the 4 mitzvot of Purim and I don't dress up for Purim and think it's silly although I did when I was a little kid. I dressed as people from The Megillah. I think it's silly the way people dress up as all these different things like people do on Halloween.

This is not a self-hating comment. I was being sarcastic and was phrasing this from the perspective of a non-Jew saying this to you to see how you would like it, and was trying to point out how much of an "other-hating" and intolerant comment you are exhibiting by posting this type of question.

If you don't like the holiday, then just don't celebrate it. But don't try to impose your beliefs on other people by trying to institute a ban on it. That's just bigoted!

I'm not Jewish and have the same opinion as Yacov atleast on this issue; and please Daniel don't try to teach us  "tolerance"; you start to sound like one of this liberal selfhating selthrigteus hipocrites of "mosaic persuasion" from UCLA or ADL. They're things more importent that PC idol of  "tolerance" the Law of G-d is one of them; if the  this holyday is indeed heathen it must be banned from every christian and jewish country.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »
Agreed.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »

I'm just happy for the excuse to dress up in a fun costume, and hit on/get hit on, by women, who are also dressed up in fun costumes.  :D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

kellymaureen

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »
I'm just happy for the excuse to dress up in a fun costume, and hit on/get hit on, by women, who are also dressed up in fun costumes. 

Im in it for the chocolate :D

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »
I'm just happy for the excuse to dress up in a fun costume, and hit on/get hit on, by women, who are also dressed up in fun costumes. 

Im in it for the chocolate :D

Heading out for Godivas right now  ;)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2007, 08:22:10 PM »

I'm just happy for the excuse to dress up in a fun costume, and hit on/get hit on, by women, who are also dressed up in fun costumes.  :D
In a religious forum I think we should try to avoid inappropriate sexual comments like that....
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »

In a religious forum I think we should try to avoid inappropriate sexual comments like that....

You don't date? It's a part of life. Try it some time, you might like it. Nothing in the Torah against it. Are we Jews or Puritans at Jamestown?  8)

lou, we are varied people here, and adults, and nothing overt is being discussed, simply light banter, this thread is about something as silly as Halloween after all. Are you so easily shocked? You should get out more.  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:29:10 PM by NewYorker »

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »

You don't date? It's a part of life. Try it some time, you might like it. Nothing in the Torah against it. Are we Jews or Puritans at Jamestown?  8)
There is a difference between dating and just hitting on women. Dating involves building a relationship whereas hitting on random women is wrong.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2007, 08:29:21 PM »
Hey I liked the puritons! :)

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »

There is a difference between dating and just hitting on women. Dating involves building a relationship whereas hitting on random women is wrong.

Well hitting on them, or the girls hitting on you, is how you get the first date! ::) Lol, if you're lucky then there's a second and then a third, then you are dating, how do you do it if you don't hit on each other to begin with?  :)

Oh and there's nothing random about it, only the attractive interesting ones get hit on!  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:39:12 PM by NewYorker »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »

lou, we are varied people here, and adults, and nothing overt is being discussed, simply light banter, this thread is about something as silly as Halloween after all. Are you so easily shocked? You should get out more.  :D

Dating is to find a wife, not recreation. All other dating is prohibited by Torah Law. Pre-marital kissing and especially pre-marital sex are absolutely forbidden. I don't even hug women. If a woman is really attractive, it's even better not to shake her hand because it is bad for my Evil Inclination.

Hey, I'm 40 kiddo, get back to me in 20 years and let me know if you feel the same way. Best of luck to you though.  :)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »

there is nothign wrong with hitting on women..if you don't like doing it, then don't do it...some of us here like to talk to pretty women.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:03:45 PM by dannycookie57 »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

kellymaureen

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2007, 09:12:47 PM »
set up with women for marriage

Do you mean as in an arranged marriage?

kellymaureen

« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »
That sounds reasonable, but the arranged marriage where someone is told "hey heres your future wife, enjoy" is not cool, imagine marrying somone you just met, its ridiculous.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »
Arranged inst the worst thing in the world.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »

Dating is to find a wife, not recreation. All other dating is prohibited by Torah Law. Pre-marital kissing and especially pre-marital sex are absolutely forbidden. I don't even hug women. If a woman is really attractive, it's even better not to shake her hand because it is bad for my Evil Inclination.

Hey, I'm 40 kiddo, get back to me in 20 years and let me know if you feel the same way. Best of luck to you though.  :)

Well obviously your life style of finding women didn't work. If you would have been set up with women for marriage, you would have been married by now.

Well that's simply circumstancial. I, like a lot a of people, are on their own on this particular aspect of their lives. Out there meeting people, getting into relationships, and they either blossom or not. Some even get married and it doesn't work out (some do), and there you are out there dating again, or you're married forever, but in the modern world, nothing is garunteed.

I for one have been in and out of relationships, some of them lasting for a very long time, but none of them resulting in getting married, and even if so, hey those could have succeeded or failed as well. That's life, no garuntees. I hope you really "luck out" and avoid needing these kinds of reality lessons in the years to come and you meet someone as idealogical as yourself, and she makes sure things stay together. But if you don't luck out, you can't be ridged in your thinking, there's many ways of life that can be quite happy that don't fit into a rigid script of boy meets girl, gets married and makes a family. Sometimes you have what you are dealt, and you make the best of it. Hey, I'm chillin' and loving life, actually, it's a lot of fun not having the traditional responsibilities, and I'm cognizant enough to recognize it.   8)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »
People can learn to love each other.Its not what we want  but its doable through the pain.

kellymaureen

« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »
Arranged inst the worst thing in the world

Depends on who with ;)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2007, 09:42:52 PM »
People can learn to love each other.Its not what we want  but its doable through the pain.

iagree
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein